Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Edis failure
scutter

posted on 16/6/08 at 03:46 PM Reply With Quote
Edis failure

As per the title, how likely is this?

After trying to fire my MS n edis in limp home mode, i'm getting no sparks, we've swapped out the coil pack(cheers to Cheffy for nipping home for a spare coil it's only 40 miles )

There is 12v getting to the coil pack and edis unit during cranking and when the MS is connected it shows a stable 160-170 rpm on the gauge, so i'm assuming the VR sensor is wired correctly.

So is my edis cooked, and does anyone have a spare lying about

Atb Dan.

The less I worked, the more i liked it.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
big_wasa

posted on 16/6/08 at 04:00 PM Reply With Quote
ive pulled 30~35 out of old cars and never found a dead one.

If your Ms is seeing engine speed then it must be geting the pip & saw so the edis must be doing somthing.

I would re check your wiring.

I have come across a few duff coil packs though.

graememk

posted on 16/6/08 at 04:14 PM Reply With Quote
i had a problem like this it turnes out that when i cranked the starter motor the way i had wired the car the coil lost its 12v but had 12v at ignition, crank it again and it went

scutter

posted on 16/6/08 at 05:01 PM Reply With Quote
I've been out for a further play,

The voltage is dropping to about 9.5-10 volts during cranking at both the coil pack and Edis is this normal?

All the earths are con checking ok. running out of ideas, I agree a faulty unit is rare, but both Cheffy and myself have checked all the lines in and out of the edis against the wiring diagrams.

Is there anyway of checking that each side of the coilpack is being earthed by the edis?

ATB Dan.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MkIndy7

posted on 16/6/08 at 05:23 PM Reply With Quote
Does the engine also sound to be turning over slowly?

Our pinto turns over at about 300rpm+

Another idea might be to try turning it over with the plugs out so it can turn over faster and then see if you have a spark.

Also putting a bulb in the various parts that should stay live when cranking and running, they could be showing 12V on a multimeter but only providing miliamps of current.

CairB

posted on 16/6/08 at 05:46 PM Reply With Quote
If its never run before then it may be worth swapping the VR sensor wires over.
It won't fire if the VR is connected the wrong round, I'm not sure whether it outputs an output pulse though.

big_wasa

posted on 16/6/08 at 06:08 PM Reply With Quote
conect the edis and coil to a seperate battery, earths and all.
scutter

posted on 16/6/08 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
I will swap the wires around in the morning, just don't like unsoldering connections.

I'm not best pleased about the standard that I did the Edis loom to in the first place, so may hack this one about to get running then tidy it up later with new connectors and pins.

I've managed to find a Edis module I can borrow tomorrow, so will try that first.

Finally for tonight, does anyone know where you can get new pins that go into the Edis plug so I can make it shiney and new.

ATB Dan.

big_wasa

posted on 16/6/08 at 07:30 PM Reply With Quote
No but there is a donor that will give you a loom that does not need much chopping about.

Just cant remember which

scutter

posted on 16/6/08 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Oh come on stop teasing

ATB Dan

tim windmill

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:39 AM Reply With Quote
afaik, they need at least 9.0 v when cranking so you are close with 9.5 - 10v,
try jump leads with another battery

scutter

posted on 17/6/08 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
That is with the diesel jump leads attached.

I've tried removing all the plugs, MS only showed a 40-50rpm increase to 220-230rpm.

i've swapped out the edis unit and it's still not playing, i've swapped the VR sensor wires and the MS showed no rpm at all, so i can assume that it was wired correctly in the first place.

Running out of ideas, thinking of sell the MS/relay board and the edis and going out for soem retail therapy at omex

ATB Dan.

MkIndy7

posted on 17/6/08 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Is the Feed to the coil pack and the MS staying live when cranking?.

I've also heard that if the EDIS and the Coil pack feed are combined that it won't work (I can't see why myself)

Have you tried connecting the EDIS and coilpack to another battery completely, to rule out the feed not staying live or the starter nicking all the power?

paulf

posted on 17/6/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Is the crank sensor ok?and from the engine it is fitted to? there is a problem with using a sensor from an auto on a manual flywheel as the clearance is incorrect I thnk the part it mounts to needs to be changed, just in case you may have this combination.If you have 12v, crank sensor signal and a good coilpack it should spark.A faulty coil would at least spark on one pair of plugs as it contains 2 seperate coils.
Paul.

scutter

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
Yes we've got 12V whilst cranking the engine over, i wired the Edis using this diagram and yes i did shield the VR and Pip/Saw lines( i know it's a megajolt one )

I'm assuming as the megasquirt is showing Rpm during cranking and if i cross connect the wires it shows none, that the Vr sensor is working and the engine was a manual, all i've done is fit a 1800 flywheel rather than the 2L one.

I'm thinking more leads now, just gotta find the cash for some new ones

Just thinking out loud, if you supply 12V direct from the battery and earth each output in turn the coilpack should spark yes?
I'm off to test the idea anyway. JUST BACK, the coil pack didn't fire but each return shorted when placed against the earthing point. Bugger.

Anymore ideas?
ATB Dan.

[Edited on 17/6/08 by scutter]

big_wasa

posted on 17/6/08 at 09:30 PM Reply With Quote
Shame I dont live nearer as I would soon have it running

If you want to send me your edis electronics ill test them on my engine for you

scutter

posted on 18/6/08 at 07:27 PM Reply With Quote
RESULT, Ok, where to start.

1, In my edis plug i'd snapped one of the retaining tangs, so the pin wasn't staying in contact with the module.

2, The fuse that was supplying power was badly put together, so only making contact intermitantly, I only noticed when the relay board was happly clicking away.

3, The Edis module is Fubar'd, fixed problems 1 & 2 and swapped them out, voila spark from the plugs

So, i've a new Edis harness after trawling 6 scrapyards around Oxford, So does anyone have 2 spare Edis modules, or at least one to get me going?

Now the real fun can begin with the Megasquirt.

Cheers to everyone who chipped in, Dan.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.