Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Zetec SE installation query
angus.d

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE installation query

Hope someone can help

Have bought a part built Locost with an FZR1000 pre-EXUP motor installed (but not plumbed or wired in).

Am currently wrestling with the BEC/CEC decision, but if I decided to go CEC I would be particularly interested in the Ford Zetec SE all alloy engine (probably in 1.6/1.7 guise).

The main reasons are that Caterham have picked this engine to replace the K-Series (so they'll have done a fair bit of research into the job) and what I understand is its tuneable and comparatively light compared to Pinto, Zetec-E, Vauxhall red top etc.

How easy would this install be and what gearbox and other parts would be necessary for the installation. I understand this engine does not bolt to standard Type 9.

Which version would be best for tuning (I understand there are 1.6 and 1.7 versions some with/without variable valve timing. Which are most readiliy available ?)

Any positive advice appreciated

Angus

Yellowperilous

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:17 PM Reply With Quote
Zetec SE

I have a Zetec SE in my Shawspeed, have a look at their website. Great engine as long as you baffle the sump if you use it on trackdays. I've 180bhp out of the 1.6 with Piper cams, Omex and jenvey TB's. Revs to 8k easily. Shawspeed sell the bellhousing conversion for the type9 gearbox. Good light engine with plenty of power/tuning potential. It'll replace the pinto as the engine of choice in years to come.
adam1985

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:21 PM Reply With Quote
aint that abit of a backwards step going from a bec to cec
Paul TigerB6

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:23 PM Reply With Quote
No knowledge of this engine personally but i know a company called Shawspeed developed it and their website shows a bellhousing to convert it to use with the type 9 gearbox.

Anyway, to give you some reading (even though BEC is the answer....

Shawspeed

Editted to say..... WAYYYYYYY to slow!!!

[Edited on 26/8/08 by Paul TigerB6]

Paul (Notts)

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1.7vvt puma engine that I am planning to use in my next build...

So interesting to see what other people do and what power they get from them.

One thing I have found out is the cam belt needs to be changed around 50,000 miles as they often let go around 60+ ( ford originally said 80+ miles)

Paul

adam1985

posted on 26/8/08 at 12:39 PM Reply With Quote
forgot to mention my missus used to have a puma with the 1.7 in it was very nippy and fun to drive so much so i always used to nick it even though its a bit of a g4y looking car
nick205

posted on 26/8/08 at 01:12 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yellowperilous
It'll replace the pinto as the engine of choice in years to come.

I think the Zetec E (1.8/2.0) already did that some time ago and is likely itself to be surplanted by the Duratec 2.0 which is every bit as good as the 1.6/7 Zetec SE, but with the temptation of more power to start with and even more power readily available.

(PS - not dissing the SE engine in any way, just highlighting that the bigger capacity/higher power engines generally become the more popular choice)

Yellowperilous

posted on 26/8/08 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
zetec se

one of the good features of the 1.6 Se is it's weight, it is an alloy engine half the weight of a 1.8 or 2.0 so the question is: can a 1.8/2.0 make enough more power than the 1.6 to overcome the extra weight? Also the 1.6 balances the weight of the car nicely rather than having a cast iron lump in the front! Power to weight ratio is more critical than just pure power.
Everyone raves about bike engines, the Zetec SE was designed by Yamaha for Ford!!!!!!

D Beddows

posted on 26/8/08 at 03:32 PM Reply With Quote
I still have a rwd zetec SE bellhousing for sale btw £130 inc postage to a UK destination and it's yours!!
nick205

posted on 26/8/08 at 04:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yellowperilous
one of the good features of the 1.6 Se is it's weight, it is an alloy engine half the weight of a 1.8 or 2.0 so the question is: can a 1.8/2.0 make enough more power than the 1.6 to overcome the extra weight? Also the 1.6 balances the weight of the car nicely rather than having a cast iron lump in the front! Power to weight ratio is more critical than just pure power.
Everyone raves about bike engines, the Zetec SE was designed by Yamaha for Ford!!!!!!

The (Mazda designed) Duratec is also all alloy and extremely capable.

Then again Peugeot were making all alloy engines back in the 80's - admitedly they didn't lend themselves to longitudinal RWD installation though

bigfoot4616

posted on 26/8/08 at 08:54 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by adam1985
forgot to mention my missus used to have a puma with the 1.7 in it was very nippy and fun to drive so much so i always used to nick it even though its a bit of a g4y looking car

just bought one for my girlfriend and have to admit to doing the same already

omega 24 v6

posted on 26/8/08 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

aint that abit of a backwards step going from a bec to cec

No I think you'll find that a backward step is what you need to reverse a BEC

If it looks wrong it probably is wrong.

procomp

posted on 27/8/08 at 07:14 AM Reply With Quote
Hi It's a good light engine that can produce good power if wanting to spend some extra cash on it. MAWMAW on here runs a 1600 with a genuine 180+ Bhp using shawspeed. And there is Pumawestie on here who runs a 1.7 with a genuine 240 Bhp.

Only thing to take in to account is that if using a wet sump. No one as yet has done one that survives racing/track days. So a dry sump or an acusump setup is required.

Cheers Matt

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.