Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: 750mc race meeting at Anglesey 7-8 June.
procomp

posted on 30/5/08 at 01:58 PM Reply With Quote
750mc race meeting at Anglesey 7-8 June.

Hi the finals are out with the relevant info ect for the anglesey meeting. Details can be found here. 750mc LINK.

Formulas running include: LOCOST - KITS - RGB - BIKESPORTS - SAXMAX - FORMULA VEE - STOCK HATCH and GOLF GTI'S.

Forum members racing include: stevetzoid #39 - Rob Palin #47 - simes43 #43 - pumpers #63 - 82Locost #82 .In LOCOST

MawMaw #71 In KITS.

progers #7 In RGB.

Apologies if i have missed any one.

As usual they will all be happy to see other forum members over the weekend. And also should mention there is the hog roast being organised. Details can be found here on other post by stevetzoid. LINK

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hammerhead

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
out of interest how much would one of your locosts be ready to race. Fully prepped etc, I could seriously see myself having a go at racing.

procomp

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:17 PM Reply With Quote
Hi S/H ones are currently available from 4K Not one of mine. To the best Locost racer built so far currently for sale for 6k. There are many available for a price in between 4-6K all ready to race with a bit of prep ect.

For instance:

1 LINK
2 LINK
3 LINK

And there are at least another 3-4 for sale else where.

HTH cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
http://www.pistonheads.com/sales/496304.htm

TimC

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:20 PM Reply With Quote
Mildly OT:

Prepare to be suprised - a competitive Randall-equal engine will cost £2k+ on it's own.

The thing about the Locost series, as I see it, is it's hugely competitive racing but it is unlikely to satisfy a raw need for 'eye widening' speed. Matt and I disagree on this I'm sure, but that's what put me off. I'd rather spend the same money and be firmly in the middle-back of the RGB pack but still feel the raw acceleration.

Hammerhead

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC
Prepare to be suprised - a competitive Randall-equal engine will cost £2k+ on it's own.

The thing about the Locost series, as I see it, is it's hugely competitive racing but it is unlikely to satisfy a raw need for 'eye widening' speed. Matt and I disagree on this I'm sure, but that's what put me off. I'd rather spend the same money and be firmly in the middle-back of the RGB pack but still feel the raw acceleration.

Thanks for the links to the cars for sale Matt. Very interesting.

While I can understand wanting raw power. I can see real appeal in cheap entry level motorsport where skill is involved.

I took my elise to donington last week and although my 190bhp was not the most powerful car there, it was over taking porsche 911, caymans, boxsters and various other more powerful cars. Carrying speed into the corners seems to be the key.

I could get addicted to the fun of the track. Off to Nurburgring next month

ko_racer

posted on 30/5/08 at 02:38 PM Reply With Quote
We'll be up there running our cars in Bikesports Me #17 and my brother in law #12
Richd

posted on 30/5/08 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
I bought my locost for around the 3k mark, patched up the bodywork and generally "ran with what I had" for the first three meetings of the year. I have had great fun battling in the middle of the heats & even the back of the final on a couple of occasions. This with a very weak & underpowered engine. I am well aware that I could spend megabucks and improve my results (i am in the process of spending but not megabucks). However, I will struggle to beat the quality of racing and the sheer fun so far as it is fantastic value for money.

advert over

Cheers
Rich

PS Be careful, you could buy the best car on the track but some of these guys at the front have been racing this class for a number of years, you're not necessarily going to be quick "straight out of the box".

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
Richd

posted on 30/5/08 at 03:25 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, by the way, have a good anglessey trip all. Wont be there. as I said am spending money and cant justify the expence of anglessey from here in Norwich (about 6 million miles) as well as spending on the car. Have a good meeting and see you all at Brands in June

Cheers
Rich #25

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
procomp

posted on 30/5/08 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi well what can i say a pole time in locost at cadwell would put you 20ish on the grid in both RGB and KITS.

It would also be fair to compare a locost time to the caterham graduats times. And fair to say that it would certinaly be quicker than a lotus elise around most circuits. A locost race is not the fastest out there but by god it's certinaly the closest racing you will find in the uk on the circuits hence Autosport and motoring news i believe voting it the UK'S best championship for the last two years.

No disrespect to either the RGB or KITS as each has there own apeal in there different regulations and charatistics.

