Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Sierra Sapphire gearbox and engine type?
paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Sapphire gearbox and engine type?

Hi, another noob here but looking to start my build in the next month or so...

I have both the ron champion and chris gibbs books' and will be building the haynes roadster. In his book, gibbs has a couple of pages about the possible engines/gearbox types.

I've decided that I'd be happy with the ford cvh engine which he says comes with a type 9 gearbox and was mainly available as a 1.6 or 1.8. "There are relatively few tuning mods available for these engines but they're all suitable for unleaded fuel". Suited with that, since I'm not bothered about mental power and I'd just like to build a sports car on a budget

The next engine he mentions is the dohc 8v which is "tall and heavy" and "not very popular with tuners. The engine will be mated to the later mt75 gearbox."

I'd quite like to go with a sierra sapphire since there seems to be loads of them around without hundreds of thousands of miles on the clock - and also because they're the cvh type. So basically my questions is: Are all the sierra sapphires CVH with a type 9 box? or will some of them be the dohc with mt75?

The reason I ask is because the mt75 box is wider and requires some adjustments to the transmission tunnel to make it fit. I'd rather stick with the original plans in the book since this will be my first build and I'd hate to jump in at the deep end with transmission tunnel adjustments which aren't thoroughly outlined in the book.

If there are some sapphires with the dohc 8v/mt75 configuration - how do you tell them apart from the cvh/type-9 set up?

Thanks in advance & great forum! Paul w

Not sure if anyone else on the forums does this but once I get an answer to a question, I edit my initial post to save subsequent users trawling through the thread to find out the same info as I was looking for.

Posted by AdrianH on here:
One thing I used to tell the difference between the Type 9 and MT 75 check was to check where reverse gear is.

On the type 9 reverse is top left

On the MT75 it is bottom right

I have only heard of MT75 in 2.0 DOHC in the standard two wheel drive series. I THINK that all 4 wheel drive is MT75 with an add on for the 4 wheel drive

Adrian

Posted by LesG on Haynes Forums:
the easy peasey way ask where reverse is if it is by 1st its a type 9 if its not its an mt75 (defining answer )
and it goes like this
all sub 2.0Ls use a type 9
all 2.0Ls until 1989 after 89 they used an mt75
all 2.8Ls used a type 9
all 2.9Ls used an mt 75
( only relevant if not been converted of course )

Sierra Technical Info @ http://www.fordsierraclub.co.uk/

Hope this helps any future users looking for this info...

[Edited on 21/7/08 by paul the 6th]

[Edited on 21/7/08 by paul the 6th]

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
jollygreengiant

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sierra Saphire's would have come in all sorts of engine/gearbox combinations.

Just pick and mix from

1.6 / 1.8 / 2.0, pinto
1.6 / 1.8 cvh
2.0 Twin cam
2.0 cosworth
2.3 v6 (?)
2.3 Diesel

gearbox =
T9
MT75
& 4x4 versions of above.

Oh and welcome to the mad house.

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

Bigheppy

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
My 2L saphire has a pinto with type 9 1988 vintage
The haynes manual lists the CVH, Pinto and DOHC can be fitted

paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
oh for gods sake. (joking!) lol thanks for the quick replies guys.

I'm sure someone else on the roadster forums mentioned the pinto was used until late '88.

So the sapphire will most likely come in any 3 of those combo's. Are there any distinguishing body features which will make it obvious which is which? Looking on ebay and autotrader, it's difficult to get any sense out of some of the sellers (who are selling their mother's dog's brothers' friends car because they don't use it anymore).

Obviously flipping the bonnet would reveal a twin cam or otherwise, but when the prospective donor is 200 miles away in somerset, it's a bit more tricky trying to work out what's what

thanks for the advice so far!

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
RichardK

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
Think its down to cc was the easiest way to find out by asking the owner what cc it says on the v5,think 1998cc and 1993cc ring bells somewhere although I am in Portugal on my holidays and have been in the sun all day so those figures may not be accurate!
Mine was a saphirre and had a pinto in it,the saphire bit relates to a trim level or special edition.Hope this helps.Cheers Rich

Just noticed where you are,when you get going drop me a u2u I'd love to pop round for a nosey as I work in York,used to work just near the Ainsty pub but we relocted to Clifton Moor

[Edited on 20/7/08 by RichardK]

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Mr G

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
They never fitted the v6's to the saffs btw

Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a
car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes
and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 04:58 PM Reply With Quote
jackpot - that's the kind of info I'm after, something simple along those lines which help sort the cvh from the dohc

If anyone could clarify/confirm this I'd be properly grateful! Also, I was aware of sapphire= trim level. They seem to be popular with the ladies. There's plenty of well looked after examples for sale Not too fussed about tune-ability or specific bits such as xr4's etc. Just want to build it close to the book so I don't come too far unstuck.

