Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: springs
kipper

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:01 AM Reply With Quote
springs

Good morning you early risers.
I have just been out in the stuart taylor for a blat and once again have been very disapointed with the front suspension, IT'S TOO BLOODY HARD, It loosens my fillings.
Q... Is there anywhere I can buy springs on sale our return to find the best setup?
the fronts are on 300lbs springs, (crossflow engine). There used to be some-one who did this when I raced bikes.
Does anyone have any data for this car re suspension?
Now get out in your car while the sun is shining,.
Kipper, .............AKA, Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

nitram38

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
Are you sure it is your springs and not your shock settings?

DavidM

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:17 AM Reply With Quote
300 sounds too hard for a xflow car. Mine has 275's on the front and I'm about to change to 250's.
I had 175's on the back, but I recently changed those to 150's and it has transformed the ride.

David

Proportion is Everything

britishtrident

posted on 13/7/08 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
Westfield use 180 lb/in on the front with the xflo but this is likely to be too soft try say 220 lb/in --- however changing the front alone is likely to change the balance of the handling.

Making the front softer will rob grip from the rear = more oversteer.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

kipper

posted on 13/7/08 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
springs

Thanks for the feedback.
Nitram....I have tried backing off the the shock with no result, the shock does'nt get chance to work as the damper hardly moves.
Davidm....Yes that sounds about what I am thinking, I will buy some 275 to try.
British trident,......(anything to do with three cylinder bikes? ) The rear seems OK Just the front not compliant and won't follow the road surface, it bounces over the bumps and loses grip (Quite scary ).

Once again thanks for your input.
Regards Kipper.

Where did that go?
<<<<

procomp

posted on 13/7/08 at 02:01 PM Reply With Quote
Hi 300Lb springs is a little bit hard for the road use. But soft for track use. But the suspension should still have plenty of compliance with 300Lb fitted.

Either your dampers are set/valved way too hard on the bump Not surprising if they are. Or your front suspension is bound up and needs freeing off.

Jack the car up at the front so the wheels are clear of the ground. Remove the bottom bolt that holds the damper on too the lower wishbone. This should allow the suspension and wheel to be easily moved up and down with no/little resistance. If theres stiffness/resistance then the bushes need re doing and lubricating.

If the suspension dose move freely then it is going to be your dampers that are at fault either the settings are too high. Or if on ZERO clicks and they still do not allow movement then they are valved way too hard on the bump side of things.

HTH cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
rusty nuts

posted on 13/7/08 at 04:42 PM Reply With Quote
I have 300lbsprings on the front of my car and find since I attended to the crush tube/ bush binding problem I had the car is transformed. Do as procomp says and check the suspension is actually moving before doing anything else
kipper

posted on 13/7/08 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
springs

Hi Mat.
I think you may have hit the nail on the bonce. The car groans like me getting up in the morning. I will do as you sugest tomorrow and report back .
Thanks for all your help.
Denis.

Where did that go?
<<<<

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.