Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: which welder
locoboy

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
which welder

Im involved in a new business venture beginning to break land rovers at work now and am getting through 4-5 a week at present and selling through ebay and other channels and its taking off.

We primarily break Discoveries and have the oportunity to buy some damaged repairables.

I have been repairing the front innner wings on a 1995 V8 today and have been struggling with wire feed on my own SIP 180.

This model is plagued with wire feed issues and I have a metal liner kit installed to ease things and its really quite poor on the lower settings used for bodywork and repair plate.

The settings are quite limited due to the style of the machine and in addition to this it's MY home machine and i dont want it being worn out at work.

The machine seems to pulse the wire and is more pronounced when the torch is inverted when im welding upside down.

I can weld relatively well on vertical surfaces but its really beginning to annoy me when welding upside down.............i know practice practice practice but im sure my machine is not helping matters.

The machine will not see heavy prolonged use but it will see a couple of outings a month and be in use for a couple of days per outing.

What machine would you guys reccommend for such applications?

Damn rotten disco's, if only they rotted on vertical bits only i would be fine!

Any info greatly recieved

ATB
Locoboy

Volvorsport

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
got any disco3 wheelarches ?

as ive found with my 185 amp welder , you need to buy a good one .

www.dbsmotorsport.co.uk
getting dirty under a bus

blakep82

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
clarke 151te? should e fine since its not for heavy industrial use. recommended by loads on here (and me)

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

UncleFista

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by blakep82
clarke 151te? should e fine since its not for heavy industrial use. recommended by loads on here (and me)

Seconded, probably the best "hobby" welder for the price.

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

owelly

posted on 17/6/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
But I have to add, don't use an extension lead with the welder unless it's a heavy one! I've seen folks struggling with good(ish) welders and failing to get a good weld purely down to having a 10 metre extension lead that was 1.5mm. Plug the welder into a wall socket and see if things improve!

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
blakep82

posted on 17/6/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
^ a very good point! never thought of that... i always use mine with an 8m extention, and the extention gets warm if i use my grinder with it.... hmmm, a new minimal length, thick wire extention needed i think

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Wadders

posted on 17/6/08 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
If its making you money, then don't waste your time with an inferior machine, go out and buy a good quality bit of kit, thats up to the job.
At the end of the year it comes off your tax bill anyway.
New I would look for something like a Kemmpi, miller or esab.
If cash is tight and you have 3 phase, its possible to pick up some real bargains.
I bought a 350amp murex with seperate wire feed for £240+vat recently.
Al.

Originally posted by locoboy
Im involved in a new business venture beginning to break land rovers at work now and am getting through 4-5 a week at present and selling through ebay and other channels and its taking off.

We primarily break Discoveries and have the oportunity to buy some damaged repairables.

I have been repairing the front innner wings on a 1995 V8 today and have been struggling with wire feed on my own SIP 180.

This model is plagued with wire feed issues and I have a metal liner kit installed to ease things and its really quite poor on the lower settings used for bodywork and repair plate.

The settings are quite limited due to the style of the machine and in addition to this it's MY home machine and i dont want it being worn out at work.

The machine seems to pulse the wire and is more pronounced when the torch is inverted when im welding upside down.

I can weld relatively well on vertical surfaces but its really beginning to annoy me when welding upside down.............i know practice practice practice but im sure my machine is not helping matters.

The machine will not see heavy prolonged use but it will see a couple of outings a month and be in use for a couple of days per outing.

What machine would you guys reccommend for such applications?

Damn rotten disco's, if only they rotted on vertical bits only i would be fine!

Any info greatly recieved

iank

posted on 17/6/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
Buy a good industrial brand. I noticed they use Lincoln's on scrapheap challenge which look rather nice.

Side note: the website plays the bacon frying sound on the front page if you need to tell people what to try for).
http://www.lincolnelectric.com/

Good luck with the venture.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

britishtrident

posted on 18/6/08 at 06:43 AM Reply With Quote
Of the hobby/semi pro MIGs the Clarke range are pretty good.

re wire feed problems with the SIP try a Teflon liner

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

Fred W B

posted on 18/6/08 at 05:33 PM Reply With Quote
I'm very happy with my Hobart.

While we are talking about welders. You know how everything manufactured nowadays has a cheaper copy made in china? My companies core skill is welding, and we use Miller machines in manual welding stations

I saw some pics of a chinese factory set up to build the same product as us, they also have miller welding machines

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

NS Dev

posted on 18/6/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
depends on whether or not you have 3 phase.

If you DO, then get a secondhand ESAB, Sureweld, Murex or Lincoln MIG, or any other good industrial machine. All can be had for well under £300 in excellent condition.

If you DON'T, then get one a bit like mine, its the biggest that will run on single phase. Its called an ERP, its actually un "unbadged" import machine from the italian factory that make the sealey machines. Its big, takes the 15kg rolls, holds a full size gas bottle, has tough wheels for rough yards and has served me very well. It was £400 when I bought it a few years back.

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

NS Dev

posted on 18/6/08 at 06:57 PM Reply With Quote
here's mine:

erp link clicky

Retro RWD is the way forward...........automotive fabrication, car restoration, sheetmetal work, engine conversion retro car restoration and tuning

Peteff

posted on 18/6/08 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
I have an Erfi 170, German made and it's been brilliant. I've used it to weld everything from 20g to 3/8" plate and it's blown one fuse in 12 years. I used to have a SIP autoplus and the feed was crap but I used to find if I had too much pressure on the feed spring it made it worse

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thomas4age

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
can't go wrong with cebora also,

are you sure it's not the welders hose lining? I had that, new inner tube in the hose fixed a long existing problem cost 10 euro's or such.

grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

mad-butcher

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
new but s/h sealley
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mad-butcher
new but s/h sealley

I've just bought a Siegen 180 amp machine from them for £205. Out of the boxes and scratched etc, but basically new

John

ashg

posted on 2/9/08 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
i have got a migatronic. cost a bit but was worth every penny. go to www.mig-welding.co.uk and have a chat with a boke called weldquip he will advise you what you need and can supply anything from a clarke(cheeper than the mart) to a custom built machine.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

rodriguez

posted on 3/9/08 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
I bought a clarke 160T last year and am quite impressed with it. seam welded a couple of cars and fitted a few roll cages and coped no bother at all, even with prolonged use!!

get it lit

Mix

posted on 3/9/08 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
Hi

I've a Lincoln Compact 185 single phase, it's been fine, a bit pricey but if it's tax deductable why not? Unfortunately mine isn't

Regards Mick

Peteff

posted on 3/9/08 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
Get the Cebora 185 R1minimagic is selling in for sale section, it's a good deal for what he's asking Col.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thwang

posted on 8/9/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
esab,s are as good as they used to be about 5 years ago they use cheaper internals cycle duration isnt as long. i use a cebora never had a problem with it and its had some use.
simon

[Edited on 14/9/08 by thwang]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.