Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: DVLA inspection
stuart_g

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:38 PM Reply With Quote
DVLA inspection

Following my DVLA woes with the Ipswich office. I took my paperwork to Chelmsford DVLA today and they accepted everything straight away, I have even come away with an inspection date of this Wednesday although I'm going to have to rearrange now as I can't get the time off work. Hopefully get inspection for Monday next week.

What do they look at, is it just to check the engine/VIN numbers?

You never know I might even get it on the road next week.

donut

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
With both of mine they just looked over the car very generally. They just want to make sure it is what you say it is and get the description correct on the V5. The will probably insist on the chassis number being stamped on the chassis, however when mine was inspected the chassis was not stamped so i asked what he wanted me to do and he said stamp the chassis, i said ok and then had a plate made and riveted it on!!!!

[Edited on 30/6/08 by donut]

Andy

When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/andywest1/

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
scoop

posted on 30/6/08 at 03:47 PM Reply With Quote
Is this pre or post SVA inspection?
Ive just been to the local office today at Norwich and they very calmly took all paperwork off of me and said "Dont worry about anything. We will write to you soon giving you a chassis number etc"
I wa sjust expecting grief but didnt get any.

stuart_g

posted on 30/6/08 at 04:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scoop
Is this pre or post SVA inspection?

This is a post SVA inspection.

joetait

posted on 30/6/08 at 05:49 PM Reply With Quote
Steve,

Was that you in there at ~2.45pm on desk 7 or 8 talking to the bloke about your issues with the VIN number? I think I was just behind you waiting to register my Dax Rush. (I had the queue ticket# 428)

Jon

BenB

posted on 30/6/08 at 05:55 PM Reply With Quote
The DVLA inspection is a waste of space. My inspector just looked at the chassis number, the engine number is only visable from under the car and "ooh, that floor looks a bit cold" then when I asked how much road tax I need to send with my paperwork said "guess if it's a motorbike engine you'll pay motorbike road tax"

IE haven't got a clue. Glad I didn't have to trailer the car over to them for that!!!

stuart_g

posted on 30/6/08 at 07:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joetait
Steve,

Was that you in there at ~2.45pm on desk 7 or 8 talking to the bloke about your issues with the VIN number? I think I was just behind you waiting to register my Dax Rush. (I had the queue ticket# 428)

Jon

Hi Jon,

Yes it was me I was just explaining that I didn't really want to stamp my powder coated tubular chassis. I don't know what it will do to it, probably come off in big flakes. The inspector seemed to know what I was on about and was trying to find a solution. I'll have a look over the next few days and see what I can do.

When I got in there at 13:15 I had ticket 386 they were on 352 and as you saw I was still there at 14:45 I only drove there from Ipswich in my dinner hour.

Did you get your car sorted? what time did you escape?

Cheers
Stu.

mackei23b

posted on 30/6/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
At my inspection the DVLA checked the chassis and engine number and recorded the location of the chassis VIN, all done in 5 minutes.

Cheers

Ian

richardh

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:20 PM Reply With Quote
yep, just an engine no and chassis no inspection
well done................

zetec

posted on 30/6/08 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
I know it's no help now but this is a good reason for getting the inspection done before the SVA. I managed to get it all registered on the same say as day as the SVA.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

DaveFJ

posted on 1/7/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Amazed you are having trouble with the Ipswich office!
They could not have been better or more efficient for me!
I went in waited about 5 mins then handed over all my paperwork to the woman on the desk. She asked for MOT and I explained it didn't need one so she phoned the woman who does the inspections and she confirmed it.
had a phone call 2 hours later asking if she could 2 days later. inspection took 10 mins and she then said she would try to get me on the road for the weekend. true to her word the docs were ready for collection the following lunchtime. she did say however that if i had let her know about the SVA date she would have travelled to Norwich and inspected it then!

Like I say - I can't praise the Ipswich office enough!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

alant

posted on 1/7/08 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
My car is a buggy so I was not concerned about receiving a Q plate.

Visited my local DVLA office following the SVA.

It was intimated that if I wanted an age related plate my car would need an inspection but if I was ok with a Q the paperwork could be completed in about 10 minutes.

Less than 40 minutes after walking in I walked out with a tax disc and number plate authority form, on the road that night.

stuart_g

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ
I went in waited about 5 mins then handed over all my paperwork to the woman on the desk. She asked for MOT and I explained it didn't need one so she phoned the woman who does the inspections and she confirmed it.
had a phone call 2 hours later asking if she could 2 days later. inspection took 10 mins and she then said she would try to get me on the road for the weekend. true to her word the docs were ready for collection the following lunchtime. she did say however that if i had let her know about the SVA date she would have travelled to Norwich and inspected it then!

Did you have your own chassis number? if not then that is probably why it went so smooth because they could do it their way. If you have a manufacturers chassis number then they are stuck, they don't know what to do and they will want to give you one of their's which is complete nonsense. I guess you kept the same engine size, because that throws them aswell. If it aint all straight forward they don't know what to do.

alant

posted on 1/7/08 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Arrived in waiting area where a lady asked if anyone needed any help with their forms before being called to a window.

I explained that I wanted to first register a kit car and couldn't even find the right form.

She went and got one and then proceeded to fill it in for me.

Called to a window where the young lady said that she had not dealt with this before and would go and ask an inspector.

She then returned and said, wait at the back of the room and the inspector will come and speak to you.

The inspector then asked me what reg plate I was hoping for to which I replied that I was not bothered.

He advised me that if a Q was ok he could start the paperwork straight away.

I said how long, thinking in days, he said 10 minutes.

In under 10 minutes he returned, asked me how long I wanted to tax it for, and said don't queue again go back to the same window, I have told her you are coming, and she will complete the paperwork.

Left in under 40 minutes with everything sorted, and my chassis number is the one provided by the manufacturer and is a 9 digit number

alant

posted on 1/7/08 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Forgot to add, along with the paperwork I took photo's showing the location of the number on the chassis, and on a seperate plate that I have riveted in place in the passenger compartment. These were both close ups showing the number and from a distance showing location on the car.

I also did the same for the engine number.

stuart_g

posted on 3/7/08 at 05:36 PM Reply With Quote
I had the inspection done today at Chelmsford, no problems at all. Tax and reg number will be with me in 3 - 5 days. I may be able to go for a blast one night next week, woohooo!

[Edited on 3/7/08 by stuart_g]

Johneturbo

posted on 3/7/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Woohoo indeed
DaveFJ

posted on 4/7/08 at 07:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by stuart_g
quote:
Originally posted by DaveFJ

Did you have your own chassis number? if not then that is probably why it went so smooth because they could do it their way. If you have a manufacturers chassis number then they are stuck, they don't know what to do and they will want to give you one of their's which is complete nonsense. I guess you kept the same engine size, because that throws them aswell. If it aint all straight forward they don't know what to do.

Nope and Nope

engine was bored out to 2.1 and chassis number supplied by Tiger.. they didn't bat an eyelid!

Dave

"In Support of Help the Heroes" - Always

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.