Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: The oil crisis had to come, and now it's here
mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:29 AM Reply With Quote
The oil crisis had to come, and now it's here

This is something I've wondered about for ages, why have we been getting away with wasting oil based energy for such a long time?

Now, of course, we aren't getting away with it. By we I don't mean us here on this forum, I mean the whole country and indeed the whole world.

For instance-
how often have you seen BMW X5's (and the others) hurtlng along motorways at 90mph?
how often have your heard about people going to get married not in their local church, but in Las Vegas or some Pacific island?
Driven around a deserted city centre at night, in an absolute blaze of street lighting?
Noticed that most of the cars on the road have badges at the back proudly declaring their ability to consume fuel (e.g. engine size and type, turbo, number of valves etc)?

One of the thinks I like best about the kit car/special scene is the way we re-use these expensively made components and create cars which are fuel efficient- and fun.

02GF74

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
why have we been getting away with destroying natural habbitats of ather aninamals, deforrestation, pollutimng the sea, rivers lakes, poisoning the earth and so on and so on....

like I said yesterday,
we're doomed!!

Maybe it is time to panic, cpt Manwairing.

Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:41 AM Reply With Quote
I am surprised at the number of large 4x4’s still on the road and the speeds they continue to be driven. Your right about the wasteful streetlights but I think it is a problem with the bulbs in that they need to heat up before they reach normal brightness so making them light up when needed would require more expensive to run types, a simple IR sensor looking down would be all that is needed to switch them on when needed and would have the advantage that you would know a car was coming miles away.

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
paulf

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
Never mind , im sure the new £4 billlion aircraft carrirers will be enviromentally friendly and are really needed not just being built to create 10,000 jobs.
Paul.

smart51

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:50 AM Reply With Quote
How long until the BEC vs CEC arguement turns to MPG?
D Beddows

posted on 3/7/08 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
lol - kit cars fuel efficient? are you sure! most of us strip off all the bits that make an engine more efficient cos they usually kill the power as well.

On a slightly different tack....... can we have a few more cheerful threads I'm sick to death of all this doom and gloom

indykid

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
One of the thinks I like best about the kit car/special scene is the way we re-use these expensively made components and create cars which are fuel efficient- and fun.

and then go off on a weekend or an evening and drive 50, 100, however many miles, that we didn't need to drive, purely for our own amusement.

driving to work isn't fun, but it is necessary. maybe we need more everyday kitcars....

tom

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:04 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by indykid

driving to work isn't fun, but it is necessary. maybe we need more everyday kitcars....

tom

Absolutely.

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by D Beddows
lol - kit cars fuel efficient? are you sure! most of us strip off all the bits that make an engine more efficient cos they usually kill the power as well.

The lighter a car is the more fuel efficient it is going to be in carrying out its function of transporting people. I think most of the bits on engines that get removed by enthusiasts are more to do with noise and emmissions that efficiency. IMHO

Hammerhead

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:07 AM Reply With Quote
So am I a criminal for driving a 5 Litre V10 Diesel 4X4?

Considering you are trying to attract customers to your services, you seem to like making sweeping generalisations about people, getting all hot under the collar about your political views.

This ain't pistonheads you know.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by Hammerhead]

eznfrank

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
how often have your heard about people going to get married not in their local church, but in Las Vegas or some Pacific island?

I got married in Vegas and then took a further 8 internal flights around the USA oon my honeymoon and it freakin rocked!!! - I can't think of one good reason why I would have got married in a local church???

And just for the record by the end of the year I will have made at least 4 long haul flights and 6 short haul. That's not me being cocky or saying I don't give a stuff about the environment but there's a big world out there, a lot of which is fortunately still very beautiful and if you want to see a bit of it a few times a year you don't have much choice to jump on the old silver bird.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by eznfrank]

D Beddows

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:20 AM Reply With Quote
I think you'll find most 'enthusiastically' driven kit cars do well under 20mpg which isn't exactly fuel efficient!
UncleFista

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hammerhead

Considering you are trying to attract customers to your services, you seem to like making sweeping generalisations about people, getting all hot under the collar about your political views.

He never said criminal, in fact he never made a judgement at all. He said "wasting oil based energy" and if you're gonna argue that with yer V10 oil-burner, good luck to you

Calm down, it's "still" not Pistonheads here ya know ?

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:36 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

Didn't say you were. When you bought it you made a decision based on your requirements and the cost of the fuel (at the time). We are all entitled to do that.

quote:

I'm not the one makng the sweeping generalisations here, nor am I in any way hot under the collar. I think things must be a little warm in your neck regions because you are reading attitudes into what I've written that simply aren't there.

My views are not in the least political. As will be shown my recent posts on related subjects, the situation regarding the use of oil has virtually nothing to do with politics at all.

It's all about economics. When a commodity has been cheap for a long time, consumptions will rise to a point where it can't be sustained. The examples I mentioned were examples where consumption of a commodity (in this case oil) has risen far above the necessary because it has been too cheap for too long.

That is not a political view, that's an economic view. To be political I would have to be suggesting a course of action such as voting for a particular party. I'm not. This has nothing to do with politics.

Hope that makes things clearer for you

John

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by eznfrank
quote:

I got married in Vegas and then took a further 8 internal flights around the USA oon my honeymoon and it freakin rocked!!! - I can't think of one good reason why I would have got married in a local church???

