Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any MoT testers on the forum?
russbost

posted on 29/5/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
Any MoT testers on the forum?

Hi,
Would appreciate your input on the following beam image, as an MoT tester would you have a problem passing this (providing you weren't having a bad day!!!)
[img]http://[/img]
I'd do this as a poll, but I don't know how & there probably aren't that many testers on the forum anyway!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
b184

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_160.htm
scroll down and you will see the beam pattern

russbost

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:20 PM Reply With Quote
I know what the beam pattern should look like - I've been an MoT tester for 20 years+!!! I'm looking for opinions! - Preferably from people who have also been testing.

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
locoR1

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a current mot tester so things could of changed in the 12-13 years since I left the motor trade but looking at that it looks ok to me, the only real way to tell for sure is to check the pattern on a beam setter at an mot station!

P.S I'm very tempted to have a set will let you know!

Dave...

Description
Description
Check out my CB500T Cafe Racer build diary

adithorp

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not a tester but take 2-3 cars a day for test and would say that although the cut off is a bit blured I'd expect it to pass providing the angle is ok. If that line is level with the centre then they're a bit high. Difficult to tell as on a beam tester the front lens corrects so that it measures the angle of the light wether the tester is set too high or low (try moving the tester up and down within reason and you'll not see a change in pattern).

adrian

ch1ll1

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
its blured,
but that could be from the wall !
what does it look like when you hold a card in front of the head light?

you could try changing the bulb
might help out alittle
but i would say yes,

paul

[Edited on 29/5/08 by ch1ll1]

froggy

posted on 29/5/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
looks like a normal image but a bit blurry ,kick up looks ok ,i might go for lens not in clean condition but only if i was in a strop id pass that .new spec beam testers can measure output if is in doubt
rusty nuts

posted on 29/5/08 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
I've passed worse, as said it looks a bit blurry but clear enough IMHO
bigrich

posted on 29/5/08 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
yep i would pass it, it cuts off in the correct area, its a little blurred but has enough intensity.

A pint for the gent and a white wine/fruit based drink for the lady. Those are the rules

Mark G

posted on 29/5/08 at 09:31 PM Reply With Quote
To get an idea as to if it'd pass you'd really need to get it on a beam setter. It looks ok but could be too high, too far left/right etc...

Can't tell without it being set up properly.

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/08 at 09:37 PM Reply With Quote
With the new tests you get the option for daytime only as bikes have had for years.

Cover the lights and remove the switchgear and the computor will let you through !

Regards Mark

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/5/08 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mark chandler
With the new tests you get the option for daytime only as bikes have had for years.

Cover the lights and remove the switchgear and the computor will let you through !

Regards Mark

How on earth is that policed?

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
stevec

posted on 29/5/08 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
It enters into the spirit of a kick up so I would probably pass it.
Steve.

mark chandler

posted on 29/5/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
The same way as day time only bikes, with difficulty !

If it rains you must stop
If it gets dark you must stop

russbost

posted on 29/5/08 at 11:19 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your input guys, you've confirmed my own thoughts that it would take a mean tester to fail it, ignore alignment as that is easily adjusted, everyone has said they would pass the beam image, tho' a touch blurry. It is made by a Dominator 4" headlight (with a minor mod) & I had it confirmed by the VOSA people today that if it passes MoT it will pass SVA.

b184

posted on 30/5/08 at 07:03 AM Reply With Quote
Daylight use only.
The mot certificate is marked daylight use only.
If you get stopped out at night or in dark and rainy conditions then you would in effect have no mot

Hellfire

posted on 30/5/08 at 11:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by russbost
........................ & I had it confirmed by the VOSA people today that if it passes MoT it will pass SVA.

If only it was that easy.............

SVA in general has a different set of rules to MOT and each SVA inspector has a different interpretation of those rules.

Phil

russbost

posted on 30/5/08 at 05:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by russbost
........................ & I had it confirmed by the VOSA people today that if it passes MoT it will pass SVA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If only it was that easy.............

SVA in general has a different set of rules to MOT and each SVA inspector has a different interpretation of those rules.

Sorry I should have made that clearer, he was referring only to this item ie headlamp aim for which SVA & MoT are governed by the same basic rules (he also confirmed that NO LIGHTS inc headlamps need to have any "E" markings etc PROVIDING they fulfill the smae criteria as a lamp that does). Obviously there are many other areas on which SVA & MoT differ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.