Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: XE head bolts
triumphdave

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
XE head bolts

Is it O.K to reuse the head bolts on my XE,they are new but have been torqued up once already.Same with the head gasket.I suspect that the gasket would have been squished so is not reusable.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

Mr Whippy

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:34 AM Reply With Quote
not sure about the bolts but there's no way I'd reuse a fiber gasket

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrsgrain

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:38 AM Reply With Quote
I can't help with your bolt question - but does this mean that the engine is getting sorted??

Chris

Spoing! - the sound of an irony meter breaking...

AndyW

posted on 27/3/08 at 10:48 AM Reply With Quote
Re use the bolts as vm didn't use stretch bolts, but change the gasket.
TOO BADD

posted on 27/3/08 at 11:21 AM Reply With Quote
Always renewed bolts as mine have always been stretch on my xe as the xe has an ali head the stretched are no good again. I now have ARP studs as the compression is up to 11.5:1 now. Chuck the old h/gasket away. Anyway it aint a lot for new bolts.

[Edited on 27/3/08 by TOO BADD]

blakep82

posted on 27/3/08 at 12:42 PM Reply With Quote
i'd always change the bolts. better safe than sorry!

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

cidersurfer

posted on 27/3/08 at 02:54 PM Reply With Quote
The head bolts are not supposed to be re-used. Be careful as there are two different versions for older and newer engines. They are readily available from Autovaux.

shimming solid lifters is a job for a friend...

triumphdave

posted on 27/3/08 at 03:01 PM Reply With Quote
New bolts it is then,I was going to change the gasket anyway,Cheers guys.

quote:

I can't help with your bolt question - but does this mean that the engine is getting sorted??

I have sent the head back,I am hoping he will sort it.Bottom end looks fine.

If you always do what you have always done you will always get what you have always got

david walker

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Just to confirm, XE bolts are supposed to be replaced but if you look at them it'll take more than 80Nm to stretch them! If it were my engine as opposed to a customers I would have no hesitation in re-using them if they are new.

Stretch bolts do not always go with ali heads and vica versa. Japs hardly ever used to use stretch bolts.

Haven't ARP done a fantastic job marketing bolts!!! How did we used to go on 15, 20 years ago before they came along! 11.5:1 shouldn't neccestitate ARP head studs. All my XE engines have run up there and all have run with std head bolts and more recently the later type of turbo steel head gaskets. Had plenty of probs with the bloody engines but never head gaskets!

[Edited on 27/3/08 by david walker]

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

NS Dev

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
agreed on the later turbo laminated headgaskets.

My mate over the road is running an XE turbo in his kadett b coupe with 300-360hp ish (rollers didn't go high enough) and he uses a std vauxhall laminated steel gasket.....is it a zafira vxr one iirc?

Ditto on the head bolts, he's actually managed to pull the threads out of a block but never had the bolt let go of the gasket!

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

TOO BADD

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
As to using ARP studs I also use ARP bolts on the rods as many many people do. I have used these for insurance. If you have just spent £4000 on a decent motor I reckon another £100 or so aint too much for peace of mind. I suppose its like oil do you fancy a cheap Tesco can or would you pay more, they all serve the same purpose dont they You pay your money and you take your choice !!
By the way I pay top money and use Millers so that really is probably going over the top eh !

NS Dev

posted on 27/3/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oh yep you don't want std rod bolts!!!!

that would be a big mistake!!!

Don't have to be ARP though, there are other suppliers.

I use Northbridge motorsport in leicester, who make them themselves, guess they ain't bad as the motorsport bit is just a small "offshoot" their main business is aircraft fastener manufacturing.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

david walker

posted on 28/3/08 at 05:10 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, of course rod bolts in Vauxhalls!

Nat, does your supplier do them for smaller Vauxhalls also? Wouldn't mind contact details.

Thanks, Dave

Dave Walker, Race Engine Services - 07957 454659 or 01636 671277

NS Dev

posted on 28/3/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Don't know about other ones unfortunately Dave, but here's the details:

Northbridge Motorsport
Unit 16
Viking Road
Wigston
Leicester
LE18 2BL
ENGLAND

Tel. +44 (0) 116 257 2934
Fax. +44 (0) 116 257 2932
Email: sales@northbridgemotorsport.com

[Edited on 28/3/08 by NS Dev]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.