Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: windows CE programming
the dave

posted on 25/3/08 at 06:52 PM Reply With Quote
windows CE programming

Let me first say i am not a programmer, but i have a rudientary understanding and could probably pick it up reasonably quickly.

What i would like to do i create a program for winCE to run on my navigo GPS (which runs wince funily enough) to use the USB port to interface with the serial output from my Omex ECU. I have some info about the comms and i simply need to develop something to read that data and then display it. I may want a couple of pages to fit all the data on.

Does anyone here have any information to help me get started e.g. what program to use to write the code, any tips on how to do it or better still any code i could use as a template/starting point.

Any help would be great,

Thanks

Pdlewis

posted on 25/3/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
Im not 100% sure but I think the Dev environment will all depend of which version of WinCE you are running as the .net librarys will be different.

I think Visual studio 2008 will allow you to choose the framework to compile the project in and has alot of nice features.

I dont know alot about CE but it shouldnt be to hard to write a service or app which streams data from your ecu into either .TXT, .XML or a compact version of SQL Server then have another application to report on the data captured one way of doing this may be to use report service .rdl files (SQL Server Reporting Services) and pass them pre canned data sets so no report service needs to be present to render the report. Apart from VS i think you can get the rest on free to use agreements so wont cost anything.

I know its a bit vague but may help may not

matt_claydon

posted on 25/3/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
Do you actually have the ability to run other programs on your GPS? Most satnavs run WinCE or whatever the latest version is called but you can't actually get to execute your own software as the OS is modified.
UncleFista

posted on 25/3/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
If it's the same as my Navigo, they're easy to hack, I have tomtom, turbodog and miomap on mine

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

the dave

posted on 25/3/08 at 10:27 PM Reply With Quote
It is the navigo that was on sale recently on ebuyer.

I have been led to believe it is easy enough to 'hack', quite how i do that is currently a mystery.

I would obviously like to do this cheaply, I may know someone who has the microsoft library, or at least access to let me borrow it. I would prefer to have a development environment that let me create the code and the GUI, although it is only a 3.5" screen so it would have to be pretty simple.

The OS is Win CE.NET 5.0.

It would be nice to be able to switch between the GPS program and mine easily.

I understood the principle of executing two threads, one to stream the data to RAM or the flash drive (depending on the max number of writes for these flash cards) and then accessing the same memory for GUI to read it's values from at a set rate.

Then you lost me,,

use report service .rdl files (SQL Server Reporting Services) and pass them pre canned data sets so no report service needs to be present to render the report

I think there may be a trial VS out, if it would work for then i should give it a whirl. Otherwise i would be interested in alternative development environments if anyone has a suggestion.

Cheers

UncleFista

posted on 26/3/08 at 03:12 AM Reply With Quote
Dunno about all that tech stuff, I just followed simple instructions it involved plugging it into the PC using the USB and altering a couple of lines in it's registry.

Description
Description

All you need is HERE

[Edited on 26/3/08 by UncleFista]

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Pdlewis

posted on 26/3/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I have been having a think and not sure if SQL will run on the unit so discard the last bit

I think there are free versions of Visual Studio now i come to think of it under the 'Express' Label I would be really interested to see how you get on (you had me looking at the R1 loom last night to see if i could attach a logger some where so i could play )

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.