Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Suzuki TL1000R Engine?
smart1275gt

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:29 PM Reply With Quote
Suzuki TL1000R Engine?

I've heard lots of good news about this V engine, do you think it's a good idea to fit it into a car? The stock power is 135bhp but it's the way it puts it down with all that torque.

Comments appreciated.

Dangle_kt

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:35 PM Reply With Quote
not sure if it will need dry sumping if you change the orientation. If it does then it costs £££'s.

Worth finding out for sure before parting with any cash.

Also headers to suit the change in orientation might be pricey, because you can buy off the shelf headers for the more commen (blade, r1's etc.) engines.

TimC

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
The bike was a real widowmaker I think!

bigpig

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yep, something 4 people killed by the first TL1000S due to the under dampened rotory damper causing tank slappers. Fixed by a steering damper/revalve damper/replacing rear with monoshock.

Everyone I know who has had a TL1000 engine based bike says the power delivery at the bottom end is like an on off switch, delivering huge touque for a bike.

TimC

posted on 11/7/08 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
One forum user of yesteryear, Lenny, has a T1000 chop with a solid rear end in his shed... errr, no thanks.

r1_pete

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

The TL1000S was, but that was down to a rotary rear damper...

The TL1000R was a real hoot, stonking torque, a real wheelie monster.

Not sure about that motor in a car though, how about a Triumph Rocket 3 Motor, 2.3L triple, shaft drive too.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
froggy

posted on 11/7/08 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
prop drive it and you will have oil issues ,i run one in the back of my reliant kitten with a chain drive. a good early tl1000s engine with the right ecu will give 125hp and in a seven around the same performance as an early blade engine. ive caned mine with no mercy for nearly two years and its still going well.the downside is a lack of revs as you need to gear it right to get the performance but top speed is even more limited as you have to take the engine to 10k to crack a ton
BenB

posted on 11/7/08 at 09:08 PM Reply With Quote
I can confirm that a good slug of torque in a BEC is a good thing...... I'm hitting out at only 105Bhp but it's a big wide dollop of torque from 2k to 8.5k.... When I install my trumpets I'll probably get a few more BHP aswell, at the moment the airflow in the airbox is quite turbulent...
Coose

posted on 13/7/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
quote:
Originally posted by TimC

The TL1000S was, but that was down to a rotary rear damper...

The TL1000R was a real hoot, stonking torque, a real wheelie monster.

Not sure about that motor in a car though, how about a Triumph Rocket 3 Motor, 2.3L triple, shaft drive too.

The rotary damper actually wasn't that bad - it would just overheat if used in anger for a long period as it didn't contain enough oil. The real slapper issues were actually down to the rear wheel spindle - when tightened it would twist the swinging-arm and overtighten the chain! The easy fix was to pull out the spindle and push it in from the other side! (the source of this info is from a good friend of mine who races a 140rwbhp, 89rw lb.ft TL1100S and has a beast of a roadbike, and has probably owned at one point something like 10% of all of the TL1000Ss in the UK! (that may be a slight exaggeration... )

Spin 'er off Well...

MakeEverything

posted on 22/7/08 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got a TLR, and absolutely love it. Ive never had a prolem with 'slappers', but pulling away is a little exciting in the really wet.
If youre looking for a V-Twin to put in a car, then try the Aprilia RSV Mille engine. Its already a dry sump, and has as much power. I know this, because im planning it myself!! The only problem i can see, is transferring the power to an axle. How is this done, if maintaining the correct orientation of the engine still?

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

MakeEverything

posted on 22/7/08 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Oh, i forgot to mention, yes im looking at rear engined, rear wheel drive....

... Just to be different....

I see how the sprockets are an advantage, but its the axle im struggling with. It has to be home made to fall in line with my philosophy of being a tight arse. Also, how would you stop the chain from jumping off when the axle movs...?

Maybe a shaft drive is an option suddenly...

[Edited on 22/7/08 by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.