Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Linux help?
caber

posted on 12/8/08 at 07:00 PM Reply With Quote
Linux help?

On the basis that this forum is the fnt of all knowledge I have bought an Asus EEEPC that runs Linux. I have installed EEEBuntu which is s sort of optimized Ubuntu for the EEE, it has Compiz fusion and AWN and I could really use a link to a site that can explain or document these features. If all the above is nonsense to you don't worry and I am sorry I wasted your time!

Caber

the_fbi

posted on 12/8/08 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by caber
On the basis that this forum is the fnt of all knowledge I have bought an Asus EEEPC that runs Linux. I have installed EEEBuntu which is s sort of optimized Ubuntu for the EEE, it has Compiz fusion and AWN and I could really use a link to a site that can explain or document these features. If all the above is nonsense to you don't worry and I am sorry I wasted your time!

Caber

I hadn't come across Compiz till the latest backtrack which has a Compiz option.

Its a window manager, similar to KDE/gnome/etc but but fully opengl enabled so very quick and capable of some good graphic effects.

Awm is Avant Window Navigator you'll more info from http://awn-project.org follow the link on the about page.

Thats all I know, I hate glitzy interfaces so steer well clear of even Gnome, sticking with KDE, and my XP is configured with 2K look/feel too.

locogeoff

posted on 12/8/08 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
What model of Eee PC did you opt for, as I'm really interested in buying one, and what are your initial opinions re speed screen size etc
Dillinger1977

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
eee pc's are great. I 'nlited' an XP install on mine (got it down to about 500 megs)

i'd never recommend one as a 'proper' laptop or a desktop replacement, but as just a cheapo web browser they are ace.
yes the keyboard is small but you get used to it (unless you have sausage fingers) and the screen is a bit cramped.

mine is a stock 4g one (701?)
i was going to upgrade main memory to 2 gig and stick an extra 4gb flash in but havent bothered, its fine as it is.

-Rog

iank

posted on 13/8/08 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Here's an example of what compiz fusion looks like when it's running. I'm amazed it looks so good on the modest hardware in an eeepc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM0pzdtCFzs&feature=related

Not got one myself, still justifying it to myself so no experience of setting it up

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.