Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fury Improvements?
Chet

posted on 25/5/08 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Fury Improvements?

We are considering making some changes to the Fury (both chassis and body) here in the USA.

I'd be interested in hearing what changes if any you would suggest.

Thanks
Chet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
liam.mccaffrey

posted on 26/5/08 at 01:43 AM Reply With Quote
be interesting to know things like what engine ,running gear, brakes, axles/differentials you are currently running.

where about are you, im in Oklahoma

Liam Mc

EDIT
Sorry, I misunderstood your post. I'll leave it to actual fury owners

[Edited on 26/5/08 by liam.mccaffrey]

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

adithorp

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:13 AM Reply With Quote
Well for the US market... I'd at least double the length and width, make it 10x heavier, half the brakes so it won't stop, alter the suspention so it won't go around corners, then stick a V8 in it. Should sell well then. ;-)

Is that the sort of thing you were thincking of?

adrian

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
Well for the US market... I'd at least double the length and width, make it 10x heavier, half the brakes so it won't stop, alter the suspention so it won't go around corners, then stick a V8 in it. Should sell well then. ;-)

adrian

why does that make me think of a Viper??

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Chet

Generally the car is pretty good.

Body work could do with a bit of development/investment.

eg :-

1.Making it symetrical
2.Lengthening the body to give better shut lines. Wheel arch clearance.
3. Design for less 'glassing and more bolt on (like the Phoenix)
4. An extra couple of inches wide to cover the wheels better and give room to fit a larger silencer in the pods.

Just my 2p worth

- Jim

NeilP

posted on 26/5/08 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
I was originally going to do a Fury - Absolutely love the shape and the V8 one is a hoot. IIRC there was a guy called Mike who had a blue one that Fisher used to call on as a demonstrator a lot - simply stunning car.

Then I sat in one At 6' 2" it just wasn't going to work so I went in another direction...

If I had the resources and the time? A slight enlargement of the chassis in all directions as has been suggested, plus probably give it some more length in the back end to balance out the somewhat phallic front end. If you look at the Fury Menace I think that the balance is better. That said, if you are going to give it more height as well which I believe it could take without upsetting the handling, then you probably won't need the bulges that so many have to fit (see the photo archive of clairetoo for an example) and can stick to the cleaner lines of the Le Mans bonnet (hood). Mind you, the bulge when done well does say something and I bet that Claire's going to scare a few off the road when they see her coming up behind them at pace

The Fury was always meant to be a small, light, tearaway of a car and with the right aluminum V8 in it, is just that. If you can keep to that essence with the mods then you'll have a winner.

All, as ever, IMHO...

If you pay peanuts...
Mentale, yar? Yar, mentale!
Drive it like you stole it!

BenB

posted on 26/5/08 at 12:55 PM Reply With Quote
If you take the seat out a Fury is just fine.
I'm 6ft4 (most of it my legs) and drove a Fury over 1000 miles in a week.
A bit harsh on the gluteus maximus due to rock hard shocks, a car slammed to the deck and no seat to cushion the blows....
A molded PU seat would allow most people to fit in....

Chet

posted on 26/5/08 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

adrian

Well put - the answer however is no - we don't want or need to modify the Fury to be yet another Cobra.

We won't do anything to compromise the light weight, handling and performance of the car. A slightly better body is the first item on the wanted list.

adithorp

posted on 26/5/08 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
In that case, I'd say Jim's points are about right.

I'd add making the profile of the front wheel arches match the rear ones, move the LeMans style headlights forward to give more clearence for the wheels, improve the profile of the 'screen frame.

adrian

Chet

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
In that case, I'd say Jim's points are about right.

I'd add making the profile of the front wheel arches match the rear ones, move the LeMans style headlights forward to give more clearence for the wheels, improve the profile of the 'screen frame.

adrian

Thanks for your input.

FYI - As one example - A US Fury customer pointed out the fact that the Triumph Spitfire windshield is almost the same size and curve as the present Fury windshield. The Triumph windshield is also designed to be removable on demand. A similar strategy could allow us to have a true windshield when desired and then use a low profile windscreen for track days etc. Opinions?

Thanks
Chet

Chet

posted on 26/5/08 at 03:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jimgiblett
Hi Chet

Generally the car is pretty good.

Body work could do with a bit of development/investment.

eg :-

1.Making it symetrical
2.Lengthening the body to give better shut lines. Wheel arch clearance.
3. Design for less 'glassing and more bolt on (like the Phoenix)
4. An extra couple of inches wide to cover the wheels better and give room to fit a larger silencer in the pods.

Just my 2p worth

- Jim

Hi Jim -

Thanks for your valuable input. I agree with everything you've mentioned. It would make sense to modify the body to be more bolt on or even potentially removeable as some true race Furys have done.

Thanks
Chet

clairetoo

posted on 26/5/08 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
A few things that make it a more useable car
1-bigger tank (mines 10 gallons)
2-bigger boot (I have dropped the boot floor)
3-wider track (22mm each side and ET35 wheels,turns like a go-kart )
4-better bracing in the front of the chassis (makes a HUGE difference)
5-recessed rear lights (just looks better )

On my wish list would be a wider tunnel as anything bigger than a type 9 is a bit of a squeeze , and a bit more room under the bonnet for silly engines

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

chrisf

posted on 27/5/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Personally, I'd focus improvements on your marketing and online presence. Furies are pricey, and the weak dollar is going to continue to exagerate that. If I were spending that kind of money, I would be highly anxious doing business with a company that has a website full of broken links and difficult-to-find pricing.

It's been a couple years, but I was seriously considering selling my se7en and buying a Fury kit. When I mentioned that I was interested in using a fireblade mill, the phone calls stopped returning. So it seems like you're building the brand by being selective about the types of builders, just less focused on the marketing part.

I love the car, and I think you have a great product. And of course, these are just one guy's opinions.

--Chris

Chet

posted on 27/5/08 at 05:29 PM Reply With Quote
Chris-

I appreciate your input thanks-

You are correct that I have made the decision to build the brand by being very selective about potential customers. Obviously if my focus was pure profit rather than love of the concept of a light weight performance car we would use a different approach.

Our website faces constant spam attacks and we believe the time & effort to keep it updated is a lower priority right now than servicing real customers. Please note that we are always available by phone and will make time to discuss the Fury with anyone.

Thanks
Chet

stevebubs

posted on 30/5/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo

1-bigger tank (mines 10 gallons)

Plans for a 50litre live axle tank can be found in my gallery

<---

stevebubs

posted on 30/5/08 at 05:03 PM Reply With Quote
One thing that would seriously help people "fitting" into the car would be to raise the top level of the windscreen.

Most people I know above about 5'6 with cobra roadsters find that their eyes are about level with the top of the screen

2 ways to do this

1) Raise overall body height (ala Stylus)

2) make the windscreen slightly more upright.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.