Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: What to do in Scotland?
donut

posted on 19/3/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
What to do in Scotland?

Going to Scotland soon and wondered if there was anything worth seeing while i was there (except the wonderful scenery!!) I'll be in Fort William for 3 days and Edinburgh for 2 days. I'll be with the wife and 2 boys, ages 9 and 12.

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
saigonij

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:00 PM Reply With Quote
lochness and urquart castle are lovely places.
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
It will be raining in Fort William, it always rains there, always. My commiserations for having to come into this country it’s very gloomy right now. If you like skiing there is snow on Nevis http://ski.visitscotland.com/conditions/nevis/ one of the better ski slopes, ski hire at the ski shop at the beginning of the town

Edinburgh has a great Science museum takes a long time to go through it.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
donut

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Me ski erm i don't fink so! My avater is pretty correct!!

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Edinburgh castle is well worth a trip with an excellent museum. Loads of weapons and so on so the boys will no doubt love it!!
speedyxjs

posted on 19/3/08 at 05:51 PM Reply With Quote
Im taking my sisters to scotland at the beginning of april and we're going up nevis. There is also a whale and dolphin place at moray firth we have had orders to go there

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

dave1888

posted on 19/3/08 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Mango's lovely warm garage in Cardenden is worth a visit its free admission. Edinburgh Castle and Dynamic earth seem popular.
Macbeast

posted on 19/3/08 at 06:31 PM Reply With Quote
I thought Fort William itself was a bit of a hole. Oban is not far off and much nicer. Glencoe is not far and is spooky on a dull day.

In Edinburgh try to visit the Camera Obscura (just down from the castle) Fun in itself and some optical stuff for the kids.

Statue of Greyfriars Bobby - you must have seen the film - is also nearby.

Go and sneer at the modern highly-expensive Parliament building ( build yirselves a bittie Parliament fur £410 Million - 10 times ooer ra budgit).

Have a great time

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 19/3/08 at 06:46 PM Reply With Quote
The kids will love the museum in Edinburgh (You and Mrs Donut will as well) If you are on the M8 come off at junction 4 and i will show you the site of the great locost fire of Armadale

tegwin

posted on 19/3/08 at 06:53 PM Reply With Quote
Hire some bikes and do some of the biking trails in fortwilliam!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

bobs bangers

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:07 PM Reply With Quote
Get some fishing in !!
mackei23b

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:08 PM Reply With Quote
You can take a siteseeing trip on the Gondola at Nevis Range, or the Chairlift at Glencoe Ski Centre.
iank

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Edinburgh castle - expensive and make sure you are around at the 1pm gun (Mon-Sat) my kids loved that

There's the zoo
http://www.edinburghzoo.org.uk/

The Botanic Gardens
http://www.rbge.org.uk/

But personally I'd take the 2 hour drive to Loch Lomond any day rather than trawl around shopping.
http://www.lochlomond-trossachs.org/

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

Macbeast

posted on 19/3/08 at 07:40 PM Reply With Quote
Edinburgh Castle - Pets cemetery where the soldiers' pets are buried - also Mons Meg - huge cannon.
trextr7monkey

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
Drive out to Queensferry and get cracking views of both bridges close up from quaint high street- my 2 thought it was veryimpressive - tried getting the photo holding a bridge in the hands etc

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

omega 24 v6

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Lots of good advice but you all missed out Deepsea World at south Queensferry. Don't miss the roundabout/slip road as you'll end up back across the bridge before you can turn Don't ask how I know. But seeing the guys face in the tollboth(gone now) was a laugh(yes I purposely went to the same one). It was like deja vu all over again.

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

caber

posted on 19/3/08 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
No one mentioned Holyrood Palace or the Queen's Gallery though maybe not the best for the kids but you can also visit Edinburgh's tame mountain, Arthur's Seat.

The Museum's a really good bet especially if it is raining though, lots of good stuff and well displayed. If you are there at the right time there are a couple of steam engines that run under compressed air, one is a full size beam engine complete with it's building!

Fair few Locosters around as well though we will probably all be busy in our lockups unless it is sunny

Caber

mcerd1

posted on 19/3/08 at 09:48 PM Reply With Quote
I take it a little stroll up Ben Nevis isn't on the cards then

Me and a few mates camped on the top at new year, it was only -4
(it took 7 hours to climb with all the kit we had - and 5 hours to get back down again)

[Edited on 19/3/08 by mcerd1]

jono_misfit

posted on 20/3/08 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
When in Fort William cycle the world cup course, they downhill is good.

When in edinburgh ignore all the touristy things and go to Glentress (about 1/2hrs drive) hire some bikes and cycle the trails there. Excelent day out.

If you fancy touristy things Our Dynamic Earth, Edinburgh Dungeon, camera obscura are all good.

Except for cycling i find Fort Bill a bit lacking for things to do.

JoelP

posted on 20/3/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
whatever you do, dont leave til you've had a glasgow kiss!

quote:

A headbutt. Within Glasgow itself the term 'Gorbals kiss' is often used, referring to the most dangerous area of Glasgow. It is hypothesised that within Gorbals it is known as a Crown Street kiss; and on Crown Street it is called a Number 73 kiss; and at Number 73 it is known as Steve's kiss. Steve, however, calls it whatever the f**k he wants to.

Schrodinger

posted on 20/3/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
The whisky centre near the castle

Keith
Aviemore

donut

posted on 20/3/08 at 08:01 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks peeps! Much to think about.

I'll try and persuade Mrs donut to pop into MAC1 to see how my chassis is getting on and sample the new coffee machine!

Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.