Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Elise parking
Aico

posted on 17/7/08 at 07:52 PM Reply With Quote
Elise parking

I know a few people here have or had an Elise. Do you have any difficulty getting out and in the car when parking between 2 other cars? If you parallel park you can swing the door wide open, but when you park side by side how do you get out? Is it possible with the roof in place?

StevieB

posted on 17/7/08 at 07:56 PM Reply With Quote
Elise ownership is like taking a long term course in yoga - the longer you own it, the easier it is to contort yourself out of it.

What you do need to be mindful of is that the doors are much thicker than normal cars and have quite a pointy corner, so hit the car nxt to you in the side and it'll leave quite a nasty dint. I know because a mate of mine did it when getting out of my forst elise and not thinking.

scootz

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I used to have an Exige. You kind of fall in and then fight to get out.

You do become better at it with practice!

Chicks love the car... until they have to get in and out of one and then they hate it!

Mr Whippy

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I used to have an Exige. You kind of fall in and then fight to get out.

You do become better at it with practice!

Chicks love the car... until they have to get in and out of one and then they hate it!

I had a ride in a Diablo (round a race track of all things), well thats like falling off a chair to get in, legs end up hanging out, as for seeing where your going fat chance slightest slope hmm yeah I can see just a dash and the sky , I actually crawled out

If your a tall long legged slinky girl with a tiny skirt and no shame then there fine, he he he

Fame is when your old car is plastered all over the internet

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Aico

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
When you hit the car next to you, where is the damage? Mainly on their car or yours?

I know getting in and out is a hassle and I've tryed it myself. The thing is I never tryed it with a car next to the Elise. Like you said the door is thicker so you need to open the door further than a normal car to create an opening. Besides this disadvantage it's also troublesome to get out of the seat. Is it possible to get out when you can't fully open the door?

scootz

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
It is, but it's a (literal) pain in the arse!
StevieB

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
part from taking the paint off your door, the elise will be fine. Other persons car will be pretty knacked though.

I use my elise almost daily and it's no problem. The driving experience more than makes up for the little quirks.

Delinquent

posted on 17/7/08 at 08:52 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by StevieBThe driving experience more than makes up for the little quirks.

LOL - no disagreement from the few times I've had a go in one, but I'm not sure I'd describe the entry and exit method as a "little quirk".

Fozzie

posted on 17/7/08 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Granted, it is a bit of a problem if other people park 'too close'.....but you get used to it.......

I can shimmy in and out of the car quite neatly and very quickly too!!!!!!

Fozzie

'Racing is Life!...anything before or after is just waiting'....Steve McQueen

joetait

posted on 17/7/08 at 09:22 PM Reply With Quote
If you can leave the roof off its much easier just to leave the door shut, window down and step in much like a 7.
I Used to have a Series-1 160 and I'm now thinking about going back to one. I think I'd be getting a series-2 then doing a K20A conversion to use as an everyday car. I can't really justify having 2 cars and 2 bikes anymore what with the expense of MOTs, Tax and maintenance.
(I know the series-1 is a better drivers car, but the series-2 is much easier to live with - better roof, easier to get in etc.)

J

RazMan

posted on 18/7/08 at 02:29 AM Reply With Quote
I had a whale of a time getting in and out during a wet weather test drive. If you are over six feet tall and 'less than slim' like me you will probably find a few friends with cameras lurking nearby.

With the roof on you fall in and fall out.

Cheers,
Raz

When thinking outside the box doesn't work any more, it's time to build a new box

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worX

posted on 18/7/08 at 05:00 AM Reply With Quote
Oh FFS, not again...

bimbleuk

posted on 18/7/08 at 07:38 AM Reply With Quote
I've had two in the past and never had any problems getting out even at 6'2" but then I always parked in the middle of two parking spaces!!
smart51

posted on 18/7/08 at 07:47 AM Reply With Quote
In my old job, we did work for lotus and borrowed a VX220 for some testing (workshop only sadly). The boss, a man fond of his food) tried to get in arse first with the roof still on the car. He got part way in and was completely wedged, sill - leg - chest - roof, with literally no room to breath. Gravity took its course and he finally got in but he stayed in the car until we all went away. Oh how we laughed.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.