Board logo

lsd
macspeedy - 5/12/03 at 08:13 PM

I understand that the ford sierra lsd has different drive shafts at the diff end, is the other end the same? or will the standard drum bake plates and hubs be ok??

Hellfire - 5/12/03 at 09:42 PM

AFAIK - the drive shafts on the lsd are 'lobro' type and use effectively parallel bearings. The 'tripode' type used on none-lsd are standard taper units. Therefore, not interchangable.

macspeedy - 6/12/03 at 11:16 AM

how much would i have to change to get a lsd fitted, i have a standard sierra diff at the moment

blueshift - 6/12/03 at 03:09 PM

if you have tripode driveshafts, you'd need new driveshafts and diff. otherwise, just new diff.

macspeedy - 6/12/03 at 10:33 PM

so there is no difference at the hub end of the drive shafts? just wanting to clarify that. Thanks

James - 6/12/03 at 10:57 PM

Mac,

If you currently have a setup with rear drum brakes then everything is different! You will need diff, shafts, hubs etc.

If you have an Indy then you will need to change your uprights as they are different to fit the callipers in the right place.

If you are saying you currently have a 'normal' Sierra back end with disc brakes then it *may* be possible just to change the diff and bolt it up to your current set of drive shafts etc. Make sure you measure the diameter of the CV joints of the two as I suspect there are variations. (I think, maybe, possibly... ).

HTH,

James

greggors84 - 7/12/03 at 01:23 AM

You will know if you have to change, as the LSD/Rear Disks diffs have bolt on drive shafts, they bolt on at both ends instead of pushing in, so you will easily be able to tell if u have compatible hubs and shafts.

macspeedy - 7/12/03 at 11:00 AM

i have drum rear brakes, it looks like quite a big job i wish i had known this earlier would have gone for disc rears

TL - 7/12/03 at 12:55 PM

I don't know if this is any use. It is a "cut & paste" part of a thread from late october under the "LOBRO / NOT LOBRO" heading ( It is not specific to LSD, just general).

As you can see, I haven't got the hang of using the "quote" facility!
""DOES ANYONE KNOW IF THE BOLT-ON DRIVE SHAFTS CAN BE FITTED TO A DIFF WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY FITTED WITH PUSH-IN DRIVESHAFTS?
IN OTHER WORDS, ARE THE INTERNALS OF THE DIFFS IDENTICAL? FROM MEMORY, THE HAYNES MAUAL SHOWS THE BOLT-ON SHAFTS ARE RETAINED
BY A C-CLIP, BUT WILL THIS C-CLIP AREANGEMENT FIT A DIFF WHICH DIDN'T ORIGINALLY USE A C-CLIP?

CHEERS

TERRY

TL - yes, the diffs are the same internally. You just need to remove the tripod drive units and replace them with a pair of drive flanges from a Lobro-equipped diff. I've only seen Lobro joints on cars with disc brakes but I don't know if this is always the case.

Eddy""

macspeedy - 7/12/03 at 04:40 PM

so instead of buying discs and the associated parts needed to overhall a lsd rear diff etc... It could be cheaper to get drive shafts made up as i don't see any real advantage to having discs on the back on such a light car.. anyone now how much it costs to have driveshafts chopped and welded?

Liam - 7/12/03 at 07:34 PM

The way i read the quote above, it seems all you have to do is get the drive flanges out of the LSD (just circlipped in i expect) and your existing tripode type shafts will just slot in as they do into a normal diff.

Certainly looks like this might work from the diff cutaway diagrams in my sierra V6 haynes manual. It looks like it might be the case that the lobro type diffs are actually the same as the tripode type diffs apart from the fact they have a flange stuck in each side.

Dunno though.

Liam

blueshift - 7/12/03 at 10:52 PM

after reading this thread and thinking, please ignore my previous comment, I think it was rubbish.

I won't comment further at the moment as I am extremely tired, brain no work

locoboy - 8/12/03 at 02:23 PM

So from this thread then i gather that is it not possible to fit a LSD to a drum braked car?

Or am i too having a head F*ck too!

James - 8/12/03 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by colmaccoll
So from this thread then i gather that is it not possible to fit a LSD to a drum braked car?

Or am i too having a head F*ck too!

Well, judging by what TL has posted above it may indeed be possible.

Certainly, it's not possible to do it *without* doing what he says. Basically we need someone who's got both and is willing to pull them apart to compare.

I have both but now I've painted and installed my 4x4 I'm not too keen to strip it apart!

Cheers,

James

blueshift - 8/12/03 at 03:56 PM

I think TL was right. I have heard this discussed before, I forget where, sorry..

