Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Hi Spec rear calipers
iiyama

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Spec rear calipers

Not the new type, the old type of handbrake caliper.
Anyone got em? If so how the hell do you get the handbrake to work? Ive just bled everything through and have brakes in all four corners and dont appear to have any leaks.

Have adjusted the cable and pulling up the lever makes the levers on the calipers move but I can still roll the car.

Any ideas appreciated.

Cheers!

If its broke, fix it. If it aint broke, take it apart and find out how it works!

b184

posted on 25/5/08 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
Sound like the handbrake cam has gone over centre, I am guessing you did not wind out the piston anticlockwise when you offerd it up to the pads.
If you just fitted them and pumped the brakes, they will need stripping and resetting

joetait

posted on 25/5/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Hydraulic

They are twin-piston & operate off a hydraulic lock - (I dont think they have a cam mechanism)
Make sure the nipples are both vertical I found the best method was to remove the caliper, put a spacer between the pads and elevate the caliper as high as possible during bleeding. (the flexi hoses are often quite steep for the air to travel down.)
They are a pig to bleed and the handbrake mechanism will bite then 'relax' if there is any air in there.

Jon

iiyama

posted on 25/5/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys,
Absolutly right Joe. Bled them some more and hey presto. Hand brake is working.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.