Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car Engines
caber

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:22 PM Reply With Quote
Car Engines

Any sugestions for a 4 pot car engine, ally block and head, less than 1549cc , easy to bolt to a Type 9 gearbox? Contemplating a higher tech engine for the Mk 2 than the 1600 Pinto that I happen to have handy at the moment. Also still looking for locost solution!

Caber

zilspeed

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:41 PM Reply With Quote
Daewoo D-tec ?

1500cc (ish)

Essentially a Vauxhall engine so bellhousings available from SBD et al.

Or K series more like the thing. Such a great engine IMHO. The Zil GTM Rossa K3 had one of these and it had 64ft times comparable to lots of much higher tech stuff.

Lots of bellhousings available, and blatchat will regularly throw up tuning bits.

alistairolsen

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
vauxhall 1400 16v?

not sure on the tuning possibilities with the daewoo unit

new fiesta engines?

Why 1549?

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/3/08 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
i would completely agree with zilspeed

i have a 100000 mile 1600 k series in my tintop and it runs like a dream.

also i have a 2 lt daewoo d-tec back home sitting next to a 2 lt ecotec x20xev they are one and the same. You would assume this was the case with the 1600 d-tec also

the 1600 ecotec is a fantastic engine btw

that is of course if they are 1549 i cant remember

type 9 bellhousings are available

[Edited on 24/3/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

caber

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
1549cc = cheaper road tax ATM ! I thought about K series but they do have a certain reputation for warping head / bad head gasket problems. I will take a lpk at the Deawoo/Vauxhall as well. thanks

Caber

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
k-series do have a bad rep, but when my i suspected my HG was going at 70000 i took the plunge and did an overhaul, new HG with steel dowels

also there is a cooling issue which can be remedied fairly easily.

by installing steel dowels and doing the cooling mod you will not have any of the porblems the k series is infamous for.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

alistairolsen

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
the ecotec 1600 is ok, the original c16xe fromt he corsa gsi is better.

Both are like 1589cc or something, the daewoo unit is smaller capacity. Id assume it uses a standard vauxhall crank and rods, but Ive no idea on pistons :S

speedyxjs

posted on 24/3/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
Any sugestions for a 4 pot car engine

Only 4?

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

zilspeed

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by speedyxjs
quote:
Any sugestions for a 4 pot car engine

Only 4?

This is Scotland.

We have corners.

Guinness

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
Ford Sigma 1.6 / Zetec SE and lie? It's a 1595cc engine!

As used by Shawspeed to great effect, and I think it bolts up to a Type 9.

Mike

britishtrident

posted on 24/3/08 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
1549cc = cheaper road tax ATM ! I thought about K series but they do have a certain reputation for warping head / bad head gasket problems. I will take a lpk at the Deawoo/Vauxhall as well. thanks

Caber

Warped heads are UNKOWN on K series engines the head is very stiff, in 13 years working on and owning these engines I have never seen a single warped head.

What can happen is the silicone sealant tracks on the head gasket that between the oil and water ways get destroyed because of head shuffle.
Head shuffle is basically repeated differential expansion between the head and the block which creates movement which detaches the sealant from the gasket. Head shuffle is caused by loss of coolant circulation, which in turn is caused by one of two things.
(1) Hammering the engine before the thermostat opens -- Rover introduced a fix for this a thermostat that opens on flow pressure as well as temperature.
(2) Loss of coolant -- causing the system to airlock.
No real preventative cure for this except track down external leaks -- usually in order of likely hood the inlet manifold gasket, water pump or radiator.
As a rule the inlet manifold gasket should be changed as a service part about every 60000 miles and MUST be changed if any cylinder head work is carried out.

Often you hear stories of k series engines where a new head gasket was fitted unsuccessfully -- these stories always come from vehicles worked on by back street mechanics. Simple truth is the head gasket is seldom the original cause of the coolant loss and unless the original cause of the problem is tracked down the coolant loss stopped it will reoccur. Because the whole cooling system runs at high temperatures on the these cars the only way to find coolant leak is to pressure test the system when cold, which times 9 out of 10 will reveal a leaking inlet manifold gasket.

LandRover introduced a modded head gasket which comes in 2 parts and does away with the silicone tracks, it is cheaper than the original gasket.

The K series is a particularly easy engine to work on and the 104 bhp 1.4 litre is dirt cheap to buy attached to a Rover 214sei

[Edited on 24/3/08 by britishtrident]

[Edited on 24/3/08 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

coozer

posted on 24/3/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
1.5 TD Isuzu out of a Corsa. Put a bleed off thingy on it and whoosh!! Off you go

Mine was very fast and ran on veg oil OK.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

nz_climber

posted on 26/3/08 at 05:34 AM Reply With Quote
I am going to have to say a toyota 4age 20V and bolt it to a t50 box.. its just a pity the honda b16A spins the wrong way for rwd set up (with out doing things like upside down diffs etc)
procomp

posted on 26/3/08 at 08:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi if it's lightness your after then as Guiness above says the Ford Zetec se units are the ones. 1400 as used in the junor ginettas and the 1600 as used in many kit cars. ( and MAWMAW on here with his shawspeed unit in kits ). And then there's the 1700 which can be taken up to 240 bhp at a cost.

Although these are Ford ( Yamaha ) units they do not bolt straight to the type nine box they need a conversion bell housing to mate to the box which are available from many sources.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mawmaw

posted on 21/7/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
yep zetec se, simple light and once you have got rid of leaks and surge reliable (LOOONNNGGG story!) bellhousing cable or hydraulic from shawspeed

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.