Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Buy it and strip it!
Kitcat

posted on 20/4/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Buy it and strip it!

Is it cost effective to buy a brand spanking new R1, which seem to be at low prices this time of year and strip out the engine, tail-pipes, wiring loom, battery, clocks, mirrors, indicators etc. and then sell off all the other unused parts which might be needed by someone who's binned their bike on track?

The logic was that all the parts are new and known and match up and that the overall cost after selling the bits won't be too far off that of scrabbling around in breakers yards.

Any thoughts? Thanks.

Richard

Dangle_kt

posted on 20/4/08 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Do the maths on it using completed item on ebay. I looked about buying a damaged repairable old blade, but it didn't add up. Plus I;ve broke bikes in the past, and you end up with assorted bits scattered all over your garage for years to come that you cant sell.

If you have the space, time and inclination to do it properly I;m sure a profit/break even can be had, it just might take a while to flog all the parts.

Kitcat

posted on 20/4/08 at 08:30 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, I was just totting up the costs of someone needing to replace a front wheel, tyre, forks, headset, fairing, foot pegs etc. which can so often be needed on an 'off', especially if the ones I were to have hadn't been used.
Davey D

posted on 20/4/08 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Thats what ive done.. i got hold of a brand new R1 in a crate, stripped off everything i need, and sold the rest on. you have peace of mind that everything you are using is in 100% perfect working order

granted you can get a cheaper engine, but you have no guarantees like brand new

StevieB

posted on 20/4/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Certainly something worth considering if you have the time and space and can withstand a long period before you recover any value.

If you want assurance you're getting a good engine, speak to Malc at Yorkshire Engines.

bobs bangers

posted on 20/4/08 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have bought a 2007 zx10R from Malc @ yorkshire engines. I am a car dealer with great contacts for the deal of a century on a new bike or I could have bought something off "blue cycle" a remarketing tool for insurers to sell to the trade.

I chose Malc because It is more cost effective for me to concentrate on my job as opposed to "dabbling " in an unknown. You may have more time or understanding of stripping bikes. Its easier for me to buy a car from a dealer and sell it to another dealer and make a few pounds in the time I would spend looking on blue cycle every day, then bidding, then collecting then stripping ! Another consideration is that included in the price. I got a wiring diagram. I got technical help and advice from malc and an engine with only a few hundred miles on it. Sorry if this sounds like an advert for Malc.... But he is good !

I hope this helps your consideration. It would be fun though to think you could get a seriously cheap engine after flogging all the other bits on ebay or similar. I wouldnt want to budget any of my costings on ebay prices as many items are not sold in reality and the continual hassle of dealing with messers depresses me ! Just my opinion as Ive met some great ebay customers and some absolute XXXXXX's.

Anyway good luck with the build

kawwan

posted on 21/4/08 at 07:20 AM Reply With Quote
another thing to bear in mind is that most new bikes are insured fully comp. so its difficult to sell forks body panels etc. its when the bikes are 2-3 years old the parts come into play
Peteff

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:31 AM Reply With Quote
If you buy three you'll get a discount, sell two and strip one for bits Cat D and C bikes from salvage will be the customers for bits, people buy them to put back on the road after the original owner has been paid off.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

02GF74

posted on 21/4/08 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Davey D

granted you can get a cheaper engine, but you have no guarantees like brand new

what guarantee?

I find it hard to believe that any manufacturer whould honour a guarantee on a bike engine that is no longer in the original bike let alone a car..... or do they?

Kitcat

posted on 21/4/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
Hmmm...ok, thanks everyone for your thoughts. There's part of me thinking save a few quid and only buy the bits I need as and when. Then another part of me thinking how nice it would be to finish a car with brand new shiny engine and zero miles on the clocks.

I guess going for a pre-reg 07 model from somewhere like Taz might be a reasonably cheap option and ask them which is the most popular colour sold so the law of averages says those body panels etc. will be the most needed?

I will take your advice and contact Malc before doing anything though. Thanks guys

Jason Fletcher

posted on 24/4/08 at 12:54 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a new Busa and stripped it. I only saved a few quid but did get some other bits like switch gear that helped me sort the wiring out properly. If I were to do it again then I would buy from the States where engines seem to cost less (a lot less)

Edit: Just had a look on Feabay.com and it looks like you can get R1 2-3-4 year old engine for between £400 and £1000 you have shipping to think of aswell of course.

Jason

[Edited on 24/4/08 by Jason Fletcher]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.