Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: MK Indy Chassis drawings
jcduroc

posted on 18/12/03 at 07:54 PM Reply With Quote
MK Indy Chassis drawings

Hi

I'm starting (well, I just got the tubes delivered) an IRS build of my own design and I'd like to see some drawings of the Indy with all the dimensions (the Build Manual has nono...)
Anyone can help?

Cheers
Joćo

JCM

Peteff

posted on 18/12/03 at 08:07 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think they do drawings, they just make it up as they go along, a bit like the rest of us .

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 18/12/03 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
probably so no one copies it!!!
Mk-Ninja

posted on 18/12/03 at 09:06 PM Reply With Quote
I can send you an MK order form if you want one.

I'm sure I've got one, just don't know where I've put it

jcduroc

posted on 19/12/03 at 12:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mk-Ninja
I can send you an MK order form if you want one.

I thought we were serious about "Lo(w)costing" here...

Joćo

JCM

timf

posted on 19/12/03 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
the mk 'ers are very loyal and wont give out any dimensions at all.
Mk-Ninja

posted on 19/12/03 at 08:51 AM Reply With Quote
Yes we are, and there are lots of designs out there which you can buy for not a lot.
You say you have your own design, so why do you want ALL the dimensions of the Indy.
This forum is to share ideas, and keep the cost down. I hope its not to copy manufacturers designs especially friendly ones, on which they make there living.

Gordon

nick205

posted on 19/12/03 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
MK make a living from this Joao,

They are trading their considerable knowledge and skills with those of us who don't have them for money. I don't think there are many MK'ers who will share details of their chassis.

Don't be cross with people for being loyal to a good company!

There are IRS chassis designs available elsewhere or you could look at the Tiger Avon book which contians plans for building and IRS car.

HTH

Nick

ned

posted on 19/12/03 at 10:21 AM Reply With Quote
ditto nick205, get a copy of the tiger avon book. i know kingr has grafted the tiger avon rear to an rc book chassis.

Ned.

beware, I've got yellow skin

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Hellfire

posted on 19/12/03 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
We could have some fun with the measurements here guys and see what he ends up with

nick205

posted on 19/12/03 at 12:27 PM Reply With Quote
Indeed having just taken some rudimentary measurements of my chassis I have the following dimensions as a guide.

overall length = 4 barleycorns
height = a little bit less
width = how big is ya arse!

Can anyone assist with suspension details???

Nick

Noodle

posted on 19/12/03 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
I don't think you chaps are being fair. I can't imagine Joao wants to set up a commercial enterprise rivaling MK. Mr. Champions original plans weren't exactly 'unique' were they?

All manufacturers inspect each others vehicles to see what makes them go, and how they go.

I think Joao's request is perfectly valid. I just don't have the answers

Cheers,

Neil

JoelP

posted on 19/12/03 at 01:55 PM Reply With Quote
i usually measure of photos if i like a chassis plan, so its just 'inspired by' rather than 'copied off'.
Mk-Ninja

posted on 19/12/03 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sorry Noodle, but I cant agree with you.
Ron Champion has made a lot of money selling his book, other people have sold alternative designs. I would have thought if MK wanted to sell there designs then they could make money that way, but have stuck with manufacturing, and as such I dont think it is correct to expect MK customers to measure up their chassis for somebody to copy.
I know that all sorts of manufacturers look at their competitors to improve their equipement where possible, But they dont blatently anounce that they have the base materials and would like the complete dimensioned drawings.
Im sorry if it comes over a bit harsh, but I think that if you appreciate the efforts of a good supplier you shoud support them, and not stab them in the back.

Gordon

Noodle

posted on 19/12/03 at 02:57 PM Reply With Quote
Fair enough Ninja, but I hardly think knowing the dimensions of a chassis is tantamount to commercial back-stabbing.

I don't think you've taken Joao's (assumed honourable) motives into account.

Cheers,

Neil.

[Edited on 19/12/03 by Noodle]

nick205

posted on 19/12/03 at 03:00 PM Reply With Quote
Correct-amundo Ninja!