Cheers Matt

ernie

posted on 30/5/08 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
Yes if you want to see good close racing close up, have a look at Richard's on board vid at Cadwell(especially part 2 of final) look out for the yellow peril! or Noddy as my kid's call me
Hammerhead

posted on 31/5/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by procomp
And fair to say that it would certinaly be quicker than a lotus elise around most circuits.
Cheers Matt

OUCH! that hurts!

mawmaw

posted on 1/6/08 at 08:39 PM Reply With Quote
testing
mawmaw

posted on 1/6/08 at 08:45 PM Reply With Quote
wales

At last got this thing working. As matt may guess i am going to disagree. 180 bhp feels lots faster than 100. The slow guys in kits and rgb maybe no faster than the fast guys in locost but like for like is no comparison. Buy a quick car (Gary Goodyear sells one every year!) and come play at the front for £2k more than a locost. It doesn't have to be that pricey to run either. My current engine cost £200 plus 2 cams and if i get through Angelsey with no failures looks to be cheap motorsport. Only problem is unless you go for a tried and tested formula you are doing the development work whereas in locost and fireblade rgb it has been done for you!
Mark

[Edited on 1/6/08 by mawmaw]

procomp

posted on 2/6/08 at 07:51 AM Reply With Quote
Hi theres no disagreeing about raw power and acceleration. But for a novice entering into motor sport one of the best places to start is in the LOCOST where you can learn the skill of driving the correct lines and race craft and have good close racing from the very front to the very back of the grid

Of course theres no stopping anyone who want to go and buy a S/H car for a faster championship doing so. But they will be spending a fair bit of time learning to cope with the sheer power and lines and stand very little chance of learning race craft as most of the other competitors who they can learn from will be just that bit further down the road if not lapping them.

So my general point is that for a beginner it would make much more sense to start in a formula that is there specifically to help beginners into motorsport with such things as a buddy system already in place. Obviously it has not got the sheer acceleration of some formulas. But i will stick my neck on the line and say. It has the closest racing through out the field of any formula in the UK.

Costs well theres the costs that people come out with as flippant remarks and then theres the real costs. I will not go into the real costs as it is another subject all together. But for sure a LOCOST engine and drive train is the cheapest to have and run reliably and competitively.

The thing to remember about all this raw power is that it only makes you quicker down the straights. At the end of the day RGB KITS and LOCOST are all going around corners at virtually the same speed.

It is like most things in life what suits one person will not suit another. Such as the BEC or CEC situation. But for sure if you are thinking of going racing. DO YOUR RESEARCH FIRST what ever you are doing. It's expensive enough without going and buying a DOG car and then finding you are in a championship you are not sure you are happy with.

Cheers Matt

Ps are you testing on Friday Mark. We will be there somewhere from Thursday afternoon. I will save you a space as usual.

TimC

posted on 2/6/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Love the moneybags Goodyear quote.

simes43

posted on 2/6/08 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
If we put the softer Yoko's on, how about a top fifteen?
progers

posted on 2/6/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Assuming the 048's gain you 2-3 seconds a lap you would still have been 20th....

Seriously though I can see great merit in Locost as well as Kits/RGB. Locost certainly produces close, exciting racing and is a great way to learn racing craft.

Me personally, I really enjoy the speed/thrill factor that the more powerful formulea bring. In particular you can't beat an screaming engine at 11k and a slick sequential gearbox. There is a fair bit of skill involved in using the throttle too. To cap it all it ain't as expensive as people make it out to be. My £1000 engine is still going strong in its 3rd season. Saying that, it will probably blow up this weekend

Horses for course I'd say.

- Paul

mawmaw

posted on 2/6/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
racing

yes matt i will be there about 9.30 on friday, i will find you as per. do you know do they sell fuel on site, or is it basic ++ ?
procomp

posted on 3/6/08 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Hi RE fuel Mark i do not think they sell any at the circuit. ( although i could be wrong) But there is definitely one or two SHELL garages along the A55 that are 24HR that sell LPG also. ( THANK GOD ) And there is a SHELL station on anglesey but not 24hr as far as i know.

Cheers Matt

mawmaw

posted on 3/6/08 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Matt are you going green at Angelsey or has the ill fated no longer quite so green project bitten the dust?
procomp

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
Hi well i was GREEN. With envy that i missed the opportunity to race at this great little circuit. I felt quite sad watching all you guys racing in the sun whilst i was stood there getting sunburnt .

The BIO car may never appear as a BIO propelled machine due to the now negative image of the product and that non of the major fuel companies are really pursuing it's use. Also the other car ( Coventry university)that was supposed to be running in the new class has pulled out. So it would mean driving the car as a sole entrant in the class. So it will be out at donnington but running on petrol.

As for the anglesey meeting it was a cracking weekend with some very good racing with good performances from forum members. The video footage from our locost will be up in a day or two. And i shall put the links up to the results from the various formulas as soon as they are up.

Now wheres the after sun

Cheers Matt

Richd

posted on 9/6/08 at 08:11 AM Reply With Quote
Matt
Who took the honours then
Cheers
rich

andylancaster3000

posted on 9/6/08 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
Damn Would have much prefered to hear: new circuit was crap, weather was crap and racing was crap. Bloody families...

But glad to hear that it was a good weekend though. A circuit we're likely to be visiting in the future again then?

mawmaw

posted on 10/6/08 at 05:51 AM Reply With Quote
angelsey

Summary of the weekend.
1/ we were very lucky with the weather, not a drop of rain from thurs pm all the way through, Saturday was sunny whilst home (essex) was grey and miserable.
2/ locosters had saturday off so some chilled and others hit the beach!
3/ kits (if you tested on Friday) had 160 mins of track time, including 3 20 minute races

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.