Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cleaning Ally Cylinder Heads - How?
Alan_Thomas

posted on 6/5/08 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
Cleaning Ally Cylinder Heads - How?

I have a couple of old heads that are unskimmed and unmolested but they have been standing many a year with a couple of the valves open and so some of the chambers and ports are covered in a white corrosion.
What is the best way of cleaning these up. Can I make up a hot caustic solution that clean them up? - Alan

andylancaster3000

posted on 6/5/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
When we have had engine machining done by the local machine shop they tend to put the heads/parts in a steam bath to clean them first, it cleans them up a treat. It may be worth finding one local to you and aking if they could clean it up. Don't suppose theyre charge much.
mr henderson2

posted on 6/5/08 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
If the professional cleanng isn't available, I have found that WD40 and Scotchbrite (the maroon grade) work very well in combination with elbow grease
Richard Claydon

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Stick it in the dishwasher.....but don't tell my Mrs I said so!!

Rich

mark chandler

posted on 6/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
Head reconditioner I used last year has a commercial dishwasher and puts everything in that. Works a treat.

For myself I purchased some patio cleaner and through my really grubby rv8 heads in a bucket filled with that. Came out a bit pickled but all the horrible black goo was gone.

Alan_Thomas

posted on 7/5/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Claydon
Stick it in the dishwasher.....but don't tell my Mrs I said so!!

Rich

Rich, I had thought of that, and pointed out that it was no worse than the dish the sunday roast is cooked in, but she still voiced (very loudly!) her displeasure at the idea. Thinks - She will be out for at least 3hrs on thursday!

britishtrident

posted on 8/5/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Submerge for a few hours in vinegar or phosphoric acid (Cilit Bang).

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

thomas4age

posted on 11/5/08 at 07:22 AM Reply With Quote
WD40 and Scotchbrite works a treat!

I recently did my G50 box this way and it came out very nice.

I thought there was something in using chemicals and heat, the alloy goes pitting or cracking overtime or something, it was dicussed here a few weeks back but I can't find the post.

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

nickharding

posted on 31/5/12 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
Shotblasting/bead blasting is brilliant, especially if you plan to relap the valves in to get perfect seats. Depends how much you plan to strip the head down mind.

wombat

posted on 1/6/12 at 06:02 AM Reply With Quote
I put my ali sump in the dishwasher last week prior to going for welding, cleaned with petrol then de-greaser first. Came up great and................
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! She not got a clue !

shaft

posted on 1/6/12 at 06:32 AM Reply With Quote
Swarfega and a toothbrush work well. Rinse with the hose as you go and its easy to see where you've been.
Just remember to keep giving the valve guides a squirt with wd40 as you go to stop red rusting.

my opinion might be wrong you know...

My Zero Build Pics

Peteff

posted on 1/6/12 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Alan_Thomas
I have a couple of old heads that are unskimmed and unmolested but they have been standing many a year with a couple of the valves open and so some of the chambers and ports are covered in a white corrosion.
What is the best way of cleaning these up. Can I make up a hot caustic solution that clean them up? - Alan

Don't use caustic cleaners on aluminium, they dissolve it completely and you'll never get all of it out of all the channels so it will probably damage other parts as well. Just google aluminium caustic and watch some videos.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Irony

posted on 1/6/12 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Frosts do a Ali Cleaner/restorer that works a treat. Really good. Be careful of all these people suggesting putting it in the dishwasher. When I have but ally stuff in the dishwasher it has got it clean but you have to be there when the cycle finishes. In fact I open the dishwasher before the drying cycle finishes and then dry with towels. Immediately get some form of sealant on it or it will oxidise within minutes. Guess how I know
wombat

posted on 1/6/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Good point, yes thats what I did, got it out before end of cycle and dried it off completely.
There again it was only so didnt get caught.

Irony

posted on 1/6/12 at 04:21 PM Reply With Quote
The SWMBO would've hit the roof if she saw me put my sump and bellhousing in the dishwasher. It smelt a bit oily afterwards so I put it on again empty on a hot wash.
DIY Si

posted on 1/6/12 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Having been looking at this of late for a pair of V6 heads, I rang a local engineering company today. They said, without seeing them, that if they aqua blast them it's £35, and at most £60 if they end up having to soda blast. For that price to get them sparkly clean, I'm happy to let someone else do the hard work for once!

“Let your plans be dark and as impenetratable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
Sun Tzu, The Art of War

My new blog: http://spritecave.blogspot.co.uk/

aquablastcenter

posted on 3/7/12 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
Aqua & Soda blasting for engine / gearbox etc

There are two safe and easy ways to clean / restore engine and gearbox parts.

1. Aqua Blasting with silicon bead
This will remove road dirt, corrosion and most staining from alloy.
All parts must have bearings, seals and moving parts removed.
Parts need degreasing and paint removing before blasting

2. Soda Blasting
A dry blast process that is ideal for removing oil deposits, paint and general road dirt
Parts can be cleaned without the need to dismantle, so from cylinder heads to
complete engines can be cleaned and prepared for painting.

Details can be found at http://www.aquablastcenter.com

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Peteff

posted on 4/7/12 at 08:09 AM Reply With Quote
My wife was cooking some rhubarb in an aluminium pan the other day and the pan now looks like new so I reckon boiling it in some water with rhubarb should do the job. And you can make a nice crumble after

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

aquablastcenter

posted on 4/7/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
Nice one - custard on mine please
PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

rusty nuts

posted on 4/7/12 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Peteff
My wife was cooking some rhubarb in an aluminium pan the other day and the pan now looks like new so I reckon boiling it in some water with rhubarb should do the job. And you can make a nice crumble after

British Trident has posted several times about using boiled rhubarb leaves to clean ally parts IIRC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.