Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: ebay numpty
UncleFista

posted on 6/4/08 at 10:24 PM Reply With Quote
ebay numpty

I bid on a 1.8 silvertop Zetec on ebay locally, and won it for 99p

Now, I'm an ebay veteran, so I emailed the bloke and said that I wouldn't hold him to the 99p price, but if he wanted the space I'd give him £25 (which is what I bid up to) otherwise he could relist it with no comeback from me.

AFAIK I can't do any fairer. Anyway after being ignored for a week I've just had this email through ebay "SORRY MATE HAVE BEEN AWAY AND WAS GONNA GET IN TOUCH, THE CAR HAS BEEN STOLEN.".

I'm rather annoyed, for the sake of a few pence he should've set a reserve, or at the very least replied saying he'd like to relist it

Bugger

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

DarrenW

posted on 6/4/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
You are a nice guy but maybe too nice for 'tinternet scum. You played it like i would - unfortunately too honest. what can we do??????

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/4/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
Think you were more than fair and to be honest if he listed it in an auction with no reserve and only got 99p then i'd have held him to it!!

Personally i'd be reporting him to ebay. Cant go around making up excuses every time you dont get what you want in an auction just to save a few pennies on the listing fees each time

UncleFista

posted on 6/4/08 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
I've just left him this -feedback

"Ignored me, then tells me the item has been "stolen", set a reserve next time..."

I feel much better

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Paul TigerB6

posted on 6/4/08 at 10:47 PM Reply With Quote
Dont suppose he dared relisted it did he?? Report the bugger if he does!!
Jon Hazan

posted on 6/4/08 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
I had exactly the saem happen to me with a set of bike carbs i won for 99p. First got an email saying that it would cost £50 for the p&p and then that he had sold it locally when i offered to organise a courier.

There should be far more that you should be able to do to them through ebay rather than just calling it quits. These characters are such pains.

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 7/4/08 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
We won 2 Mini boot lids on Ebay for 99p each and when my son handed over the 2 pounds and put his hand out for the change you should have seen the look on the guys face

Ps How do you get a pound sign to work. I work for an American company and its only the $ sign that works on this computer?

02GF74

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:09 AM Reply With Quote
swines!!!

sometimes you do come across the opposite - I won a LR rear spring for 99 p (seems to be the magic number), drove to collect it and offered the seller more money but he refused, even after I stamped on him and whipped him with a willow branch.

balidey

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
I've won stuff for £1 before and felt really ashamed to hand it over (was going to give them more but it was all I had in my pocket, honest).
But I've also won stuff for £1 and then had the seller say i'm not having it for that. One time I told them to get stuffed, the other time I paid what he wanted (still a bargain though).

On the flip side of that I've sold stuff really cheap and by the time you take out ebay and paypal rip off fees i've been out of pocket, so should I have then asked for more money?

Its swings and roundabouts.

D Beddows

posted on 7/4/08 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
It's happening more and more this - I 'bought' an engine for £50 about a month ago (they usually go for at least £350) arranged a time to pick it up...... then the seller phoned me up and said he couldn't manage the time arranged as he 'had to go out with his girlfriend instead' !!!! Since then he hasn't answered my emails or the phone number he gave me.......

If you want a certain price for something put a ****ing reserve on it don't p*ss people about if you don't think you've got enough for it

MikeR

posted on 7/4/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
I sold some stuff, bloke won it for 99p, tried 3 or 4 times to pay me more. I told him to sod off, he'd won it for 99p, as long as it went to a good home i was happy. He went away with the rear springs + some other bits i threw in chuffed to bits.
mcerd1

posted on 7/4/08 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TGR-ECOSSE
Ps How do you get a pound sign to work. I work for an American company and its only the $ sign that works on this computer?

is it a UK keyboard ?
(i.e. does it have £ on the '3' key, $ on '4' etc....)

if its a UK keyboard and you can't get the £ - then your windows languages / keyboard setting arn't right (XP?)

windows defaults to american settings - you'll find the options in the control panel under 'regional and language options'

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:10 AM Reply With Quote
It's not an actual computer its just a small box thing that runs through 1 of 7 servers and the control panel is disabled !!!

mcerd1

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:19 AM Reply With Quote
can you get the Character Map ?

it normally hides here if you've no shortcut 'C:\Windows\system32\charmap.exe'

thats your best bet I'm afraid, otherwise copy and paste it from another post

here you go

£££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££££

TGR-ECOSSE

posted on 7/4/08 at 09:31 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks thats a £1 i owe you

James

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
TGR,

Alt-156 will do it for you too.

Probably quicker than running up character map.

HTH,
James

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali

mcerd1

posted on 7/4/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by James
TGR,

Alt-156 will do it for you too.

Probably quicker than running up character map.

HTH,
James

Yeah, that too (I forgot about that )

out of interest how come the 3 and 4 digit ones have differnt codes but both work :?

e.g:

Alt+156 = £
Alt+0163 = £

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.