Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Is your ISP spying on you?
Jasper

posted on 3/5/08 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
Is your ISP spying on you?

Read this in the New Scientist and was rather disturbed, downloaded the blocker and it seems that my ISP, Eclipse Internet, is using Phorm to track and sell information on my use of the internet.

I think this is really bad, especially as the ISP's are not telling us:

Phorm

Just spoke to the Gadget Show about this, their running a piece in a week or two ... obviously worth taking seriously.

Forgot to say, there is a blocker Add-on for Firefox:

Phorm Blocker

[Edited on 3/5/08 by Jasper]

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

clairetoo

posted on 3/5/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
I`ve been following this for a while - but no one seems interested
There is an on-line petition here http://petitions.pm.gov.uk/ispphorm/
And a lot more information here http://www.badphorm.co.uk/page.php?2

Its the electronic equivalent of the post office reading all you mail so they can send you `targeted` junk mail - please sign the petition and forward it to all on your email list - this could affect 10 million internet users.....

[Edited on 3/5/08 by clairetoo]

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

Jasper

posted on 3/5/08 at 10:26 AM Reply With Quote
Think your petition link might be wrong

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

clairetoo

posted on 3/5/08 at 10:31 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
Think your petition link might be wrong

bit of blond moment there............

Now corrected !

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

ChrisW

posted on 3/5/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had a few companies and individuals come to me recently asking about what they can do to stop ISPs spying on them. I've got a few solutions for them, but none of them come cheap.

Solution I've implemented a few times means that all traffic leaving their office is encrypted whilst it passes through the ISP, meaning they have no idea what's going on. Works for all traffic, and so another advantage is that the ISP can't perform protocol related traffic shaping - ie they can't slow down (for example) torrent traffic.

Costs about £300 to set it up, then around £20/month, depending on how much data they use.

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
clairetoo

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
But - how can that work on incoming traffic ? They will still be able to read incoming traffic and know what you use the net for...............

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

hobbsy

posted on 3/5/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Not if its all being proxied and the link between you and the proxy is an encrypted link.

But clearly that means you need to pay something for this proxy service as you're not going to get someone providing this for free.

clairetoo

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
I do think some of you are missing the point here - while it may be OK for a few who can afford to encript their internet connection , the other 10 000 000 users who are being sold down the river by their ISP`s wont.....
They are allready charging you for internet access - this will simply generate huge profits for doing nothing .
Remember - ALL your internet traffic will be monitored (including e-mails) and you have to put up with `targeted advertising` - even if you block those ads your personal privacy is being severly compromised .

Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant - but it will make it so much easier for the government to watch us all in the name of `national security`

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

paulf

posted on 3/5/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Well if everyone put keywords into there posts like bomb, terrorism, assasinate gordon brown etc then they would be overrun with people to watch and have to employ more snoopers but im sure there already doing that anyway for our supposed benefit.
Paul
Sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant - but it will make it so much easier for the government to watch us all in the name of `national security`

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.