Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Had enough now...MK Electrics...................
LBMEFM

posted on 4/6/08 at 08:43 PM Reply With Quote
Had enough now...MK Electrics...................

I bought a MK wiring loom for my Indy - Fireblade, could not make head or tail of it, so sold it. Then extended the Fireblade loom using a trailer multi-core cable to the rear lights. So far so good, had problems connecting up the ignition circuit after spending sometime tracing the faults still no spark. To have a break I decided to connect the fuel gauge that previously worked to find along with the headlights they did not now work, a loose crimp terminal. I am getting really pi@@ed off now. Question;
1. Do I strip it out again and buy a proper loom, I hear Vicky Green one's are good?
2. Keep working on the current one and hope it stays together?
3. Beg and pay one of you guys to help me overcome my problems (any volunteers) living near Dover, Kent.
4. Sell the car and stay pissed in the pub until the money has gone?

Please help
Barry

[Edited on 4/6/08 by LBMEFM]

RichardK

posted on 4/6/08 at 09:20 PM Reply With Quote
I wouldn't say Vicky Green ones are that good, took quite a bit of fiddling to get mine right and I consider myself fairly handy with the sparky stuff. I've heard good things about Premiere Wirings loom, maybe wortha look but not sure about the bike bit.

Cheers

Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
omega0684

posted on 4/6/08 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
hi barry

dont be so negative! when i started the wiring on my car i absolutely crapped myself cuz i new nothing about electrics what so ever! i had help from stevec (BIG THANKS THERE STEVE IF YOU ARE READING THIS THREAD) on the forum but he does only live 3 miles away.

the basic idea that helped me get through it all was to make things as simple as possible! i effectively created 4 looms instead of 1.

1.front of car - lights, indicators and the switchs etc,
2.engine bay
3. the dash
4. the back of the car - rear lights, indicators etc

when i found myself becoming frustrated at not being able to do something, then i just left my tools exactly where they were and went back to it the following day. this gives you time to think about what you are doing instead of sitting next to your car on the verge of a breakdown cuz you cant get anything done!

if your loom diagram is a bag of S**T, i assure you the vicki green one i was supplied with was, then make a few drawings of your own on a seperate piece of paper, again allows you to draw individual circuits and they are a lot clearer.

hope this helps,

hang in there buddy! you get through it, dont throw in the towel just yet.

All the best

Alex

I love Pinto's, even if i did get mine from P&O!

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Kev99

posted on 4/6/08 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
I Hope The Information Helps

But do it as omega0684 says do one small bit at a time and if u get stuck walk away and go back the next day

Kev..............

[Edited on 4-6-08 by Kev99]

LBMEFM

posted on 4/6/08 at 09:47 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys, particulary kev99, I will get this car going I will, I will, I will, I will, I will, I will, I will............................... Barry
RK

posted on 5/6/08 at 01:17 AM Reply With Quote
The way I see it, so many people HAVE been able to do it, that if some basic principles are followed, it's possible.

This is coming from someone who goes ballistic at every small job gone wrong who hasn't started electrics yet (beyond getting the engine wired). In other words, I don't know what I'm talking about but I totally understand frustration!

jabbahutt

posted on 5/6/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
stick with it, I've had problems with nearly every step of the wiring, just check the number of posts

Everyone here has been really helpful and everytime you manage to get even the smallest bit of electrickery to work it spurs you on to do a little bit more.

AS said above if it's not working, walk away and think it over. You normally have a blast of inspiration when you least expect it.

Hang in there
Nigel

nick205

posted on 5/6/08 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
I found the VG loom itself OK, but the wiring diagram could have been better.

I ended up redrawing the wiring diagram to match my own set-up of parts etc - this makes it much easier to follow and come back to when you want to make changes in the future.

ChrisS

posted on 5/6/08 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LBMEFM
I bought a MK wiring loom for my Indy - Fireblade, could not make head or tail of it, so sold it. Then extended the Fireblade loom using a trailer multi-core cable to the rear lights. So far so good, had problems connecting up the ignition circuit after spending sometime tracing the faults still no spark. To have a break I decided to connect the fuel gauge that previously worked to find along with the headlights they did not now work, a loose crimp terminal. I am getting really pi@@ed off now. Question;
1. Do I strip it out again and buy a proper loom, I hear Vicky Green one's are good?
2. Keep working on the current one and hope it stays together?
3. Beg and pay one of you guys to help me overcome my problems (any volunteers) living near Dover, Kent.
4. Sell the car and stay pissed in the pub until the money has gone?

Please help
Barry

[Edited on 4/6/08 by LBMEFM]

Barry

I live in Herne Bay, so im not that far from you, and i think you may have already been in contact with a mate of mine also building called Roger. Im pretty busy at the moment, but im sure between us we can help. I did my own loom by mating the sierra column to the Yamaha loom and extending that for lights etc. Its not as bad as you think. Ill have a chat with Rog and maybe we can pop down and take a look at some point.

All the best

Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.