Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: VW / Audi Gearbox Linkages
scootz

posted on 8/8/08 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
VW / Audi Gearbox Linkages

I'm using the 01X transaxle from a front wheel drive Audi in my mid-engined rear wheel drive car.

Everything's going fine, but I'm getting to the stage where I have to start considering my linkage.

I have the linkage / shift-stick assembly for the box, but obviously everything will need to be reversed for my application.

Has anyone done this that can offer some tips?

Here's a couple of pics of the linkage in its normal configuration... is it simply a case of employing new rod lengths and shaping them to travel round either side of the engine?

Normal Configuration

Close Up

Fred W B

posted on 8/8/08 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
this may help

Cheers

Fred W B

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

mr henderson

posted on 9/8/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I've been thinking about this subject a lot, especially as if a solution can be found it will be of use in my next buggy project. This is where I've got to so far-

The key to the solution lies in the gear change lever and housing. I am thinking along the lines of constructing a new unit which would be applicable to virtually any remote gear changing situation, and which would operate by means of cables.

A conventional gear change mechanism produces two motions, side to side and backwards/forwards. This information could be converyed to the gearbox by two bowden cables, and converted there into whatever motion was required.

The gearchange lever and housing could have a gate CNC cut into the top of the box, through which the gear lever would protrude. The two control motions could be transferred to the cables by bell cranks, the lengths of which could be varied to suit the motion required at the gearbox.

The visible gate would be useful, and it would be easy to incorporate a reverse detent

I can see it in my mind's eye, but the attempts I have made so far at sketches have not been so good.

John

TheGecko

posted on 10/8/08 at 01:16 AM Reply With Quote
What, like this unit from http://www.renegadehybrids.com/?

mr henderson

posted on 10/8/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TheGecko
What, like this unit from http://www.renegadehybrids.com/?

Well, not really. The general idea is the same, but I was thinking of a more universally applicable mechanism, plus something with a visible gate (such as one might see in a Ferrari, for instance) and something that didn't cost $800 plus the carriage, VAT and import duty.

The unit shown is too specific, and too expensive.

John

scootz

posted on 10/8/08 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
I like the look of that, but agree on the price!

Anyhoo... getting back to the original question (ahem!) - what doth the masses think about reversing the assembly in the picture (obviously with re-shaped / lengthened rods)?

I only ask as the gear-shifter unit cost £30 and it's OEM

mr henderson

posted on 10/8/08 at 03:17 PM Reply With Quote
Right, I've been thinking about this some more, and have come up with the definitive locost solution

So, for the application in question-

Find a reasonably modern front wheel drive car with the same shift pattern as the Audi box, but with cable change (lots of cars have these, Mondeos, Audi transverse FWD)

Then, get the shifter from such a car and see if it can be set up so the cables exit the back of the shifter rather than the front. If not, which is likely, then you will need to make a reversing unit which can be done with a couple of 180 bellcranks.

The specially made cables can then be run back to the gearbox (right hand gear change feasible this way) and the cables can terminate at brackets mounted on the gearbox, and the correct motion can then be appied to the selectors by fitting new bellcranks or terminations as required (I don't know what's required for that box, but once the control movement is present at the cable end it can be converted to whatever is needed)

John

Syd Bridge

posted on 10/8/08 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Morse Cables, the people who make the push pull cables, used to sell a gearchange setup just like the one in the pic. Originally used in roadgoing GT40's, way back when, and adapted by a couple of big names makers over recent times.

Don't know if they still do though.

Cheers,
Syd.

Kaspa

posted on 11/8/08 at 04:29 AM Reply With Quote
Scootz, morse cable work ok but dont give you the feel of a direct linkage. you can use the system i have on my subby box , it has been used on Audi boxes before and is very simple to make

cheers Kaspa

understeer= when you hit the wall front first
oversteer=when you hit the wall back first
HP= how fast you hit the wall
Torque= how far the wall moves when you hit it

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 11/8/08 at 06:50 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaspa
Scootz, morse cable work ok but dont give you the feel of a direct linkage. you can use the system i have on my subby box , it has been used on Audi boxes before and is very simple to make

cheers Kaspa

Did you mean to provide some details?

John

Kaspa

posted on 11/8/08 at 08:40 AM Reply With Quote
My dear sir all you have to do is ask, although if you look at the pic its all prety self explanetry.
its just a rod mounted on a spherical bearing at the front with a tube slidig over it controled by the lever to give fore and aft movement , and it swivels on its own axis on the forward rod. the conection to the trans would be a simple lever with the control rod mounted firmly in a bearing to allow forward ,aft movement and rotation.
have a look here to how i have done it with the subby box
http://s236.photobucket.com/albums/ff257/stryka_01/Stanton%20WRC-95/

cheers kaspa

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mr henderson

posted on 11/8/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kaspa
My dear sir all you have to do is ask, although if you look at the pic its all prety self explanetry.