And just for the record by the end of the year I will have made at least 4 long haul flights and 6 short haul. That's not me being cocky or saying I don't give a stuff about the environment but there's a big world out there, a lot of which is fortunately still very beautiful and if you want to see a bit of it a few times a year you don't have much choice to jump on the old silver bird.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by eznfrank]

I need to make it clear that I am not in any way trying to criticize people for the choices that they are entitiled to make. In fact, your consumption of fuel, though way above mine, is trivial compared to one bloke I know who is currently sailing around the world in a luxury motor yacht and who makes regular flights to his various homes en route.

John

richardh

posted on 3/7/08 at 11:41 AM Reply With Quote
its all hype

the planet moves in cycles.
so where is all this extra green tax money going?

to help fund an illegal war.........
make up for the old chancellors' theft.....
pay back illegal donations.........
give the police a back dated pay rise.....
fund more war machines

or just to pay for nannies as secretaries, 2nd houses, etc

i'm sick of all of it...................

this country is in a sh7t state.

whay should we care when no-one else does - especially the damn yanks..........

Dangle_kt

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Strikes me as a bit of a pointless thread thats going nowhere. If I was a mod I'd lock it...but I'm not.
beppesignori
Contributor

Posts 82
Registered 7/8/06

Photo Archive Go!
Building: MK Indy Sold. Contemplating V8 midi scratch build

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
I think the crisis of late has pushed everything in the right direction..Never mind a few oil burning 4x4s or exotic sportcars that do 10mpg or enthusiast having fun in some dirty old kitcars with the cats removed. Its the fleetcars that need to be cleaner, the mondeos, corsas etc. They are being sold by the millions and have a much greater impact. Its the commuting thats the problem, and not the weekend fun. Electric sportscars..but why? Sportscars make up a tiny fraction of the cars on the road, so let them have their fun, and make some real noise. After all, even the the guy driving to work in his prius can enjoy the sight and sound of a pagani driving by...
So encourrage the trend of zero emission cars like the new honda, hope everyone else will buy one, and continue to have fun in your toy..

smart51

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

It depends why you drive a 5 litre V10 diesel. Do you need that size of vehicle, that much engine and 4 wheel drive? If yes, then you're OK. If you could manage happily in a corsa van, on the other hand ...

woodster

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:04 PM Reply With Quote
it always p"sses me off when some tree huggin bunny lover harps on about green issues ... switching my tv off at night .. tellin me to drive a small car ... we should use wind power .......... they should have a look at a map of the world we in the uk live on a tinny little country ... what we as a country do to be green will have bugger all effect on the world
Mr Whippy

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:08 PM Reply With Quote
Hee hee, heated rage as usual

I now use the bus to work, partly to save money and also because I found driving to work everyday (I mean sitting in a queue of traffic for 1 & ½ hours) was taking all the enjoyment out of driving. So instead I just use the motor bike, push bike or car in the evenings when the roads are quiet and get some pleasure again from driving or just cycling along to the shops. Infact I am saving so much money from not driving that I am using that cash instead to buy a new motorbike, over 3k which was not spent on averaging just 10mph.

Oh and I will point out that it’s not a thing to do with any green issues, I would like the climate to be a hot hotter than it is, then I wouldn’t have to move abroad

[Edited on 3/7/08 by Mr Whippy]

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
TimC

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

Ah, it could be worse... do people recall the "i've discovered a fantastic pastime called Hillclimbing/Autotesting/Racing and happen to sell suitable products threads from a certain trader. Just comical.

In fairness to Mr H, I hope most have the sense to allow him to maintain his 'user personality' alongside his trader status.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by TimC]

smart51

posted on 3/7/08 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by woodster
we in the uk live on a tinny little country ... what we as a country do to be green will have bugger all effect on the world

Our country may be tinny but we make up 1% of the world's population, making us the 21st most populous nation out of 190 odd. Not only that, but we are the 5th richest nation and consume more power per head than almost anywhere save the USA. They and the Chinese are the biggest polluters true enough. We won't get them to change unless we do it first. To suggest that we can achieve nothing is a bit defeatist.

Hammerhead

posted on 3/7/08 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by smart51
quote:

It depends why you drive a 5 litre V10 diesel. Do you need that size of vehicle, that much engine and 4 wheel drive? If yes, then you're OK. If you could manage happily in a corsa van, on the other hand ...

The problem is that unless you explain to everyone you encounter why you (I) have such a vehicle, you are just generalised as an environment hater.
Maybe I should get the back window sign written with chapter and verse of the why and wherefore's.
I suppose I could downgrade to a 3.0 but changing cars is so bad for the environment. Good job red diesel is cheap

mr henderson

posted on 3/7/08 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

In fairness to Mr H, I hope most have the sense to allow him to maintain his 'user personality' alongside his trader status.

[Edited on 3/7/08 by TimC]

Thanks, that's what I would like too. Whilst on the one hand I would indeed like to have a stream of customers pressing lots of dosh on me I am very much an enthusiast and it's exactly because of that that I have set up a professional workshop. I know I won't make very much money but doing something I love will offset that.

I used to make kitchens. Didn't like that at all, it was just work.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.