Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: filter or plenum for TB's
omega0684

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
filter or plenum for TB's

morning all,

i was just looking at the pipercross website and came accross this Pipercross linky,

so i started to think a bit (very dangerous) is it better to have a plenum type intake or to have an open filter over throttle bodies?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
martyn_16v

posted on 1/7/08 at 08:37 AM Reply With Quote
Plenum is much much better for noise. It'll also make it a bit easier to route cold air in instead of just sucking up everything around an open filter. It could be a bit more restrictive than just a filter, but then a badly thought out filter (i.e. too close to trumpet ends, or using filter socks) can be pretty bad as well.

Only trouble is that Pipercross one is horrendously expensive. I want one, but for less than half that. Going to have to have a stab at making one myself I think. Quite a few people have made one up out of ally.

Paul TigerB6

posted on 1/7/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Depends on what you mean by "better" i guess. I will use on of these as in my Tiger B6 i wont stand a chance with the standard airbox and unless i am very lucky with the height of my planned ZX10R engine i am going to have the filter or airbox sticking out of the bonnet. With a sausage filter there will be a lot of induction noise so trackday noise restrictions will be an issue (as will the new lower limit for IVA when that is brought in).

Maybe the airbox will restrict power slightly, but then again so would a restrictive exhaust can if i had to reduce noise that way. I'd be interested on thoughts about this myself.

Guinness

posted on 1/7/08 at 12:06 PM Reply With Quote
I fitted the PX600 to mine a few weeks back. No noticable loss of powa yet. But is is definately quieter and easier to get the air from where you want it.

Mike

iank

posted on 1/7/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
Think Triton makes a grp plenum for sensible money.

Edit: Here -> http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=88170

[Edited on 1/7/08 by iank]

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

thomas4age

posted on 3/7/08 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
If you plan to run a ZX12R or toyota 20v 4age engine don't fit the piperx box, they implode on those and might aswell do on others.

Grtz Thomas

If Lucas made guns, Wars wouldn't start either.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.