I think it works something like, you take the back off the LSD, undo the circlips on the end of the lobro driveshafts, pull them out, push your tripode ones in and bob's your uncle.

we have a sierra LSD that we need to strip, clean and paint up. if anyone's around with some tripode shafts and wants to see if they prod in, let me know.

hopefully someone will turn up who knows either way though

macspeedy - 8/12/03 at 04:24 PM

thanks for all the advice guys, i am going to a ford garage tommorrow so may ask then depending on what mood they seem to be in, always asking for odd parts they never have in stock you get some strained looks, but that is there job.. anyway maybe someone in the know from MK could help?

[Edited on 8/12/03 by macspeedy]

locoboy - 10/12/03 at 12:54 PM

anyone got conclusive evidence yet?

locoboy - 6/1/04 at 04:12 PM

Still no conclusive evidence? come on chaps its a good one to answer

cosworth - 7/1/04 at 05:17 PM

Tripode type driveshafts will definitely fit an LSD type diff unit (I have tried it today). Not sure about lobro types fitting an open diff yet but will confirm this by the weekend

locoboy - 8/1/04 at 09:13 AM

Nice one Cosworth, all us drum brakers willl be waiting with baited breath.

[Edited on 8/1/04 by colmaccoll]

JoelP - 8/1/04 at 10:34 AM

in case anyones bothered, there is a v6 on ebay for £25, thats a cheap way to get the right bits (assuming it is the right bits). up in dumfrees...:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2452697001&category=9844

James - 8/1/04 at 10:38 AM

Good move that man Cosworth!

Cheers,

James

[Edited on 8/1/04 by James]

macspeedy - 8/1/04 at 02:42 PM

good work

cosworth - 14/1/04 at 09:44 PM

Just tried to fit lobro quarter shafts to an open diff-they definitley work as well so you can fit either lobro or tripode type shafts to either an open or viscous LSD type diff

locoboy - 15/1/04 at 10:04 AM

woohoo nice round donuts here we come!

Cheers Cossie.

Liam - 16/1/04 at 08:21 PM

Before all you tripode-boys all go out and buy LSDs thinking all you need are some circlip pliers, I've done a bit of finding out meself...

Cosworth - did you try all this with a lobro type diff or an actual LSD? Cos I think there is a significant difference...

From what I can tell the ends of the shafts that actually fit into the diff are the same length (left and right) on the tripode shafts. This is also true for non-LSD lobro shafts, so you can wip out the flanges from a lobro-type diff (being identical left and right) and use your tripode shafts, as Cosworth has found.

If I'm wrong about this and your tripode diff inputs are different lengths then I'll shut up now (and I know the actual shafts themselves are different lengths - I'm talking about the part that fits into the diff). I dont actually have any tripode shafts - but I have a sierra V6 haynes manual with nice technical drawings of the innards of both types of diff.

HOWEVER...the insides of a genuine LSD are different to a non LSD (even one with Lobro shafts). With the LSD plates sitting on the left hand (passenger) side, the diff mechanism is shifted over to the right hand (driver's) side. Consequently the lobro quarter-shafts for an LSD are different lengths left and right. So tripode shafts wont fit in properly!

I found all this out in the last few days of driveshaft reconditioning and diff fiddling. Here's a photo if the inner ends of my shafts. Coincidentally (or not) with an LSD your 'short' shaft is the same length overall as your 'long' shaft! Looks like there's no easy LSD option for all you drum brake/tripode geezers

Liam

[Edited on 17/1/04 by Liam] Rescued attachment shafts.jpg
Rescued attachment shafts.jpg

Graceland - 16/1/04 at 08:50 PM

this was tried and tested and discussed at great length on the interford.co.uk bb - a man called Dojj had the ultemate answer that lsd shafts are for lsd diffs only and shafts that uses disks can be used with the lsd. however, normal drum brake shafts cannot be used in an lsd diff or disk brake diff setup.

cosworth - 16/1/04 at 09:17 PM

I have physically tried the following-tripode type shaft onto LSD type diff as I remember it worked OK both sides-I will check again tomorrow-lobro type shaft into LHS of open type diff only will try both sides tomorrow and give definitive answer

cosworth - 17/1/04 at 03:04 PM

This is the final answer. The long quarter shaft from a lobro joint driveshaft will fit both sides of an open type diff. Tripode driveshafts will only fit on one side of an LSD diff-sorry for the bum information earlier.

jcduroc - 22/3/04 at 02:58 PM

quote:
Originally posted by cosworth
Just tried to fit lobro quarter shafts to an open diff-they definitley work as well so you can fit either lobro or tripode type shafts to either an open or viscous LSD type diff

BTW (I guess Cossie will be able to answer this), which models have LSD diffs? And are these 7 or 7 1/2 in? Are they all disc-braked?

Thanks for helping. Cheers
Joćo

macspeedy - 24/3/04 at 10:25 PM

Taking my idea to its end, can you use the inside parts of a lsd driveshaft and retain the outer ends non lsd "drum brake" by getting them cut and welded as i know that the type i have, the driveshafts are compressed when assembled, could this cause a problem, are the lsd types compressed, also does anybody remember how much it costs to have driveshafts made up balanced etc