I think this has been a fair response to the question asked.

A better question might be along the lines of....

Does anyone know of detailed/dimensioned plans available for an IRS locost chassis?

To which the answers would have been rather more helpful I suspect.

Of course this is my personal opinion.

Nick

jcduroc

posted on 19/12/03 at 05:28 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Noodle
Fair enough Ninja, but I hardly think knowing the dimensions of a chassis is tantamount to commercial back-stabbing.

I don't think you've taken Joao's (assumed honourable) motives into account.

Cheers,

Neil.

[Edited on 19/12/03 by Noodle]

Neil

Thank you very much for your pondering words.
I've been participating in this forum for nearly 2 years during which I shared my opinions, gave some (very humble) advice and lauched a few discussion points. Aside from some "very British" jokes I always found this forum a very enjoyable and friendly one. It is with great surprise, not to say astonishement, that I read the replies to my post.
I am building an IRS Locost OF MY OWN DESIGN. Obviously I read RC's book as well as Avon's one (and some others a few decades ago when I built Formulae Vee, Ford and 3 cars).
It so happens that I live in an appartment (as 95% of us do in Portugal) and have no garage building facilities so I'll be doing it at the auto workshop where I usually go with my Peugeot. This will be a sort of trade-off: I may use the facilities and I'll "teach" the owner how to build one.
Now, my question about drawings/dimensions is simply because, as in any design which is bound in a certain way (as this is, after all we're all making something similar os inspired by a Lotus 7) we all (yes, all, RC, Dudley, John Barnard, Gerard Ducarouge, etc... all) do look at everybody else's designs.
Do those who unfriendly attacked my request think that RC or MK did not copy anything from anyone else? And even so their designs are not what should be considered "state of the art"!...
This only makes me wonder wether I should keep posting my ideas, thoughts and doubts to this forum.

Cheers all
Joćo

JCM

RoadkillUK

posted on 19/12/03 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
Joćo, if I had an Indy I'd gladly post the dimensions.
I can't think of a good reason why anyone would take offence other than MK himself, I though the forum was here to help each other.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 21/12/03 at 09:16 PM Reply With Quote
[quoteI know that all sorts of manufacturers look at their competitors to improve their equipement where possible, But they dont blatently anounce that they have the base materials and would like the complete dimensioned drawings.

I read recently that Porsche wanted to compare their forthcoming Carrera GT with the Ferrari Enzo. They got in touch with Ferrari who agreed to lend them an Enzo for a week, in return for which Porsche will lend Ferrari a GT when there is a production one available. I suspect their will be much use made of tape measures during those two weeks.

Maybe MK should sell plans as well as build chassis - it works well enough for Avon who probably sell lots of wishbones etc. to people making their own chassis to the book dimensions.

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

Spottty

posted on 21/12/03 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
Well, another thing to look at is the avalibility of the product.

I would love to just buy a kit from MK or Luego but it would cost me a ton for shipping! SO making one myself is abit easyier.

Next time I am in the UK I will be heading to the MK factory and have a look see at a car in person.

Best thing to do for a build....
Ditch the wife!

Mark Allanson

posted on 21/12/03 at 11:13 PM Reply With Quote
Joćo,

I am building a book chassis so I cannot help you with the dimensions you need. From what I have heard from everyone, Martin Keenan is a really decent guy - try asking him, explain your position, then no one would object if the man himself is prepared to help. Whats the worst that could happen - he may say no, but then again he may help

Mark

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

RichyMkIndy

posted on 23/12/03 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
the MK is pretty much the same as RC's design isnt it apart from the rear suspension, bulk head and maybe slightly different front suspesion

i think you would be able to make an RC chassis then use photos from here to measure to do the rear suspension

I think people also dont wanna give out their dimensions too becuase i feel that i paid good money for the design and therefore it justifyies my payment. i wanted to have a better chassis (IRS) than the RC chasis so thats why i chose the indy

it doesnt seem fair when i paid the big sum for my chassis and by copying it someone could make it for peanuts

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.