Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: On and on and on an....
Simon

posted on 13/4/08 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
On and on and on an....

Well, I'd decided that today we'd go the Detling, have lunch then I'd collect old desktop PC from mother in law's as it might have serial ports. I can't get laptop to communicate with ECU (Emerald lead and adaptor and yes I've loaded the disc that came with adaptor) so thought I'd try another machine.

Got to MiL's looked at PC, it's got serial ports.

Get it home, decide I need to clear a space, so start car to get it out of garage.

Foot on clutch, can't engage gear. Ooops.

Get out, check fluid - fine. Oh rollocks, seized clutch. Push car out of garage, and tidy up. Put car in gear, and hit starter, clutch freed, wehay. Put car in garage and set up desktop. Load Emerald software, still not communicating!

Decide to sort oil leak to o/s turbo (banjo needs tightening). No matter how I try, I can't get spanner on. Right, take some of the old crap (Jag IRS) to work and while I'm there modify spanner. Get home, still can't tighten. Tomorrow will see a new spanner made from offcut.

Get bonnet from shed and start knocking off the mods I made a year ago.

Decide that before I can think about bonnet I have to fix scuttle. It needs moving back and interferes with column shroud, so modified scuttle with hacksaw, now need to modify shroud. Need to mount sidepanels, but can't till oil leak done .....................

Enough rambling, does it ever stop!

ATB

Simon

speedyxjs

posted on 14/4/08 at 06:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

Dont think it ever does

How long can i resist the temptation to drop a V8 in?

Paul TigerB6

posted on 14/4/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon

You own a kitcar and need to ask that question?? Then again, my Zetec Tiger needed far less fettling than the Saxo VTR i currently own (and cant wait to get shut of) - off the the autofactor soon for a new back box having replaced the centre pipe last month. I should have known it would go!!

[Edited on 14/4/08 by Paul TigerB6]

rusty nuts

posted on 14/4/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Simon. Is it worth checking the lead for continuity and correct connections at each end ? I'm sure I've seen a diagram for the lead somewhere possibly in the instructions that came with the ECU. Problem may be as simple as a faulty lead. I'm a complete numpty when it comes to computers but I never had any problems although I learnt a great deal about setting an engine up . Have you spoken to Emerald ? always found them to be very helpful.
Simon

posted on 14/4/08 at 10:30 PM Reply With Quote
Paul,

Kit Car, go and wash your mouth out with some Swarfega

This is a homebuilt jobby

Rusty,

Yeah tried that (audible ohms test) last week with a friend. Got a load of readings that didn't tally and I was about to email Emerald, when I wondered if we'd checked the cable the right way round - ie we'd looked at the pins from ECU/pc ends and numbered them when we should have held pins away and numbered them (from the back, so to speak). When I rechecked they were fine.

ATB

Simon

procomp

posted on 15/4/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
Hi do you have the right disc for your system. I have cars with the different versions Early - later and newer and the software will not communicate if hooked up too the wrong ecu/version. And I also had problems when trying to use a serial /usb converter.

Give Dave/Carl a call if no obvious problems.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Simon

posted on 15/4/08 at 11:14 PM Reply With Quote
Matt,

It's the disc that came in the same box as the ECU, so I assume it's the right one.

I'm returning it (and lead) to them on Thursday so they can check it's ok.

ATB

Simon

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.