Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Steering rack limits!
Snap-off

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:03 PM Reply With Quote
Steering rack limits!

Hi guys,
I need to shorten the travel of my steering rack as I have contact with the cycle wing brackets on full lock. I noticed this after setting up the camber.

I have tried:
Rubber hose held on with cable tie (Went into the rack, safety issue)
shaft collar (Diameter too large, pulled the gaitor off)
Jubilee clip (Diameter too large, pulled the gaitor off)

I don't want to strip out the rack as I have only 1 week to SVA and I am short of free time
Are there any other methods of doing this?

whitestu

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
You need 2 pinto valve springs. They fit perfectly into the rack - just unsrew the steering arm to fit.

You also get a bit of springy self centring as well.

Stu

nitram38

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
Bump stops on your wishbones?
I thought that it is your wheels that must not touch the bodywork. Cycle wing contact does not count.

Snap-off

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys!
Is it a straight forward job to screw the ball sockets off the rack to fit spacers?

adithorp

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
I turned 2 ring out of ally. Outside diameter a few thou' more than the inside diameter of the rack tube and inside diameter big enough for the rack to pass through without fouling. I then cut a piece out of one side to form a "c". popped it over the rack and pressed it into the tube. The cut allowed it to spring a bit and fit in the tube. Its secure and doesn't need the track rods off to fit.

adrian

tegwin

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
I used a piece of 1.5mm wall ali tube that fits perfectly over the inside edge of the trackrod arm joint....split tube down the middle, bend it open...slip on and then bend closed with pliers...

Gives a nice firm stop at either end and is infinatly adjustable be simply trimming the tube a bit...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

whitestu

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Is it a straight forward job to screw the ball sockets off the rack to fit spacers?

It is.

Just take the gaiters off to get to them. Mine came off by hand which was a bit worrying - You probably will need molegrips or stilsons to get them off, but otherwise its dead easy.

Stu

Snap-off

posted on 2/7/08 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Very good suggestions guys! I'm very impressed!
I had made some ally spacers up earlier but thought I would have had to take the rack out to fit them. I made them so they slide over the rack and fit into the tube. I think I will try the ''C'' idea tomorrow.

Thanks all!

quote:
Originally posted by adithorp
I turned 2 ring out of ally. Outside diameter a few thou' more than the inside diameter of the rack tube and inside diameter big enough for the rack to pass through without fouling. I then cut a piece out of one side to form a "c". popped it over the rack and pressed it into the tube. The cut allowed it to spring a bit and fit in the tube. Its secure and doesn't need the track rods off to fit.

adrian

ReMan

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
I slit a suspension poly bush , clipped it over the rack nd then clipped it tight again, no dismantling needed, jut pu;ll back the gaiter. Same as the ally tube method
MartynV

posted on 2/7/08 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for the 'C' shaped spacer type, turned ours from solid nylon bar!

Pull gaiters back fit spacer and refit gaiters, jobs a good un!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.