Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Need some IT / website help urgently!!
grazzledazzle

posted on 24/6/08 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
Need some IT / website help urgently!!

Hello all,
I'm just about to register a domian name, and have a one page holder html file. The file was created in go-live and has an image in which is currently linked to an image on my hardrive.

How do i get this hosted? Presumably i need someone to host it, but anyone know how i go about this and how i upload my page?

I'm guessing this may be a dumb question but i've never done it before.

Thanks.

joneh

posted on 24/6/08 at 08:56 PM Reply With Quote
Probably easiest to get some hosting with the people you bought the domain from as you'll need to update the domain Tag to point to the correct host.

You'll be given an FTP login account and address, download an ftp client, and upload your file to the host making sure sure you name it index.html.

The location of the image will need to be updated in the HTML, most people put their images in a file named "images".

[Edited on 24/6/08 by joneh]

Jubal

posted on 24/6/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
You need some webspace. I think you worked that out already. I use www.cheapnames.co.uk and they have been utterly reliable. If you buy the domain at the same place you host the site your life will be made (a little bit) easier. They have a web interface for uploading to your space and options for email etc. Loads of other providers out there if you don't like the look of them.
ChrisS

posted on 24/6/08 at 09:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by grazzledazzle
Hello all,
I'm just about to register a domian name, and have a one page holder html file. The file was created in go-live and has an image in which is currently linked to an image on my hardrive.

How do i get this hosted? Presumably i need someone to host it, but anyone know how i go about this and how i upload my page?

I'm guessing this may be a dumb question but i've never done it before.

Thanks.

You have U2U.

Regards

Chris

ChrisW

posted on 25/6/08 at 03:16 AM Reply With Quote
More than happy to help you with this. Give me a call in the office tomorrow and I can sort it all out there and then - 0207 670 1670.

This very site runs on servers hosted on my company's network. Have you ever noticed any downtime?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
dhutch

posted on 25/6/08 at 07:55 AM Reply With Quote
I have a small site and a handfull of domains (www.emilyanne.co.uk being one).
- Currently the domains and hosting are managed by 123-reg. Thats certainly been fairly painless, as mentioned there are minor advantages to using the same company for both, but at the same time im looking to shift the hosting elsewhere at some point anyway. I dont have much to compair to to but 123reg seams ok, fairly user freindly, and other than minor email fowarding issues (like 24hour delays for a week) a few years ago no real quarms.

A lot of places like 123-reg have there own crude web-based FTP wizard, which would cover you for one file.

Otherwise programs such as dreamweaver incorporate a FTP facilty. Which is what i use.

Daniel

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.