Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: What length dampers?
worcestersauce

posted on 11/8/08 at 08:06 PM Reply With Quote
What length dampers?

Hi, I have just finalised my engine choice for my Indy (03 R1) and want to start looking at the best option for damper lengths and spring rates all round. The car will probably spend more time on track than road, but what would be a good starting point? 13" open 9" closed seem popular. Also, does the Mk use a Sierra steering rack, and does it need modification?
MikeCapon

posted on 12/8/08 at 10:11 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

At the point of writing this 114 people had read your post and no-one had replied. That's because no-one knows the answer to your question.

As you have a standard chassis the chassis designer (MK) should be able to tell you what open and closed length you need.

If you cannot get an answer from the designer then you need to measure; full droop = open length / full bump = closed length.

Don't just choose a shock length because it is popular. What is most common isn't always the best choice.
Lot's of people drive Novas with glued on body kits, wear Burberry caps and voted for your current government.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
worcestersauce

posted on 12/8/08 at 06:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, Thanks for your reply. You are correct that MK should be the first point of contact. I see various brands (AVO, GAZ, Spax) for sale, and wanted to get some opinion on the options available, and get some of the appropriate length.
Andy

mackei23b

posted on 14/8/08 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, Im sure I used 9" and 13" as recommended by MK. I used GAZ dampers and got the valving and springs to suit a 7 type car.

Cheers

Ian

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.