Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: OT Crank measurement
JeffHs

posted on 27/4/08 at 04:36 PM Reply With Quote
OT Crank measurement

Very off topic. I need to measure a crankshaft for parallelism and con rods for twist. Beyond my capabilities so I asked a local patternmakers to check on their CMM machine, but they deemed their tolerances not good enough. Any ideas who can do this for me, preferably not too far from Derby?
Bits in question are from a 6 litre aero engine (Blackburn Bombardier), crank is 1 metre long. Engine is being rebuilt to restore the Auster AOP9 to flying condition.

mookaloid

posted on 27/4/08 at 05:09 PM Reply With Quote
I can't help with the question but I like the sound of your project

Auster AOP9

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

MartynV

posted on 27/4/08 at 05:37 PM Reply With Quote
Any decent engineering shop be able to this with a surface table, vee blocks, dummy shafts and clock gauges.

Accuracy to 0.01mm is achievable, though it may be a bit labour intensive!

What about trying the motorsport engineering department at Derby University? They have extensive engineering workshops and would probably have staff and students interested in checking it out without any cost to your project?

JeffHs

posted on 27/4/08 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
mookaloid's link is to an Auster 5, not a 9 - see my archive for AOP9. I cannot figure out how to post a link or a photo! I know I'm thick but this is ridiculous!
rusty nuts

posted on 27/4/08 at 06:17 PM Reply With Quote
If you can't find anyone else to measure it any decent engine reconditioners should be able to help.
82 Locost

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
Personally I'd take it to a licensed aero engineers as they can check the crank for any other problems. Nothing like losing a crank during take-off!

I flew with a guy in the States once who broke a crank during take-off and ended up cart-wheeling into a vineyard. He was walking again 6 months later.

gazza285

posted on 27/4/08 at 08:34 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.bradfordgrinders.co.uk/index.html

DO NOT PUT ON KNOB OR BOLLOCKS!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.