Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R1 oil pressure
markyb

posted on 10/4/08 at 11:05 PM Reply With Quote
R1 oil pressure

Having read numerous threads ref getting a reading for oil pressure I am looking at getting a sandwich plate for the oil filter and getting the reading from their.

I want to check I am doing the right thing before commiting the cash.

Would this link
do the job along with any electrical oil pressure guage and sender ? would I need anything else ?

Also is m20 x 1.5 the correct thread for for the sandwich plate on an 03 R1 ?

In case it makes a difference I am not running an oil cooler

cheers

adithorp

posted on 10/4/08 at 11:39 PM Reply With Quote
I took mine off the main gallery end plug (one each end) as thats where Yamaha test it. Very easy to do as well, though I can't remember the thread size.

adrian

[Edited on 10/4/08 by adithorp]

nitram38

posted on 11/4/08 at 07:21 AM Reply With Quote
As said, it will be easier and probably cheaper to tap the oil gallery plug or the centre bolt on the oil cooler.
I am going to get a new gallery plug made as the existing aluminium one looks a bit thin where the allen key goes in.
I would have used the oil cooler bolt, but because of my rear engine and exhaust, it will be easier from the side of it.
I have asked before, but does anyone know what the actual pressure is at idle?
I have been told it is around 10 psi. I know the manual says to test at 5000 rpm and it should be 32.5 psi.
I am going to fit a pressure switch too.

lsdweb

posted on 11/4/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
markyb

Which engine is it?

I've fitted oil pressure sensors to a 4XV (drilled oil cooler bolt) and to my current 5VY (adaptor into the oil gallery). A sandwich plate just complicates things, and adds weight!

Wyn

stuart_g

posted on 11/4/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
I have mine on the oil cooler bolt. I am using Reacetech pressure sender and gauge. Bolt needs to be tapped for 10x1 thread.

I have been told that the pressure senders can fail when mounted direct to the engine through vibrations so I plan to get a steel braded flexi and mount it remote on the chassis somewhere. I don't know if anyone else has experienced this.

Here's a pic of it now. Rescued attachment Oil pressure sender.JPG
Rescued attachment Oil pressure sender.JPG

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/4/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
I don't have an R1, I have a Suzuki, but they're the same in one respect - there's a gallery plug that you can drill and tap. This is what you want to do.
You then need a Racetech gauge and sender unit, and teeth to grit as you look at the (very accurate) readings through the corners...

markyb

posted on 11/4/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
thanks for the info everyone - I have never done a tap before and didnt want cutting into my engine to be my first time !!!

That was why I was looking at the sandwich plate option (plus the ease of installation)

Having looked at the pic that Stuart_g has put up I am wondering would a sandwich plate foul the pipe to the left of the oil filter.

Has anyone any pics of a sandwich plate in place ? Surely I am not the only one too afraid to drill to fit a sensor ?

nitram38

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just remove the bolt from the oil cooler and get a local engineer to drill/tap it.
It is easy to get a new bolt if things go wrong.

Bob C

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
I have same as stuart-g
still OK after a year & 500 miles...
Bob

markyb

posted on 11/4/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Nitram38 - I like the sound of someone else doing it !!! and would still be cheaper than a sandwich plate

will go away and look at that option

a bit o/t but anyone have any recommendations for buying R1 parts online - I did try the local bike place a few days ago but 'the computer has been down all day' so their world stopped spinning

nitram38

posted on 11/4/08 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
I need to do mine soon, but I plan on replacing the main oil gallery cap with a tapped brass adapter. I stuck a caliper on the original and it is 15.91mm so is probably a 16mm thread?
I am going to do a search on ebay etc before I have one made.
I'll let you know what I find.
If not I will get one or two made if you are interested?
Obviously I will go with the cheapest option.
I do have a brass adapter which seems to be the same tread pitch but only screws in about 3 threads. I don't want to wind it too tight as aluminium castings tend to crack and I can do with out a weld repair!
I am not sure if the thread on adapters are tapered?
I was wondering if a bit of pumbers tape would do it?

adithorp

posted on 11/4/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
Rally d and Europa do them or Durite part No 0-523-98 is a set of 3. 1/8npt M14 M16 M18 all x1.5

adrian

nitram38

posted on 11/4/08 at 02:37 PM Reply With Quote
Originally, I was going to fit an oil pressure switch, but reading on here and other sites, the pressure drops to about 6 psi at idle (32.5 psi @ 5000rpm).
Having a warning switch so low is probably why the R1 does not bother having one.
The R1 oil light works off the oil level switch.
Since that is the case, I will have to do the same and rely on my capilary gauge.

TimC

posted on 11/4/08 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
For this:

See this!

lsdweb

posted on 11/4/08 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
Oil temperature sender in sump and oil pressure sender, on end of braided hose tapped into blank in end of gallery. Here.

And what I did on the 4XV here.

Wyn

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.