Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any Solidworks Gurus out there?
novacaine

posted on 17/5/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
Any Solidworks Gurus out there?

Well, ive just bought a copy of solidworks with a student discount,

(12 month licence, with COSMOS £48 )

well, now all i have to do is learn how to use it,

Anyone on here able to offer some tips if i run into problems?

I also ordered one of these

well, give it a few weeks and i could be designing some locost related parts

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

Bob C

posted on 17/5/08 at 08:55 PM Reply With Quote
just plough through the tutorials that come with it ;^)
They're in the help menu

[Edited on 17/5/08 by Bob C]

novacaine

posted on 17/5/08 at 09:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bob C
just plough through the tutorials that come with it ;^)

ahh, i didnt know it came with tutorials,

thanks !

And you run and you run to catch up with the sun but its sinking, Racing around to come up behind you again, the sun is the same in a relative way but your older, shorter of breath and one day closer to death

D Beddows

posted on 18/5/08 at 12:59 AM Reply With Quote
I suspect you'll find that gimmicky 3d mouse thing will make a lovely desk ornament tried them all (and there have been a few) and at the end of the day you can't beat a good mouse.
Nosbod

posted on 18/5/08 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
First invaluable tip I would give is to make sure that whenever you are "sketching" that you constrain every line, point, curve etc. with relations or dimensions. You know when they are constrained because they are drawn in black rather than blue. Without this solidworks has a silly habit of moving geometry on its own

Good luck.

balidey

posted on 18/5/08 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
Stick with the 3d mouse. i had a couple on trial for 2 weeks, the guy from 3dconnexions said it will feel alien, slow and difficult ot use for the first 3 or 4 days, but after that you will wonder how you managed without. I thought that was salesman speak, but it is so true. Really hard for the first couple of days, but I've been using them for over 2 years now, and everytime I sit at another cad machine without one i grab for it when its not there.

As for Solidworks itself, i've been using it for about 19 years, and the best training you can do is get on a proper training course. Contact your seller to ask about this. But failing that, yes the tutorials and the books that come with it are very good.

EDIT: as for cosmos, its very easy to use, but be warned, because its easy to use you may think you are using it correctly, but all fea results are only as good as the person using it. you really do need to go on a good training course to learn just the basics.

[Edited on 18/5/08 by balidey]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.