How do richard, I've only just signed upto the site today (although I'd had a quick browse in the past as an unregisterred user). I've been reading the book for about 6 months and have finally decided to take the plunge. Haven't even bought any kit yet, I've got a few tools from basic motorbike maintainance i.e. an angle grinder and 2 sets of sockets.

I'd love to have a nosey around your project one day if that'd be possible? Just to help give me an idea of the triumph and heartache involved lol. I've only just moved to york at the start of may this year. I lived in west yorkshire all my before that (mirfield to be precise).

Are there many locosters/roadsters/builder in and around our area? If so, do you have any meetings?

thanks in advance, Paul w (in switzerland til the 28th of July... drove down in my 55 plate mondeo... next time i'm coming in the roadster! the roads are immense!)

[Edited on 20/7/08 by paul the 6th]

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

RichardK

posted on 20/7/08 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
I'll u2u my details when I'm back from my jollies,think there are 3 or 4 builders in York alone!Cheers Rich

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Werner Van Loock

posted on 20/7/08 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
according to haynes manual

pinto: 1796cc
cvh: 1769cc

pinto2L: 1993cc
DOHC 8v: 1998cc (wikipedia)

hope it helps

[Edited on 20/7/08 by Werner Van Loock]

http://www.clubstylus.be

snapper

posted on 20/7/08 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
You really really need to go to some kit car shows and have a really good look at the club cars. don';t be afraid to ask loads of questions.
It will save you thousands of pounds and many hours of work if you do the prep NOW

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

DRC INDY 7

posted on 20/7/08 at 07:17 PM Reply With Quote
The pinto engine was fitted up to the last in 1992 mine is from a june 1992 model year

https://www.facebook.com/groups/462610273778799/

Puddle Dodgers Club

paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
You really really need to go to some kit car shows and have a really good look at the club cars. don';t be afraid to ask loads of questions.
It will save you thousands of pounds and many hours of work if you do the prep NOW

Thanks for the tip matey - I've just missed stoneleigh and as I mentioned earlier I'm not back in the UK til the 28th july. Are there any other big/decent shows worth attending?

I'll definitely take up richard k's offer (and anyone elses in the local area for that matter) of having a poke around his project as I know this isn't a casual part time hobby. It's a massive undertaking and could quite easily be ditched half way through, but I'm determined see it through.

Asside from the engine/gearbox choice, what other questions should I be asking/tricky bits I should be aware of?

I've got a good all round idea of things like the sva and how strict they are, potential areas which could cost you dearly if you muck up, and the need for defining your vision early on i.e. windscreen (and all associated heating/wipers/blowers etc) or no windscreen?

Basically, What would you like to have known before you started your build? What did you find out the hard way?

--------

AdrianH

posted on 20/7/08 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
One thing I used to tell the difference between the Type 9 and MT 75 check was to check where reverse gear is.

I have only heard of MT75 in 2.0 DOHC in the standard two wheel drive series. I THINK that all 4 wheel drive is MT75 with an add on for the 4 wheel drive

Adrian

Why do I have to make the tools to finish the job? More time then money.

paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AdrianH

Adrian

Adrian, Absolute legend. Thanks for this matey! I've just ordered my haynes sierra manual which should also help the gearbox trick should help in the meantime

--------

austin man

posted on 20/7/08 at 08:36 PM Reply With Quote
people seem to worry abot the tunnel width I have made a chasis which is 4 inches wider than a standard locos and have also reduces the width id the tunnel wher the prop runs fiving me possible anther 2inch in the interior I would sugges to any one its worth looking at as it alsows wider seate to be fitted, I have covered 5k with no problems with the prop deflecting
paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
people seem to worry abot the tunnel width I have made a chasis which is 4 inches wider than a standard locos and have also reduces the width id the tunnel wher the prop runs fiving me possible anther 2inch in the interior I would sugges to any one its worth looking at as it alsows wider seate to be fitted, I have covered 5k with no problems with the prop deflecting

Fair point, I think if I'd done a restoration project or built something else before this, I'd be happy enough changing dimensions and dropping bits out, but since I've never done anything like this before I can guarantee I'd probably end up lopping an integral part of the chassis structure, either that or I'd make a right nutsack of it

--------

paul the 6th

posted on 20/7/08 at 10:59 PM Reply With Quote
just for anyone else looking for the same info as I was, another member on the roadster forums posted this:

hi paul
sierra owners club has definitive lists of the specs. of all sierras
and the easy peasey way ask where reverse is if it is by 1st its a type 9 if its not its an mt75 (defining answer )
and it goes like this
all sub 2.0Ls use a type 9
all 2.0Ls until 1989 after 89 they used an mt75
all 2.8Ls used a type 9
( only relevant if not been converted of course )

--------

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.