Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Laser Eye Surgery?
Nosbod

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
Laser Eye Surgery?

I'm looking at having this done soon and wondered if anyone here has any experience with it?
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
Go and get it done, I know plenty of people who have now had it including friends and not one has had anything but stunning results. I'm currently trying to persuade (nag to death) my blind as a bat dad to go and get it done before he runs someone over with the car

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
kipper

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:18 AM Reply With Quote
eyes

I went on Wed for tests to see if I was compatable but was rejected as I have a lazy left Eye and the other was the wrong shape on the cornia.
I think the Lazy eye is spreading to the rest of my body.
My niece and a mate at work have had it done and they both say it's the best thing they have done.
Go for it
Regards Kipper...........AKA Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

MikeCapon

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:26 AM Reply With Quote
Another question. Does it work on long and short sightedness at the same time? Or is is like specs where the prescription is different?

I've been wearing specs for 5 years but I still get mad with them. They fall off when you've got your head upside down, just when you need to see what you're doing and the bloody lenses scratch up in no time. Oh, and my wife thinks I'm better looking without them

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
jimgiblett

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
I had mine done three years ago with Ultralase very happy with the results and the aftercare. Not the cheapest but I was worried about the bargain basement operators.

I havent experienced any of the night vision issues that some people refer to.

Lasik surgery has been about for over 20 years now and I am not aware of any long term issues.

- Jim

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
Another question. Does it work on long and short sightedness at the same time? Or is is like specs where the prescription is different?

how can you have long and short sightedness at the same time??? Is that physically possible?

NigeEss

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
Better results with short sight IIRC.

I had it done 5 years ago, fantastic result. Couldn't read any of the chart before now
every line.
No more steamed up/rained on glasses and even thing like wearing a skid lid and watching
tv in bed are transformed.
I chose to go with Ultralase, yes, the most expensive but also the most experienced.

Not painful, but a mildly uncomfotable process.
Be VERY meticulous with the aftercare as ths is where problems can arise.

Go for it, well worth it.

MikeCapon

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
[
how can you have long and short sightedness at the same time??? Is that physically possible?

Well put it his way. Close up, without my glasses I can see Foxtrot Alpha and at a distance without my glasses; same result. To start with it was just close up but over the last 5 years it's all gone to pot and I have to wear glasses with progressive lenses. Total PITA.

Edited to add: I cannot seem to get on with specs under a helmet either. They just move around all over the place. Before I stopped racing in 2004 I chose not to wear them under the helmet as the distraction was more of a pain than the blurry racetrack

[Edited on 11/7/08 by MikeCapon]

mr henderson

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeCapon
quote:
[

Well put it his way. Close up, without my glasses I can see Foxtrot Alpha and at a distance without my glasses; same result. To start with it was just close up but over the last 5 years it's all gone to pot and I have to wear glasses with progressive lenses. Total PITA.

Vast thread about this on Pistonheads. Might be worth a look

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?h=0&t=422661&hw=+%2Beye+%2Bsurgery&nmt=Laser%20Eye%20Surgery%20-%20my%20experiences

John

I'll put a link in later if I have time, got to go out now

[Edited on 11/7/08 by mr henderson]

02GF74

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:14 AM Reply With Quote
locost way is a sanding disc in a dremel.

search the forum and you will see this has come up before.

Guinness

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:45 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by 02GF74
locost way is a sanding disc in a dremel.

No that's going to sting a bit!

I wish I could afford to get mine done. I wear disposable contact lenses every day, for short sight, which costs me a about £20 a month.

I switched to contacts about 10 years ago and have never looked back

Mike

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Looked into this, would have definitely had it done if I'd have been suitable. With a correction well into double digit negative(!), just wasn't on. Very short sighted.
Middle age now means that the ability to ramp the eyeballs down to short focal lengths is waining....
I can still sight a corner on a track though, just as well as the yoof :-)

Mr Whippy

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
Well I’m defiantly getting it done when I need it, but thing is when would it best to get it done?? Since the way I see it (pun not intended) there is little point in getting done right away since my eye’s would presumably just get worse as I got older so surely I would have to wear glasses (I could not cope with contacts as I hate anything near my eye’s far less on them) till my eye’s were bad enough to justify the treatment? Does that make sense?? Currently my eye’s are 2 levels above 20/20 but going by my dads I could be like Mr Magoo in just 30 years! terrifying

ChrisW

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:28 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
(I could not cope with contacts as I hate anything near my eye’s far less on them)

I thought that too. Gave weekly disposables a go and couldn't get on with them at all, just uncomfortable all the time and too much faffing about with solutions and stuff.

Was convinced I was going to get them lasered.

Then got persuaded to have 'one last try' with contacts. Opted for dailies. After a week I was sold on them and have never considered the laser again. It gets quite expensive - £30 or so a month - but there are cheaper ways to do it. Once you have the prescription, and are confident you can get them in and out without any hassles, there are plenty of places that will sell you exactly the same product at about half the price of the subscription services offered in the High Street opticians.

Chris

DarrenW

posted on 11/7/08 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
Had mine done at Ultralese about 4 years ago. Brilliant, highly recommended.

Couldnt get away with contacts. Hate glasses.

I had an against the rule astigmatism too. Corrected no problem. Apperently my eyesight wasnt too bad and it was the astigmatism causing the bulk of the sight defect. Almost not enough to laser but it worked.

Very strange experience but its all over very quickly, i would say in a blink of an eye but thats not easy when your lids are clapmped back!!!! Dont worry about being clamped, they were contantly flushing eye with saline so you dont feel dry at all. I was amazed how quick it was. Took longer to be prepped before hand than the actual procedure.

liamb

posted on 11/7/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Would agree with above. Had it done 4 years ago and never regretted it.

Get it done!

RK

posted on 11/7/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
It was the 1 in 100 chance of blindness afterwards that turned me off that laser eye stuff. I've got better odds than that for finishing my car before summer's out.
Mr Whippy

posted on 11/7/08 at 05:22 PM Reply With Quote

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.