Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fuel consumption
jacko

posted on 18/4/08 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Fuel consumption

Hi all bike engine fan's what miles to a gallon dose a bike engine do ie r1 /zx12 /zx9 etc etc
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jacko

posted on 18/4/08 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
I do that is why i am asking
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
DIY Si

posted on 18/4/08 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jacko

Then best not get one! Mine does/did when it last ran 10-15 mpg depending upon how I drove it, which was generally as if I'd stolen it! I've been told they can get up to 30 mpg on a run, but since I live out in the sticks that doesn't happen as I'm near permanently on a hoon.
PS, that's for a blackbird lump.

cossiebri

posted on 18/4/08 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
Last year on a run to the 'ring' averaged around 27-28 mpg at 70mph,around town getting 18-20 ish (zx9r c1). A mate in his redtop locost was normally putting in about £1-£1.50 more every stop

If it doesn't fit MODIFY it!!
Cheers BriF

Hugh_

posted on 18/4/08 at 08:09 PM Reply With Quote
I'm averaging about 24mpg in my Fireblade engined Fury, have seen 180 miles from a tank with a little left over, so probably nearly 35mpg (that was cruising at 65-68, just before the engine comes on cam).

DarrenW

posted on 18/4/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
New project G or are you defecting?

What does your car do? Im looking forward to sussing mine out on run to Stoneleigh after the carb conversion.

DarrenW

posted on 18/4/08 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chris mason
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
New project G or are you defecting?

What does your car do? Im looking forward to sussing mine out on run to Stoneleigh after the carb conversion.

makes me chuckle that quote Darren, maybe you should tell them the real reason, yours breaksdown twice for every gallon

with regards to Graham's question, 20+ unless your on track, in my experience anyway. Best for me was the s2000 got 36mpg when we did a cat and fiddle run, too much traffic kept the speed down to 50ish for quite a bit of the way.

Chris

[Edited on 18/4/08 by chris mason]

Give ower Chris. It broke down on its first ever decent run out and has been fault free ever since. I cant exactly be blamed for a brand new dizzy cap and ignition amp being faulty and failing in first 200 miles on road.

You just wouldnt let it lie.

DarrenW

posted on 18/4/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
I know - i was thinking that while i was typing

Judging by the results of my post ref Stoneleigh ill be travelling down alone anyway.

hobbsy

posted on 18/4/08 at 10:58 PM Reply With Quote
Mid 30's from my R1 5PW on a run.

Mid 20's in 50/50 caining it / driving sanely.

Mid 10's on track if permanently caining it but difficult to work out when not always filling up totally from jerry cans etc. It would well be a fair bit higher than that.

smart51

posted on 19/4/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
I have a 98 R1 BEC. In normal road use I get a little over 30 MPG. Normal being full throttle to the red line wherever appropriate. Long A road cruising sees over 35 MPG. On the track that drops to about 20 MPG, depending on the track.
NS Dev

posted on 19/4/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
mmmmm interesting!

i have no idea what my XE powered locost achieves in terms of mpg.

The same spec engine running the same mapping when fitted in my old opel manta used to do 30mpg on a run and 18 on a real thrash.

That weighed nearly double what the locost does though!

I reckon the locost does 35 on a run and the same 18 ish on a thrash.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

02GF74

posted on 19/4/08 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DIY Si
quote:
Originally posted by jacko

Then best not get one! Mine does/did when it last ran 10-15 mpg depending upon how I drove it,

Johnny Mac voice: YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS?!?!?!

I get that with my v8 Landie if I drive like a girl.

PS good to see someone else has cottoned onto the avatar theme

Hellfire

posted on 19/4/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Graham, our 893 Fireblade averaged 28mpg during normal road use. Substantially less on track.

Our ZX12R averages 19mpg during normal road use. Substantially less on track.

We're not anal about fuel consumption but we keep an accurate log of the mileage and fuel so we can split the costs relative to useage and it seemed logical to calculate the MPG. No figures for track use though.

Have you seen the light then......?

Phil

MkIndy7

posted on 19/4/08 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
This has got to have alot to do with how you drive the 7 in relation to a normal road car or the aerodynamics. i.e revving it higher just because you can etc and also because you build them for maximum smiles not miles!

The MPG figures quoted for the XE engine I get or have had better than that in a 1 tonne tin top, and surely putting it in a lighter car should mean it does more MPG.

Our Pinto on its standard carb a fast road cam and Megajolt was very good on the MPG as they were only slight improvements on the original rather than out and out performance mods.

I'm suprised that the ZX12 does less MPG than the Fireblade, surely with the ZX12 lump you can have it in a higher gear so it uses less fuel or is it that highly strung that it uses more!.

DIY Si

posted on 20/4/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
You could have it in a higher gear, but it just means you hold on to each gear to the red line! Mine can get along quite quickly if you keep it below 7-8 krpm, but it's much more fun going all the way up to 11! Hence the poor mpg. As you say though, it depends how you drive them. mine has only seen a duel carriage way three times! But since I live out in the sticks I'm always speeding up/slowing down/changing gear so my mpg will never be good. The wife 330i Msport, for example, only averages 24.5 mpg!
dhutch

posted on 7/5/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
So you should be able to get 30 out of a bec?
- Call that 10/15 on a trackday, maybe 65 on a smooth motorway run at 60mph.

Well that sounds fair enough. I currently get 38/39 out of the 306 if im doing gentle 65-70 long term (never seen 40) dropping to 35 average for normal mixed driving. (1.8 16v XU engined merdian)

What do your average cec's do then?
- Ive read a LOT of threads on bec mpg, but cossiebri's post in this thread is the first ive seen compairing bec's to cec's. Are they about the same?

Cheers, Daniel.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.