Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Newer Petrol or Older Diesel?
Slowmotion

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:44 AM Reply With Quote
Newer Petrol or Older Diesel?

I'm about to sell my 04 Reg Petrol Focus which I bought 3-years ago.

Basically I don't want to move backwards in terms of age so I'm looking for an 07 Reg replacement. I need a hatchback (carry a lot of stuff around) and prefereably something slightly larger than the Focus.

At the moment I'm considering a Petrol Mazda 6, Petrol Mondeo or possibly a Diesel Focus (can't afford O7 reg Diesel Mazda or Mondeo).

What do you think I should do?

John.

001Ben

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
what sort of mileage do you do a year?
Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:49 AM Reply With Quote
Depends... how many miles do u do in a week? my diesel mondeo 2006 does 45+ mpg on motorway. but if u only plod round town then a small petrol would be fine if not better

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

Slowmotion

posted on 15/8/08 at 11:50 AM Reply With Quote
Around 15K
iank

posted on 15/8/08 at 12:00 PM Reply With Quote
Enough in the pot for a diesel Focus estate?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

richardh

posted on 15/8/08 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
look at this first
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/petrol-bills-calculator

Myke 2463

posted on 15/8/08 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Mondeo TDCI 130 estate. I agree with Ben. seats 5, big boot, good for towing, driven steady to work ( 10 miles on " A " roads 50 + MPG,) 120 mph, good overtaking, what more do you want ? had mine 5 years and no intention of changing.

Mike.

mcerd1

posted on 15/8/08 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
Personaly I'd keep the Focus, but then I really like Mk1 Focus's

I'd always go for the older car

low milage if possible, but always 1st class condition (milage + condition is much more important than age)

K999NNY

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Whats your budget? My father in law has a Mazda 6 2ltr TS auto which he couldnt take to at all. He is just waiting on delivery of 2ltr manual 57 plate laguna whcih I have to say id never have considered but it is very impressive.
adam1985

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
why dont you do what i did by the petrol one that you want then convert it to lpg winner!!
Ben_Copeland

posted on 15/8/08 at 02:53 PM Reply With Quote
Mines a 155bhp TDCI amazing torque best car i've ever owned. Estate boot is massive!

quote:
Originally posted by Myke 2463
Mondeo TDCI 130 estate. I agree with Ben. seats 5, big boot, good for towing, driven steady to work ( 10 miles on " A " roads 50 + MPG,) 120 mph, good overtaking, what more do you want ? had mine 5 years and no intention of changing.

Mike.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

britishtrident

posted on 15/8/08 at 03:05 PM Reply With Quote
You should very carefully check out the new road tax bands for the exact model before buying anything --- simple options like AC or auto transmission can put a car up a one or two of tax bands.

As to the Mondeo Tdi it is bit rough & noisy compared to other modern diesels, also be aware simple jobs like changing a fuel injector requires dealer level diagnostic equipment.

LPG is a good low running cost option but it takes up boot space for the tank and selling on can be problem.

Slowmotion

posted on 15/8/08 at 03:28 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks everyone for your advice.

I think I'll test drive the Petrol Mazda 6 over the weekend and see how it feels.

The Diesel would probably be the better choice in the long run but unless I settle for an older vehicle I can't really afford one.

John.

MakeEverything

posted on 16/8/08 at 07:08 AM Reply With Quote
I know your dilemma only too well. I bought a 53 130hp TDCI Mondeo and its great. I travel 100 miles per day, and it loves it. It cruises in 6th gear and averages 55MPG (lowest ive seen is 30 on a run if you boot it). Its got a great big boot, more room inside than the merc C180 i had (Newer model 51 plate) and loads of grunt. Good enough for the average joe.

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

mr henderson

posted on 16/8/08 at 09:50 AM Reply With Quote
Interesting topic this. Onew thing that doesn't often come up with discussions like these are the cost of the depreciation. There has to be a point at which one could be spending money (depreciation) to save it (in perceived lower fuel costs)

I run an M reg Volvo 960 estate!

John

Simon

posted on 16/8/08 at 11:05 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
There has to be a point at which one could be spending money (depreciation) to save it (in perceived lower fuel costs)
John

Agreed. That's exactly what I did

But then my ZT260 was costing me (based on 7000 mpa) £1500 fuel, £600 tyres, £200 rfl (with the promise by GB to put it up to £400) and servicing of £250.

Then there's the fact the manufacturer is no more and some parts may get impossible to get.

Car was bought for nearly £20k, sold for £7.2k.

Bought Espace for £20k (£7k off list for ex demo!!!), costs me £170 month finance, but that is paid for in fuel, insurance and tyre savings.

And it'll be worth somethingin 3 years, unlike the ZT (much as I thought it was a great car!

ATB

Simon

Davey D

posted on 16/8/08 at 11:42 AM Reply With Quote
Ive just got an 05 plate Astra estate 1.7cdti. you can pick them up now for around £4.5k

Granted it isnt the most powerful car out there, but it is big with loads of boots space, and is cheap to run. Insurance group 4, Tax band C, 44.8Mpg Urban, 68.9mpg extra urban

mr henderson

posted on 16/8/08 at 11:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Simon
quote:
Originally posted by mr henderson
There has to be a point at which one could be spending money (depreciation) to save it (in perceived lower fuel costs)
John

Agreed. That's exactly what I did

But then my ZT260 was costing me (based on 7000 mpa) £1500 fuel, £600 tyres, £200 rfl (with the promise by GB to put it up to £400) and servicing of £250.

Then there's the fact the manufacturer is no more and some parts may get impossible to get.

Car was bought for nearly £20k, sold for £7.2k.

Bought Espace for £20k (£7k off list for ex demo!!!), costs me £170 month finance, but that is paid for in fuel, insurance and tyre savings.

And it'll be worth somethingin 3 years, unlike the ZT (much as I thought it was a great car!

ATB

Simon

£170 a month for a £20,000 car sounds like a cracking good deal. Where did you get that from, may I ask?

John

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.