Well Scootz's problem is that the selector on his Audi box is on the side, and the left hand side at that, (you can see it in the self explanatory picture he linked to) not at the back as in yours.

I assume he want his car to be right hand drive, so I would be interested indeed to see how your system could be utilised in his case.

By no means am I saying it can't be done, but perhaps there's a reason why cables are normally used?

John

scootz

posted on 11/8/08 at 12:41 PM Reply With Quote
Right... I'm heading out to the garage to conduct an experiment... I may be some time!
scootz

posted on 11/8/08 at 04:27 PM Reply With Quote
Phew... back again (and I only lost the one eye!).

I should be able to use a single rod linkage similar to Kaspa's in the cockpit, together with the (modified) ball-joint set up at the gearbox-end.

Will hopefully have done a mock-up by the end of the week and will post some pics!

Kaspa

posted on 11/8/08 at 06:36 PM Reply With Quote
Scootz if yo have a look at some of the threads on GT40s.com forum youll see how the same system is used on there cars, with the lever in both center and side position, on Audi boxes.its real easy to do.
cheers Kaspa

scootz

posted on 11/8/08 at 06:39 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers... I basically aim to turn the ball joint assembly upside down and back to front!
Kaspa

posted on 12/8/08 at 04:37 AM Reply With Quote
Your onto it, if you want some pics of the lever arrangement, ill pull it apart on the weekend and take some pics for you, its only 3 peices.
cheers Kaspa

mr henderson

posted on 13/8/08 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
Phew... back again (and I only lost the one eye!).

I should be able to use a single rod linkage similar to Kaspa's in the cockpit, together with the (modified) ball-joint set up at the gearbox-end.

Will hopefully have done a mock-up by the end of the week and will post some pics!

I'm really looking forward to seeing those pics. Maybe if I had the bits in my hand I would be able to see how this was going to work. What side of the car is the gear lever going to be?

John

scootz

posted on 13/8/08 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
Will be running it centrally Mr H.
TheGecko

posted on 13/8/08 at 12:43 PM Reply With Quote
To add some variety to the discussion, here's a pair of Lotus shifters - a Lotus 18 and a 30 respectively.

Hope this is helpful,

Dominic

mr henderson

posted on 13/8/08 at 12:51 PM Reply With Quote
It's not the shifter that's the problem, it's transferring the motion the shifter generates to the selector on the gearbox.

Now it would be good if Scootz would confirm this, but it seems to me that the selector on the gearbox is on the left hand side and enters the gearbox at right angles to the centreline of the car.

What I am trying to 'get my head round' is how that gearchange motion can be transferred to the gearbox selector using rods, and especially from a position in the middle of the car. Now I am sure that doing such a thing is possible, for instance bicycles from many years ago had rod brake linkages to the front wheel, but I look forward to seeing how it can be done in this case more simply than by using cables.

John

scootz

posted on 13/8/08 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr hendersonNow it would be good if Scootz would confirm this, but it seems to me that the selector on the gearbox is on the left hand side and enters the gearbox at right angles to the centreline of the car.

It does indeed.

scootz

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:16 PM Reply With Quote
This PIC HERE may help out... it's the 'ball-joint' that attached to the gear actuator (box end).

The D-shaped section is attached to the bottom of the ball joint and slides onto the actuator.

The rod is attached to the top side of the ball joint.

Basically, whenever you push /pull the rod, it turns the actuator in that direction. If you twist the rod, the actuator will move side to side.

It's just a case of joining rods that lead to the gearstick with steering-type joints, so that there can be some changes in direction / elevation.

Essentially, whatever movement you make on the gearstick 'rod', it is replicated at the ball-joint end.

Hope this makes sense (not sure that it does... ).

mr henderson

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz

Hope this makes sense (not sure that it does... ).

Yes it does make sense, thanks. How will you keep the intermediate rods lined up? Will the gearbox be solidly mounted to the chassis? and will you use the Audi shifter or make a new one?

John

Fred W B

posted on 13/8/08 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Henderson - The pics in the thread I linked to in the second post on this thred may help.

basically moving the gearlever left right moves the selector in and out of the box, while forward / aft is obvious.

This is development rough work, the real thing will be much neater

Cheers

Fred W B

links rear
links rear

[Edited on 13/8/08 by Fred W B]

[Edited on 13/8/08 by Fred W B]

You can do it quickly. You can do it cheap. You can do it right. – Pick any two.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.