Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: paypal dispute
smart51

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
paypal dispute

Following on from an earlier thread, My paypal dispute has been sent to paypal for their decission by the seller. What is the likelihood that they'll find in my favour?

I bought something off ebay. Paid the £10.00 cost plus the £7.00 postage costs. This was Thursday at two o'clock. On Friday afternoon I went away for the weekend and didn't get back until Monday afternoon. In the mean time the seller came round, found I was out, put the item in the bin and a note through the door. Monday mornings the bins are emptied and so the item was gone before I went home. After no response to emails, I raised a dispute with paypal, stating what had happened. We each posted a few messages, I turned down a 50% refund and he has escalated the claim to paypal for adjudication. He reckons I should have told him I was going away and thinks it was quite reasonable for him to come round to my house without hearing from me to deliver the item, then to leave it in the dustbin. His last message accused me of finding the item and trying to get my money back as well. How good are paypal at sorting these things out?

Jubal

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
You'll probably be alright. He can't prove he delivered it so they will find in your favour. When selling you have to have absolute proof of delivery (signature of receipt). Ideally you should never have entered into discussion about who left what where and when, you should have just filed a non-delivery dispute.
Miks15

posted on 2/4/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
i agree with jubal,
He cant actually prove that he has delivered it therefore they should be realise that hes at fault. Would be very very surprised if they went the other way

UncleFista

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
They automatically refund unless he has proof of "delivery" from a recognised courier.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

JohnN

posted on 2/4/08 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
I've had 2 disputes adjudicated in my favour by PayPal, and subsequent (uwarranted) negative feedback removed.

My seller sent me broken goods, I couldn't agree with him, raised a dispute, sent them back, he claimed they were'nt what he had sent etc, all B%$£cks. PayPal decided in my favour, mainly, I think, based on my feedback vs his and that I cooperated with them and had proof of postage returns etc.

I believe PayPal will find in your favour, it takes a while and paypal base their judgment on cooperation and facts. The fact is your seller has no proof, and what he says he's done is barely believeable and plain stupid. (to leave your purchase in the bin). I wouldn't mind betting he never left it at all

What was his feedback rating?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 2/4/08 at 10:29 PM Reply With Quote
If he advertised postage at £7 for say eg "Royal Mail 1st class" and you paid the postage costs then he should have posted it Royal Mail 1st class - simple as that really!! If he's admitted he hand delivered and put it in the bin / left it on the doorstep / whatever - its got to be his responsibility surely!! He is the one who broke the delivery terms stated in his own advert.
owelly

posted on 2/4/08 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
A work colleague sold a mountain bike for £250(ish) via Ebay and the buyer asked my mate for his bank details so he could transfer the money straight to his account. My mate obliged and the money was in his account an hour or so later so my chum boxed and wrapped the bike and off it went. A few days later the guy sends my chum an email saying that the frame was cracked on the bike and he'd like his money back. As my chum is and honest sort of person he agreed. He sent a cheque to the guy for the bike and the guy posted the bike back. Well, he posted a bike back. To be precise he sent a random selection of bike spares and the frame off a childs scooter.
My chum emailed him several times but got no reply so he started the dispute thing with Ebay. They considered the facts and as Paypal wasn't involved, they told my mate to contact the plod. He did that and the plod just told him to take the guy to the small claims court.
I looked at the guys Ebay history and contacted the folks he'd bought stuff off and he'd done similar stunts with them!
Clever??

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
carpmart

posted on 3/4/08 at 06:37 AM Reply With Quote
Whatever way you look at this situation it is just theft!

quote:
Originally posted by owelly
A work colleague sold a mountain bike for £250(ish) via Ebay and the buyer asked my mate for his bank details so he could transfer the money straight to his account. My mate obliged and the money was in his account an hour or so later so my chum boxed and wrapped the bike and off it went. A few days later the guy sends my chum an email saying that the frame was cracked on the bike and he'd like his money back. As my chum is and honest sort of person he agreed. He sent a cheque to the guy for the bike and the guy posted the bike back. Well, he posted a bike back. To be precise he sent a random selection of bike spares and the frame off a childs scooter.
My chum emailed him several times but got no reply so he started the dispute thing with Ebay. They considered the facts and as Paypal wasn't involved, they told my mate to contact the plod. He did that and the plod just told him to take the guy to the small claims court.
I looked at the guys Ebay history and contacted the folks he'd bought stuff off and he'd done similar stunts with them!
Clever??

You only live once - make the most of it!

Radical Clubsport, Kwaker motor
'94 MX5 MK1, 1.8
F10 M5 - 600bhp Daily Hack
Range Rover Sport - Wife's Car
Mercedes A class - Son's Car

speedyxjs

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:33 AM Reply With Quote
There is WAY too much of this on ebay

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

02GF74

posted on 3/4/08 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
^^^^ that's omne I've not heard ofbefore - but lesson is do not send refund until returned goods have arrived.

good luck with the payupal thing - my experience is they try to get involved as least as possible since it costs them money (and time whcih = money)

jono_misfit

posted on 3/4/08 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by owelly
Clever??

If it was posted to an address id have gone round personally to have a word with them if the police wont do anything. Theiving scum. No different to them directly stealing something.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.