Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: CAD?
omega0684

posted on 11/8/08 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
CAD?

how do i get a copy of CAD, asked a mate who is an architect and he said that you have to have a licence to run it on your computer. and it can cost up to £10,000. then he confused me with this blah blaah blah talk!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
loggyboy

posted on 11/8/08 at 11:09 AM Reply With Quote
It depends on what CAD software you need/want.
AutoCAD by AUtodesk is pretty much the industry standard and a single use licesne for the basic package is about £700. You can get student/educational versions that have a 12-14month time limit which are about £60.
Alternatively there are more budget concious software such as Turbocad, and some are even free downloads.
Ive only used Autocad so not sure how any compare.
Google Sketch up is a good place to start for 3d imaging though. Ive used that alot over last year and its VERY easy to learn. Its also FREE!

Other options are to dig around for a dodgy version of autocad or similar which you can find if you know where to look or know someone who knows someone whoes mates uncle is a bit wooo and a bit waaah

Mistral Motorsport

turbodisplay

posted on 11/8/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
2nd turbocad V12.
Got from ebay for about £30.
Excellent and will export to autocad .dxf format.
Darren

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nosbod

posted on 11/8/08 at 11:39 AM Reply With Quote
Try this one - and its free. A 2D CAD package very similar to Autocad.

A9CAD

Chris.

greggors84

posted on 11/8/08 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
If you want it for just 2D for diagrams and plans etc, then AutoCad is fine.

For 3D work then SolidWorks or ProEngineer (ProE) are alot better (IMO). Depends what you need it for. If you use SolidWorks then you can use Cosmos to relatively easily perform FEA on it (if you know what your doing!)

Most CAD packages can be found on the internet if you look in the right places, £10,000 licenses are only for business use usually. In the Automotive industry Catia is generally the standard and I managed to get my hands on a copy of that.

Chris

The Magnificent 7!

richmars

posted on 11/8/08 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

Most CAD packages can be found on the internet if you look in the right places, £10,000 licenses are only for business use usually. In the Automotive industry Catia is generally the standard and I managed to get my hands on a copy of that.

Not really. Everyone needs a license, not just business.
Unless you steal.

loggyboy

posted on 12/8/08 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richmars
quote:
Originally posted by greggors84

Not really. Everyone needs a license, not just business.
Unless you steal.

I think he ment the £10,000 lisenses his friend mentioned would be for businsess only.
Although that figure is missleading as its completely dependent on how many licences you need, its certainly no where near £10k each!!!

[Edited on 12/8/08 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.