Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Best Type Of Welding For Chassis?
smart1275gt

posted on 24/3/08 at 07:49 PM Reply With Quote
Best Type Of Welding For Chassis?

Hi all,
Just thinking about a new project car and will need to design and fabricate a box steel chassis. Problem is I've never done this before and want to get it right first time. I'm thinking about a space frame style Mini road racer, but with a Smart car shell and a totally different powertrain. So what's the best material to use and what's the best type of welding to use? Tig Mig?

Cheers.

IDONTBELEIVEIT

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
most people tend to use 25x25x1.5mm ERW, tig and mig on ERW are equally as strong,mig is far quicker and if your any good can look nice also fairly easy,tig even neater slower and slightly more difficult

wayno!!!

Are We There Yet, Are We There Yet!!!!

Alan B

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
Would agree 100% except I'd say TIG is quite a bit more difficult.....IMO
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
lsdweb

posted on 24/3/08 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Or brazed............

caber

posted on 24/3/08 at 09:59 PM Reply With Quote
I find TIG much easier than MIG. I came from gas welding and use TIG just like a gas flame except no pops and bangs, more heat easier to control settings and you can work at your rate rather than the rate of the wire coming out the torch! It is difficult in tight corners. I find I always get excellent penetration and if you cut your tubes 100% accurate you need virtually no filler and get a flat weld assuming all metal is absolutely clean. Contrary to the experts you can fill holes with TIG if you play the flame like gas, but remember it is going to be a weak fill rather than a solid weld.

Caber

Fred W B

posted on 25/3/08 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
With Mig you can tack with one hand...

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

quinnj3

posted on 25/3/08 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
hi

you can tack with 1 hand when tig welding if your cuts are tight enough. Tig welding is apparently cooler than mig welding so in theory you should have less warping but it is very tricky to master. It is very satisfying to successfully weld with a Tig but will probably take hours of practise. If you have someone you know who can tig weld and spend a few hours teachng you it will really speed the learning process.

my aim is to build my own locost wether it takes me a week or 10 years to get started, i'm sure i will sometime

posted on 25/3/08 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
Good Penetration.

No lack of fusion.

No undercut.

Even build up.

These are your aims.
What process you use to achieve these doesn't matter much IMHO.

ATB
Paul G

aerosam

posted on 25/3/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
what about gasless MIG? I have a clarke 85ENB gasless mig, just wondering if it will be adequate.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.