Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Petrol Price Oddity
ChrisS

posted on 21/5/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
Petrol Price Oddity

Just filled the locost up and during lunch thought id put together a spreadsheet to calculate MPG MPL etc etc.

Found something a bit strange, and unless my calculations are wrong, im not sure who gains from this.

I just brought £22.23 of petrol at £1.159 per litre, which by my calcs should mean i got 19.18 litres of petrol, yet the pump told me that it had delivered 19.69 litres.

Anyone interested might find this Excel sheet handy. Its protected to prevent deleting the formulas, but but the password is set to blank if you really want to change it.

Link to spreadsheet

Mr Whippy

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
perhaps the pump needs recalibrated

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
you sure the petrol wasnt £1.12.9 as thats what you paid!!
matt_claydon

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
The only thing I can think is that the price on the pump was not the same as the price displayed on the big sign.

Your receipt should show the price you actually paid per litre and if this multiplied by the number of litres does not equal the total price paid then I simply cannot understand how that could happen.

Conversion from litres pumped to price paid is a simple multiplication, nothing to do with flow measurement in the pump.

blakep82

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
^ but wouldn't the litres pumped be worked out from the flow rate of the pump?

hmmm, i don't know... you got more that you were supposed to, so whats the problem?! lol

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

ChrisS

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_claydon
The only thing I can think is that the price on the pump was not the same as the price displayed on the big sign.

Your receipt should show the price you actually paid per litre and if this multiplied by the number of litres does not equal the total price paid then I simply cannot understand how that could happen.

Conversion from litres pumped to price paid is a simple multiplication, nothing to do with flow measurement in the pump.

Strange, my receipt only shows the total cost which was £22.23. Ill check back later when i pass the pump on the price, but im sure it was 115.9

I also use this website which tells you the best prices in your area.

PetrolPrices.com

Paul TigerB6

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
^ but wouldn't the litres pumped be worked out from the flow rate of the pump?

Yes - but the total price displayed is then taken from the volume of fuel pumped and its the price per litre the garage can change themselves. They cant mess about with the calibration of the volume of fuel dispensed (weights and measures standards etc).

Its going to be either the fuel was charged at 112.9p / ltr and displayed as 115.9, or its a simple misread of the price

matt_claydon

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul TigerB6

Yes - but the total price displayed is then taken from the volume of fuel pumped and its the price per litre the garage can change themselves. They cant mess about with the calibration of the volume of fuel dispensed (weights and measures standards etc).

Its going to be either the fuel was charged at 112.9p / ltr and displayed as 115.9, or its a simple misread of the price

Yep, that's what I was trying to say

dhutch

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:54 PM Reply With Quote
I still wouldnt grumble. Petrol here is 116.9! As of monday, it was 110.9 friday afternoon.
Hammerhead

posted on 21/5/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
why has it suddenly shot up? diesel was 122 last week now is 129. WTF!

Kriss

posted on 21/5/08 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
and what MPG have you got dude?

You hav eno control over costs, but do with your right foot!

ChrisS

posted on 21/5/08 at 02:18 PM Reply With Quote
Well the car is only a month old so the right foot novalty is still there, and im not really doing any sort of distances, just short blasts round the block, or 1-2 junctions on the dual carriageway to do some testing, and by my calcs im getting 28-29 to the gallon, which i guess isnt too bad at all.

what due think?

Check out the spredsheet to do your own. Link is in the first post.

Kriss

posted on 21/5/08 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
i wouldnt have a clue about R1 fuel economy. Might be able to tell you in 2 weeks if it passes its SVA.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.