Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: why use endplates??
thommy2

posted on 22/12/03 at 01:23 PM Reply With Quote
why use endplates??

Why does everybody weld in plates at the end of the tubes, why not saw it off at the right angle.

a 90 degree becomes 2x45 degrees. It's much easier, nicer, stiffer and faster

JoelP

posted on 22/12/03 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
something to do with planning i suspect. Had i planed, i would've done all the joins mitred, as it was it was only at the end i realised it was crap.

still, its not too hard to weld squares on.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

rabiddog

posted on 22/12/03 at 09:26 PM Reply With Quote
One of the problems with mitred corners is absolute critical need to be accurate with them, if they are only 1/2 a degree out they wont be square its okay if the inside is slightly undercut but get it over cut and it wont meet, very time consuming also.

Trust me on this one, Im a joiner and often have to cut them in wood, enough said

Craig

Mmmmmmmm......beer....aaaaarrrrrggggghhh

thommy2

posted on 22/12/03 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
well, I am using mitred corners. It look much nicerand is a lot stronger.

thereby I can use the CNC saw, so accuracy wont be a problem

Peteff

posted on 23/12/03 at 12:21 AM Reply With Quote
I can't think of that many places on a chassis where you will need to mitre a joint. In fact I can't think of any only the square bit of the base that forms the seating area. You could make that out of one length of steel but it wouldn't achieve that much in terms of adding strength, just complicate it.

yours, Pete.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

thommy2

posted on 26/12/03 at 04:17 PM Reply With Quote
well, you can use it in any corner. eg 45 degrees becomes two times 67.5 degrees

formula: 90-(corner you need/2)

so 90-(45/2) equals 67.5

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/12/03 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
Mitres are fine for tree wood, but not for welded joints, they are weaker, have a massive potential for distortion, and start getting a little difficult when you have 3 dimenional joints.

If you want closed ends but dont want to use end plates, use double stepped joints, awkward to make but stronger than straight butts.

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

thommy2

posted on 26/12/03 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Can you explain what a double stepped joint is. I am not english, so i don't get the words.

Thereby I think that mitres are stronger, but I have to do a stress analysis on that. I will show the results

Mark Allanson

posted on 26/12/03 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
This diagram shows, you increase the welded area and reduce the tendancy to distort Rescued attachment Not Mitres.GIF
Rescued attachment Not Mitres.GIF

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

thommy2

posted on 28/12/03 at 06:00 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I get it, can be done at a 90 degree corner. But it would be hard to do so at any other one.
blueshift

posted on 28/12/03 at 06:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see that it would be that much harder. You just have to make an angled cut through three sides of a tube rather than a perpendicular one. Not significantly harder than the cuts for a mitre, I'd think.

Before you start cutting the tunnel the only tubes that I can see that would benefit from mitres are B1, V and the L assembly, though if you did LC the corners might interfere with the nosecone. Be nice if V were mitred in terms of flat sides to weld the round tube onto and bend the ali round, but I heed Mark's words of wisdom.

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.