Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Fireblade oil level
gingerprince

posted on 14/8/08 at 08:01 AM Reply With Quote
Fireblade oil level

I have 1993 and a 1995 Fireblade engines, both 893cc. Looking yesterday at the dipsticks, the one on the 1995 is slightly shorter (my a good few mm), implying that all things being equal between the models you need to put more oil in the 1995 to reach the min/max markers.

As far as I'm aware all changes from 1993-1995 were minor internal changes (I know some gears changed for example), and a lot of part numbers change (MW0 based to MAE based) but generally they are just superceded numbers and interchangeable.

The clutch cover is the same part number, the sump and crankcase are different numbers but I don't believe them to be any different in size. They certainly aren't externally.

Did Honda just realise after the early 'blades that they'd benefit from a bit more oil than they originally thought, or is there another reason I'm overlooking for the shorter dipstick in the '95?

Shilvers

posted on 14/8/08 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
According to the Haynes manual, the '93 engine takes 3.1l excluding filter, the '95 3.5l. They increased the capacity from the '95 onwards. It sounds like the reason for the shorter dipstick, but as to the exact reasons for it, no clue I'm afraid.
Phil.J

posted on 14/8/08 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
In a car installation you should be running more oil than standard anyway because of surge by staying upright in corners.
Not sure of the recommended extra for the Honda engine though, 3/4 Litre?

Andy B

posted on 14/8/08 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
Oil Level

Just spotted your thread and thought I would add our bit -
Bearing in mind most of my stuff runs on the race track here is what we do to keep things safe surge wise wether running billet standard or chopped sump
Fill to top of mark on dipstick or window if 919 engine
Take out plugs and turn engine over until oil pressure is achieved (this way you are not placing compression loadings on shells while op is low)
Let oil level settle while refitting plugs, when happy level is stable refill to top mark again and fire up
Let engine warm up then switch off and let oil settle
Check level is to top mark - if not top up
Then give it a 250ml overfill
Jobs a good un
Things to remember -
blades can take ages to get oil pressure after draining and refilling when cranking over with plugs out - if this is the case get a mate to slacken oil filter then crank engine you will hear a hiss of air then oil will dribble out now tighten filter
Oil surge is subjective it depends how fast you are cornering, braking and accelerating, how much grip you have ie slicks or road tyres but we run over 30 cars on track using the above method and havent blown a blade due to surge in 3 years
hope that helps
regards
Andy

aka Keith

posted on 14/8/08 at 02:59 PM Reply With Quote
Andy, is it roughly the same process for a zx9r engined car?
cheers
Craig

Andy B

posted on 14/8/08 at 05:30 PM Reply With Quote
Pretty much the same for ZX9r - the real important bit is that until you establish that you have oil pressure, crank her over with plugs out. I have known both the blade and ZX9 turn over for ages before achieving pressure, makes you wonder how much damage is done on day one with all the best intentions
regards
Andy

gingerprince

posted on 15/8/08 at 08:13 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, good tips there.
simoto

posted on 15/8/08 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Ditto above, And cheers for all the phone advice too over the last few weeks.
si

striker/blade now complete, thanks to all on this site.

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 27/8/08 at 03:11 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting...

Has anyone attempted to get oil pressure when cranking a GSXR750/1000 with the plugs out? I crank to no avail, but the oil presure certainly comes in with a bang when I start it. I don't like doing this, I've always got a good head of pressure on the car units before attempting a start, but can never get the slightest reading on the Racetech when cranking the Gixxer.

enginearin

posted on 8/5/12 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
Apologies for ressurecting an old thread but, further to Andy's post:

quote:
Originally posted by Andy B
Fill to top of mark on dipstick or window if 919 engine
Take out plugs and turn engine over until oil pressure is achieved (this way you are not placing compression loadings on shells while op is low)
Let oil level settle while refitting plugs, when happy level is stable refill to top mark again and fire up
Let engine warm up then switch off and let oil settle
Check level is to top mark - if not top up
Then give it a 250ml overfill
Jobs a good un

Does anyone have any ideas on how to ensure that the level attained through the 250ml overfill is being maintained over time?

Basically, if your engine uses / breathes oil with use, then how do you know? There is no way i can see to monitor the oil level until it gets back to the level of the window.

I'm stumped, any thoughts???

Thanks

Tim

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/5/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 893 blade now with a dip stick, so its not a problem Ive just put a small mark on the dip stick, but like you say the problem is when you have a sight glass, you don't know if your engine oil is being maintained at the 250ml overfill, what I did with my 929 blade and zx10r with a sight glass, put in the extra 250ml, jack the front of the car up until the oil level is in the centre of the window on the line, I found with both my cars a 4" block of wood would just fit under the front wheels, so I new each time I checked the oil if I jacked it up to 4", that would be the correct level to top up to the centre line on the sight glass

[Edited on 19/05/04 by PAUL FISHER]

enginearin

posted on 8/5/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by PAUL FISHER
I have a 893 blade now with a dip stick, so its not a problem Ive just put a small mark on the dip stick, but like you say the problem is when you have a sight glass, you don't know if your engine oil is being maintained at the 250ml overfill, what I did with my 929 blade and zx10r with a sight glass, put in the extra 250ml, jack the front of the car up until the oil level is in the centre of the window on the line, I found with both my cars a 4" block of wood would just fit under the front wheels, so I new each time I checked the oil if I jacked it up to 4", that would be the correct level to top up to the centre line on the sight glass

Good idea... bit of room for error i'm sure, but far better than guesswork. I'll have a crack at that, thanks!

PAUL FISHER

posted on 8/5/12 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
You might find Tim, you may have to jack your car up to 3" or 5"etc to get the oil to the centre of the sight glass, both mine just happen to be 4", but what ever it is it should be near enough
Hellfire

posted on 8/5/12 at 04:16 PM Reply With Quote
We found that a 250ml overfill on a ZX12R engine, shows on the sight glass as about three quarters full with the engine running. We try to maintain that level.

Phil

enginearin

posted on 8/5/12 at 04:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire
We found that a 250ml overfill on a ZX12R engine, shows on the sight glass as about three quarters full with the engine running. We try to maintain that level.

Phil

There's another plan! I'll investigate that too. Thanks

Smigga

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hellfire

Phil

Just checked my level in the glass on my Megablade with a 919, its resting on the bottom mark, is this a true representation? Its been thrashed for about 200 miles since last oil change and it does have a catch tank, should I be topping her up?

Dave

Proby

posted on 14/5/12 at 08:58 PM Reply With Quote
Top it up Dave, I run my 919 with the sight glass full to the brim. Keep an eye on the level, might be interesting to see if there is any in the catch tank if it's dropped over the 200 mile.
Smigga

posted on 14/5/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
Cheers Proby, not sure what oil was used on last service I can probably find out, but if not what shall I use?

Dave

maccmike

posted on 15/5/12 at 04:46 AM Reply With Quote
great posts and replies. cheers guys

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.