Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: I'm opening my heart up to the LCB (a tiny bit)
paul the 6th

posted on 15/8/08 at 12:07 AM Reply With Quote
I'm opening my heart up to the LCB (a tiny bit)

Relocating - who's done it and how did you cope?

In may I moved from my home town in west yorkshire to York to continue my relationship with the missus. She moved down from middlesbrough to be with me last year in november. She never really settled and struggled being so far away from home. She had plans in place to start work at leeds university as a research assistant but the professor guy was a bit rubbish and it never really came together.

We moved to york to reduce the distance between her & her family, and also because she successfully gained a place on a PhD (at york university starting this october), and because I felt I was ready for a change of scenery & to broaden the mind etc...

This is the tricky bit - I've not really "integrated" into the local area at all since I don't 'have' anything in york. I'm self employed so even if I moved my office from west yorkshire, I still wouldn't have any work colleagues as such, I'm not in any form of education i.e. university, and I don't have any family over here. I've had a few friends over for weekends and been back home for nights out etc, but it's a pretty lonely lifestyle I'm leading lately.

I was wondering if anyone might have any advice from their own experience of relocating. Also, I've been considering getting into some volunteer/charity work around york as a way of getting out & about, and also to meet like minded people. Could anyone offer any advice about this sort of thing?

Any advice/ideas etc is properly appreciated

p.s. I love her a lot so there's no point in saying "get rid" or "move home" etc... just looking for others' experiences on how they adapted and started new lives/found ways of making new friends in a new area

thanks in advance, paul w

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users

posted on 15/8/08 at 06:27 AM Reply With Quote
Hi,

Getting to know the neighbours might be a good first step.
Mine are among my very best friends.
You never know, while your sitting watching Top Gear/ F1/ Olympics, he/they might be doing the same.
Ask them round for a cuppa.

I work with people that don't even know the names of their neighbours. Sad

ATB
Paul G

paul the 6th

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:51 AM Reply With Quote
Next door: andy is a self employed gardener, his wife works for national rail in york and their daughter went to uni in warwickshire and has just got back = she's a little bit nutty from speaking to her for about 2 minutes lol...

There are a few in york but I've not even ordered my welder yet (should be in the next few weeks!). As soon as I've ordered that I'll be an official builder but money has a been a bit tight. Met up with RichardK at a local autojumble and he seemed like a good guy - even invited me round to have a look at his car & let me have some scrap metal = top guy

we live on the end of a culdesac so no neighbours other side lol. Im doing a bit of research into volunteer work today and I've already for the number for york rowing club from the gym (since I've always loved rowing).

It's good to know there's others who've been through the same and you're not the only one when life feels a bit odd. Thanks for the replies guys

GoDesign.me.uk - Self Adhesive Vinyl Artwork, Wide Format Printed Artwork and Customised Heat Pressed Clothing...

--------

http://picasaweb.google.com/haynesroadster - Roadster Photo Build Log

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
DavidW

posted on 17/8/08 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
It might not be much help but when I had to move around a bit for work, joining the local rugby club helped to make friends.

David

Confused but excited.

posted on 17/8/08 at 08:18 PM Reply With Quote
We moved here ten years ago and didn't know a soul.
The trick is not to assume people are stand offish because they don't speak to you first. They might be thinking the same a bout you.
So make a point of speaking to your nieghbours. As stated previously, seek out like minded people, rowing club etc.
We made some really good friends here, even though my Welsh is still crap.
I am so glad that we made the effort, as I lost my soul mate of 37 years last month ,after a short but vicious fight against kidney cancer that metastasised to her bones and brain.
I would have been totally f*cked if it hadn't been for some very good friends ( I am 100 miles away from family).
So make the effort dude.
It's well worth it.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

RK

posted on 18/8/08 at 02:09 AM Reply With Quote
Ignore the world and get to work in the garage.

I have nothing to complain about by most people's standards (good business, decent health, wife who is always up for a good game of golf, inlaws that feed us regularly, $1.25/litre fuel), but we moved several THOUSAND Kms from my home and most people in my neighbourhood speak a different language (French). I am homesick beyond description after 9 1/2 years. I am saving to move home, but houses are not coming down in price, and the other half isn't really into it.

My hatred for this awful place must come through to people, so watch for that: people want to be around happy, harmless, dimmer-than-they-are people.

I truly believe after a certain age you can't meet new people like you used to, but I sincerely wish you the best of luck.

TimC

posted on 18/8/08 at 01:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DavidW
It might not be much help but when I had to move around a bit for work, joining the local rugby club helped to make friends.

David

I concur - made some good mates at the Rugby club - in fact my only mates in Cardiff apart from a few chaps I've met on here.

pbura

posted on 18/8/08 at 03:22 PM Reply With Quote
You seem to be a young fellow yet (20s?) so this is still a good time to make friends. In fact, I have made new friends through every stage of life except for the past few years, because of focus on business and caring for elderly parents.

I suggest explaining to new acquaintances that you are new in town, looking to become more involved locally, and asking "What's good to do?" This opens a conversation without necessarily obligating them. You may receive some invitations to events, clubs, etc., as a result.

Also, tag along occasionally to your wife's work-related events as that may result in invitations to private social functions.

The best friendships are formed in times of need, so be a helper when you can and don't be shy about asking for assistance when you need it.

Good luck!

Pete

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.