Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Electrolysis. See the light!
Padstar

posted on 29/7/12 at 08:38 PM Reply With Quote
Now have a set of as new hubs sat in the garage. Have greased them up to prevent them rusting over again until I decide what to do with them.

This process is great.

ianhurley20

posted on 30/11/14 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
I've used this for some time and can confirm it works. A few points

Washing soda is available from supermarkets about a pound for a bag of it, you will find it in the ..er .. washing powder section.

Power - any battery charger, CB power supply or similar will do. 6 volts or 12, either

Sacrificial anode - any lump of steel, I use an offcut or two of 25mm box mild steel, just make sure it doesn't touch the item being done

patience - leave it overnight and it will do its magic

jps

posted on 25/2/18 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Another happy electrolysis convert. Just done a brake caliper mount, the transformation is amazing!
jps

posted on 11/4/18 at 08:13 PM Reply With Quote
Another update, initially I used 4 lengths of rebar for the sacrificial anodes. I've just added a complete wrap around of 1mm sheet steel around 12" deep (the side of an old filing cabinet with the paint scuffed off using a grinding disc). Getting much more churn in the solution now.
Northy

posted on 16/6/20 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
Hi all,

I'm working on a new project and thinking of reviving my electrolysis setup for it

The parts are very rusty but were apparently originally Yellow Cadmium plated.
Does anyone know if they'll be safe to do electrolysis on, or will I create some nasty chemicals?

Thanks,

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Angel Acevedo

posted on 18/6/20 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
Is there a chance it was yellow tinted Zinc Galvanizing as was done by the Binky crew?

Beware of what you wish.. for it may come true....

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Northy

posted on 18/6/20 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, I don't know what you mean?

They are Sinclair C5 parts.

G

Graham

Website under construction. Help greatfully received as I don't really know what I'm doing!

"If a man says something in the woods and there are no women there, is he still wrong?"

Built 2L 8 Valve Vx Powered Avon

Dingz

posted on 18/6/20 at 10:00 PM Reply With Quote
I doubt it will be cadmium, its been banned for many years in Europe, not sure if the Americans still use it. Probably zinc with yellow passivate.

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

JC

posted on 19/6/20 at 05:07 AM Reply With Quote
Sounds like passivated zinc coating to me too. Weren’t the C5 parts made in the Hoover washing machine factory - or was that just the motors?
Mr Whippy

posted on 19/6/20 at 11:56 AM Reply With Quote
Being a C5 so it's built in 1985... it's very likely it is Cadmium plating, I'd only paint it
<<  8    9    10    11  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.