Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Too trailer with a car cover or not?
Guinness

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Too trailer with a car cover or not?

I'm taking the car on a 500 mile round trip this weekend, on a mates trailer. The forecast is for heavy rain all weekend, so I'm thinking of putting the car cover back on, once it's loaded onto the trailer.

But will the flapping damage the gel coat? Or is it likely to get ripped to pieces?

Cheers

Mike

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:09 AM Reply With Quote
I'd recommend you instead go to B&Q and buy some heavy polythene sheet, it's quite cheap, plus a heap of cord. Just wrap it up good and tight, you could add a disposable dust sheet under the cover (or a bed sheet) to protect the paint.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
pewe

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
I always used to put the poly sheet on the deck at the front then drive the front wheels onto it to make sure it stayed put, pull it over the car to cover the whole lot, then a length of builders rope all around the underside of the car to trap the sheet. Stop after a few miles to check any flapping bits.
BOL, Pewe
PS Still due 'oop North but not yet finalised.

Jubal

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:59 AM Reply With Quote
I have towed my car all over with and without covers. I have decided that the flapping and hassle of tieing down isn't worth it and I now take the cover with me for those overnight stops but trailer uncovered. The car soon dries when the rain stops and unless the trailer is fully boarded the underside of the car will be soaking anyway.
onzarob

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jubal
I have towed my car all over with and without covers. I have decided that the flapping and hassle of tieing down isn't worth it and I now take the cover with me for those overnight stops but trailer uncovered. The car soon dries when the rain stops and unless the trailer is fully boarded the underside of the car will be soaking anyway.

I would think that water is less abrasive than a plastic sheet

cover your dash and seats would be the best option IMO

02GF74

posted on 27/3/08 at 04:34 PM Reply With Quote
If you have an old blanket or sheets, put them between the tarp and car bodywork, ensuring they will not fly off.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.