Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Car identities
andyps

posted on 13/12/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
I guess it depends upon your intentions. My earlier suggestion is one which is surely followed pretty closely by anyone who purchases a new bodyshell from Heritage for their MGB - it is quite likely they would include an exchange engine in the rebuild which would be quite legal and maintain the identity of the original car.

I think rally teams probably do this regularly - Ford Focus WRC cars are regularly "written off" bodily, but re-appear at the next event complete with the same registration, but no doubt new shell and engine and more or less everything else.

Another example is the so called first ever Mini - registered 821AOK (I think) which once had a full length sunroof but now doesn't - can't be very original in that case.

If it is done purely to avoid SVA this is different, although, except in the case of the Midgets mentioned, the original would need to be re-SVA'd. You could argue that it would pass again but how many people keep their cars in a state which would re-pass the SVA?

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

chrisg

posted on 13/12/03 at 11:01 PM Reply With Quote
So Andy would be happy.

Anybody else?

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

andyps

posted on 14/12/03 at 12:16 AM Reply With Quote
I'm happy with the original scenario you raised - not sure about the two pictures though as it maybe depends upon the motive etc. I'm not happy if it is done for "passing off" purposes.

[Edited on 14/12/03 by andyps]

Andy

MikeR

posted on 14/12/03 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
Folks, its my understand from reading this and other threads that legal proceedings are in the works. Can we all add lots of "allegedly" to our statements. Not sure if it really makes a difference but it could be fun!

The Caterham people got into a lot of bother when a company went bankrupt and comments where passed on blatchat. Even though they where bankrupt threats of libel writs where issued etc etc

P.S. If the aforementioned, alleged scenario was to happen allegedly to me in alleged real life, I suspect I might allegedly be very annoyed, allegedly, Once i'd got over my alleged annoyance I suspect I might be tempted to sue the alleged company involved, if it was allegedly true. Hypothetically speaking of course.....

Jon Ison

posted on 14/12/03 at 06:11 PM Reply With Quote
Mike, u made me when i read that ^^^

well, allegedly u made me anyhow.

chrisg

posted on 14/12/03 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Everything I have posted I believe to be true.

If I get sued I'd like to see them get any money out of me - I'm skint.

Alledgedly

I just feel sorry for Dave(Woodster)

Cheers

Chris

Note to all: I really don't know when to leave well alone. I tried to get clever with the mods, then when they gave me a lifeline to see the error of my ways, I tried to incite more trouble via u2u. So now I'm banned, never to return again. They should have done it years ago!

Peteff

posted on 14/12/03 at 08:40 PM Reply With Quote
Allegedly speaking.

I have said this before concerning the aforementioned allegations that the alleged matter is as previously purported to have been occasioned on this forum in a manner which is detrimental to the ongoing proceedings between the three affected parties and as such any further communications may be actuated in legalities appertaining to the conclusion of the judicial systems final deliberations on the eventual outcome. Any further allegations will result in the allegator being shot and made into shoes and handbags.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Dick Axtell

posted on 14/12/03 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
OI!! Nice Shoes!

Nice wun Pete. I do like those "shoes"

Dick

Work-in-Progress: Changed to Zetec + T9. Still trying!!

andyps

posted on 14/12/03 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
If I buy a crashed Indy (write-off), with, say, a Triumph engine in it, can I just build another car with a blade engine, not using any parts from the original car and transfer the number plates to the new car and thus avoid the SVA and registration?

What do you think?

Cheers

Chris

Where is the allegator in this question I thought I was answering an innocent what if situation. Apparently allegedly.

Andy

PeetBee

posted on 14/12/03 at 11:25 PM Reply With Quote
At least I don't have to worry about the legality of my comments, they were nothing to do with the original topic anyway!
chrisg

posted on 15/12/03 at 07:32 PM Reply With Quote
It's always good to be obscure Peet!

Cheers

Chris

Peteff

posted on 15/12/03 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's called legalese Chris, an obscure language used by people in suits to extract large amounts of money from an unsuspecting and far too trusting populace.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

chrisg

posted on 15/12/03 at 11:31 PM Reply With Quote
Trouble is Pete I like to call a spade a shovel......if you get my drift, alledgedly.

If something's wrong, then it's wrong.

Aledgedlly

Am I spelling that right?

Cheers

Chris

Deckman001

posted on 16/12/03 at 10:45 AM Reply With Quote
Don't the Police Traffic department deal with claims like this ? I thought they called the proven cases 'ringing' and dealt with them accordingly ?

Jason (confused)

timf

posted on 16/12/03 at 11:06 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisg
Woodster was sold the orange car as a "turnkey" by Sports Power Drive.

The fact that SPD bought the blue car and used NO parts from it to build the new car means that it's not re-chassisied.

It's a Ringer, bought for it's identity.

Woodsters car has never been SVA'd or legally registered. He has been driving the car illegally without knowing it. If he'd had an accident his insurance would have been invalid.
Alledgedly

[Edited on 14/12/03 by chrisg]

surely the v5 listed a previous owner
therfore should not be listed as a turnkey car in its self

James

posted on 16/12/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Be interesting to see if Trading Standards have anything to say on the matter.

It's breach of the sale of goods act if something's been sold under a false/misleading decription.

James

Peteff

posted on 16/12/03 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
Don't the Police Traffic department deal with claims like this

I always used to get a write off and re road it as cheap transport and it has never been a problem to put them back on the road. About five years ago the police started asking for the vehicle to be brought in for inspection but this was only an engine and chassis number check to notify you it has been a write off and only happens if the vehicle has been written off by an insurance company. If you crash it third party it doesn't get notified and you can sell it or repair it. If the process is bypassed and used to defraud someone then it is wrong, but if the buyer knew the history of the car it is a case of caveat emptor and should have been checked over by a qualified third party engineer before any agreement was made.Part of the car was obviously not fit for its intended purpose so something could be made of that but it would be easier to try to get the money for the repair than to try to prove that. Who is the aggrieved party in the case and how they pursue the matter is entirely up to them.

yours, Pete

yours, Pete

Deckman001

posted on 16/12/03 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Pete, did the guy buy it knowing it's history then ? or was it actually sold as a 'turn key ' 'New Car' ?
I don't know myself so am not making a jibe

Jason

JoelP

posted on 16/12/03 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
i dont think he suspected anything, and if it does indeed turn out to be a car of shady origin, then that is an issue for the courts i guess.

personally, i only intend to build one compliant car, and use its details on many others...

woodster

posted on 25/2/04 at 10:51 PM Reply With Quote

ChrisW

posted on 26/2/04 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
So what was the outcome of all this then? Or is it still going on?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
woodster

posted on 26/2/04 at 03:26 PM Reply With Quote
[Edited on 8/9/05 by woodster]
DavidM

posted on 26/2/04 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
Legalese, Trading Standards, Police, Courts?

May I suggest "Ringing" his F***ing neck!

Alledgedly of course.

ChrisW

posted on 27/2/04 at 09:33 AM Reply With Quote
Are they denying all knowledge of the (alleged) ringing? What about the (alleged) stupid prop shaft?

Chris

My gaff my rules

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Staple balls

posted on 27/2/04 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
yes

allegedly the aledged company is up for sale allegedly because they're allegedly emigrating allegedly for alleged family matters, not because of alleged issues with them being alleged toerags
<<  1    2    3    4  >>
New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.