Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Wife wants a new car...but what? £10K ish.
zetec

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wife wants a new car...but what? £10K ish.

For some strange reason my wife thinks her Volvo estate (2003 V70)is just a bit too big and not really the sort of car for her image . It was great when the kids were smaller and extra 2 seats in the boot came in very handy for kids taxi duties, but they are getting too big for them now so not used.

We had a look at a Merc CLK 320 (2000 year) drop top which looked very nice, roof makes it just as usable as coupe...but after a test drive not too sure, felt a bit sluggish and hardly a sporty feel (Volvo felt more nimble!). Might be a good thing as I seem to have stured up the Merc forum by suggesting that their cars might not be as good as they like to think!

I suggested a BMW 3 series but she keeps on about wanting something different. Any suggestions..

Budget up to £10K ish, 4/5 seats, auto and safe but sporty, she does low miles so fuel consumption not too much of an issue. Ford out the running as well as Vx and most of the Japs...Dont leave much!

And before anyone asks must be CEC as she might need to go in reverse every so often and doesn't want the engine and gearbox to go bang every 100 miles..

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

thunderace

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
the astra twintop is a great car
just got my mrs a top spec new one for £25,000

im sure you could pic mint one up for around £10000-£12000 second hand.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2759
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
A bec would ideal as not many woman seem to have a clue about reversing anyway.
jlparsons

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
I'm getting swmbo a focus 1.6 diesel estate. 15k new, at 3 years about 7-8k for low milage.

65mpg on the motorway, safe, cheap, big boot, should do 150-200k miles without needing serious attention. Also reputed to be nicer to drive than the astra or megane, though I couldn't really tell much difference but it is more economical than both.

THat was the compromise - get rid of the brand new bmw and get her the focus, I'll have her clio for the commute when it's raining and build the kit car with the change.

Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Some assembly required. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Subject to approval, terms and conditions apply. Apply only to affected area. For recreational use only. All models over 18 years of age. No user-serviceable parts inside. Subject to change. As seen on TV. One size fits all. May contain nuts. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly.

speedyxjs

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:40 PM Reply With Quote
I would say a 2000/2001 jag xj but they are about the same size as the volvo How about a honda civic?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

rash

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
we looked at the clk and thought how sluggish it was so ended up with volvo c70 coupe t5 wasnt dissapionted
rash

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:48 PM Reply With Quote
we looked at te clk and thought how sluggish it was so ended up with volvo c70 coupe t5 wasnt dissapionted
andrew.carwithen

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
How about an Alfa Romeo 156 GTA?
3.2 V6 250bhp 0-60 approx. 6 secs and 150mph
beautiful 4-door saloon (about the same size as the original 3 series beemer)with a glorious engine note and the exclusvity you require!

(Be warned though, once bitten, its very difficult to lose the Alfa bug!)

westf27

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
change her image....sorted
skodaman

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
How about an Italian supercar for under ten grand as per Top Gear
Being serious I suppose I'd get a Focus

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
skodaman

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:19 PM Reply With Quote
How about an Italian supercar for under ten grand as per Top Gear
Being serious I suppose I'd get a Focus

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
britishtrident

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
Worth taking a look at Mazda --- they are pretty bullet proof and retain good resale value years down the line..

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

TimC

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
Stickinng with the Merc theme:
Maybe sluggish again thousgh...

Hellfire

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I had a similar decision to make recently for the wife, except for the auto box. Must have 5 doors, not too big, quite sporty, etc. Ended up buying a Renaultsport Megane 225. Amazing performance for a car engine 0-60 in 6.5 secs and 147mph (allegedly) and superb handling. She loves it, even though she doesn't make use of it's potential (unlike myself, who tries to at weekends )

Phil

Schrodinger

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
How about a Saab 1.9 Tdi 150

Keith
Aviemore

zetec

posted on 24/3/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks chaps. Did the Alfa (GTV) thing and still having therapy . I've got a Focus and love it. SL looks good but they all seem to be a bit too soft and aimed too much at the Yanks.
I'd go for either the Volvo or Saab but what's the chances of her listening to me!

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

posted on 25/3/08 at 12:27 AM Reply With Quote
A2 ?

My son has an A2 for sale. Not auto though.

Pic in my photo archive. (bottom one)

Paul G

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.