Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: TIG help! Burning through tungstens
chrisf

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
TIG help! Burning through tungstens

Hi Gents:

I spent the afternoon having a go with the TIG on some scrap. Well, not really. I spent the afternoon sharpening tungstens. What is happening is I'll dip into the pedal and get a cold electric arc, then a regular arc as a puddle begins to form after about 2 seconds. Then, my freshly sharpened tungsten glows red, then dulls completly, round off a nice ball at the end. Sometimes it melts up into the cup! Increading the heat will make the tungsten DRIP into the puddle.

Here are the specs:

3/32 and 1/6th 2% thoriated tungsten
DC mode
2-stroke high frequency w/ pedal control
torch connected to negative, clamp connected to positive
100% argon
AC balance set to the middle (50%), though I don't think it matters for DC
Start current at 50%, though I'm using the pedal; it doesn't matter though. The tungsten melted it the start current was set to min
Weld current at 120amps
downslope set to 5
post flow set to 2

The workpiece is a 1/16" piece of mild steel. I'm not using any filler. I'm just trying to get a puddle going and control it with the torch. Any suggestions on how to keep tungsten alive longer? These are rather expensive and I'm burning (literally) through them. It's almost like a machine setting is wrong.

Oh, it is an ESAB Heliarc 161 inverter-based AC/DC TIG.

--Thanks, Chris

[Edited on 10/8/08 by chrisf]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
madteg

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Have you got the polarity the right way round, the earth should be in the positve on the set. kev.
Triton

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:21 PM Reply With Quote
you sure you are not using tungstens for ali welding ?

My Daughter has taken over production of the damn fine Triton race seats and her contact email is emmatrs@live.co.uk.

www.tritonraceseats.com

www.hairyhedgehog.com

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Peteff

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:23 PM Reply With Quote
2 seconds pre flow? That sounds low try upping it so the gas gets to the torch before you arc up.
Sorry that's your post flow, you don't mention pre flow. What pre flow are you using?

[Edited on 10/8/08 by Peteff]

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mark chandler

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:39 PM Reply With Quote
Negative torch correct so to much current or not enough gas.

1/6" should weld much lower than 120amps, crank it right down.

chrisf

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:52 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks gents, you're right: the polarity was off. The preflow is set at the gun, right? When the machine starts, two seconds or so of gas flows, even though I didn't hit the pedal.

I have pure tungstens for the ali, which I haven't tried. I'm just having a go with the mild steel.

After switching the polartity, the arc fires right up and a nice puddle forms. I like how easy it is to control. I even played around with dipping filler rod, but all I had was .020" mig wire, which seemd quite small.

But most importantly, with the ground connected to the workpiece and my wrist resting on it as well, I shocked the sh_t out of myself when I blew a hole though the material. Is it common to get a shock whilst TIGing?

I should mention no gloves were worn on the torch hand because it is in a cast.

--Thanks, Chris

aerosam

posted on 10/8/08 at 09:55 PM Reply With Quote
i'd turn you current down to about 60 amps and press and release your trigger a couple of times before you start up, allowing the post flow timer to feed argon all the way through the system to the torch. Also make sure your gas regulator is turned up high enough.
10X

posted on 10/8/08 at 11:48 PM Reply With Quote
I have found this web site very useful when trying to setup for a new process.

http://www.millerwelds.com/education/calculators/tig_amperage_calculator.php

aerosam

posted on 11/8/08 at 04:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by chrisf
I shocked the sh_t out of myself when I blew a hole though the material. Is it common to get a shock whilst TIGing?

I should mention no gloves were worn on the torch hand because it is in a cast.

It's not that uncommon to get a shock - hurts too doesn't it? It is bets to wear gloves as they will protect against shocks and a really nasty sunburn you WILL get as your hands are so close to the arc.

Personally I wear cut resistant gloves, they are neoprene coated cotton so they give some protection against the elecricity, heat and of course UV.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.