Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Use your mid engine racer?
defcon

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:05 PM Reply With Quote
Use your mid engine racer?

I have the last year been planning a custom mid engine car build based on a Mr2 mk1. It is designed with a minimal tubular frame, not unlike a atom2. I've been very exited about it for a long time, but now I realised I have forgotten to think about using the car after it has been built.

The thing is that; In Norway, I have big doubts about making it street legal. There are so many rules, and narrow-minded authoritys.

I have also contacted NBF, Norwegian Motor Racing Association. They said there was no races/regulations for these type of cars. And recommended me to build another car. (Like a Super7, or a modified street legal car)

So now I'm a bit depressed, not finding use for my beloved project.

My question is to you: In what way will you use your mid-engine? Make it street legal, or Track Only? How?

PS: Sorry for my english :p

Triton

posted on 13/5/08 at 09:15 PM Reply With Quote
Street legal but use it on the track as get best of both worlds then.
Your English is better than my Norwegian so keep at it matey.

Mark

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rpmagazine

posted on 14/5/08 at 01:09 AM Reply With Quote
we have a wide range of rules in Australia that seem designed to stop you making your own car.
Only the UK seems to have simple rules.
Keep going there is a way through it, but you are correct that you need to think of final use before going any further. Look at the class rules for motorsport and see what you can build to fit in what rules.

www.racemagazine.com.au

Benzine

posted on 14/5/08 at 01:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rpmagazine
we have a wide range of rules in Australia that seem designed to stop you making your own car.
Only the UK seems to have simple rules.
Keep going there is a way through it, but you are correct that you need to think of final use before going any further. Look at the class rules for motorsport and see what you can build to fit in what rules.

I'm in australia at the moment. My friends girlfriends dad took me out in his turbo'd mazda. He was telling me how hard it is to modify cars in australia. He had a switch under the dash to make the exhaust quieter when police were around, worked really well After a long conversation with him it made me realise how lucky we are in the UK, it's often taken for granted that we even have SVA in the first place.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
thepest

posted on 14/5/08 at 05:57 AM Reply With Quote
Well we do have SVA here in malta too, you could always ship your car to a country that has sva and re-import it to norway
rpmagazine

posted on 14/5/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect that it would be more cost effective to comply with local rules, they can be onerous, but compliance makes long term use of the vehicle much more painless.

[Edited on 14/5/08 by rpmagazine]

www.racemagazine.com.au

defcon

posted on 14/5/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rpmagazineLook at the class rules for motorsport and see what you can build to fit in what rules.

That is an option I have not looked too thorough into. The nearest track is about 6-7hours driving time from where I live

quote:
Originally posted by thepest
Well we do have SVA here in malta too, you could always ship your car to a country that has sva and re-import it to norway

I think this was a good suggestion. But I am no shure if they accept SVA-tested cars any more. There has been a case with some cars for japan.

quote:
Originally posted by rpmagazine
I suspect that it would be more cost effective to comply with local rules, they can be onerous, but compliance makes long term use of the vehicle much more painless.

My biggest dream is to have my own custom handbuildt sportscar legally on the road. But honestly I don't think it is gonna happend. In Norway is it almost impossible to register a homebuildt kit car, even though the kit is mass produced.

Thanks for all answers, I do appreciate it

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.